You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

NYbird

• "NYbird" started this thread

Reg: Feb 17th 2008

Friday, April 11th 2008, 9:20am

Newly pregnant and looking for a new job

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me. I was in the middle of an IVF cycle when my employer laid me off after working for them for 9 months. They didn't know that I was having IVF at the time. DH and I decided not to cancel the cycle because we weren't going to let it stop our lives. We had been waiting to do IVF for the last year (because my previous employer went out of business and shut down). The IVF was successful I am pregnant 5w3d... it's very early days. I'm having my first scan at 6w and a second at 7w.

I started interviewing the week after my egg collection (3 weeks ago), and things are going well. I have a couple of different opportunities in the works. Some are freelance and some are permanent. I guess my question is should I tell a prospective employer that I am pregnant? Should I wait until I get an offer, then tell them? Or should I not say anything at all until three months has passed? Or should I forget about permanent roles and just look at freelance, even if they don't pay as well as the permanent roles. If everything goes ok with the pg, I would be working for a max of 7 months before maternity leave started. I do intend to return to work after the baby comes and will probably do 6 months.

I'm really struggling with this right now because it's such early days being pg. I have had a m/c in the past but I desperately want to stay pg. I survived IVF while being laid off and I feel that this baby is a real gift. But I also need to work to support my family. I'm feeling really confused and not sure how to handle this. Any advice?

Thanks in advance...
Me 38, DH 34
Dx: PCOS, the works: no AF, excess hair, weight gain
Tx: 2 tamoxifen, 9 clomid, many IUIs, 2 IVF
Beautiful DD, 2yo from 2nd IVF
Dec 07 FET, failed
Feb 08 IVF No 3, BFP!
It's a boy!

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Friday, April 11th 2008, 10:19am

If I were in your shoes I would take a permanent opportunity if possible and don't tell them you are pregnant until as late as possible, i.e after you have commenced employment. I'd also then pretend it was a surprise, i.e. they don't need to know that you conceived via IVF.

Congratulations by the way !
Vivvy
Me 37 DH 34 (male factor)
4 x ICSI + 3 x MED FET

BFP (MED FET 2 x day 6 blasties + aspirin) Baby boy 08/08/09, a big fat 8lbs 9ozs !!!
BFP (Fresh 2 x day 5 blasties + aspirin) but m/c at 6 weeks
BFP (Fresh 2 x day 5 blasties + aspirin) TWINS DUE MARCH 2011

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Friday, April 11th 2008, 3:03pm

Hi Chick Huge Congrats.
YOu know how I feel. go for the job that suits you best and being Pregnant shouldnt come into it so i would say nothing xx x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Sunday, April 13th 2008, 4:43pm

it best not to tell your new employer until you get into the job. wait till you are settle in the job and then tell them maybe when you are 4 months pregnant. but it is your decision to take.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE