You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "olothechick" started this thread

Reg: Dec 6th 2006

Children: 1 little boy

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 7:15pm

moses baskets

one of my very close friends have said to me that they have there moses basket from the last baby and if i want it i am welcome to it, i was just wondering if its safe to use a second hand one as i have heard you should not use a second hand cot mattress does the same apply to a moses basket?

TTC#1 4y
:BFP: 04/09 M/C

Lap 06 endo + scar tissue
Lap 08/07 laser of endo + adhesions

:BFP: 12/07 baby7Lucas born 11/09/08
Now TTC#2 since aug 09(please dont mention on fb)

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 7:39pm

Nowt wrong with second hand hun, you should get a new mattress though just to be on the safe side and you can get them off Ebay for around £8 :happy:

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 8:02pm

I bought a new mattress for my 2nd hand one. A was in it for about 4 weeks, tops. And hated it. :snigger:

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 9:03pm

Ideal i will have a look for a mattress just thought it would save us a little bit of money and you just dont no how long they are going to be in them x

TTC#1 4y

Reg: Feb 20th 2008

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 6:22am

I've been given one too. The matress is plastic coated- can I not just give it a wipe down? (Sorry, I'm a novice- I don't know these things!) :snigger:
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Ectopic Oct 06- right tube removed
Endometriosis
First IVF cycle began 5th Feb 08
:BFP: 16th March bab11
:cuddle

Baby Gregory born 10 weeks early on September 20th. baby1

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 8:53am

Its entirerely upto you hun, can I just ask if you mean the whole lot is plastic coated or is there a foam part at the head? I only ask as safety standards recommend the head part is foam with safety air holes for adequate ventilation :)

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 9:08am

Oh Gosh! This is entirely plastic coated! I shall have to buy a new one- thanks so much for letting me know Missy! This is a Mothercare one but maybe it's old (or maybe the standards are just different here?)
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Endometriosis

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 9:11am

I would not use a plastic mattress, it would get very sweaty.

I kept on using my second hand mat but got a new mattress cover.
My mattress is from this company and they are great to deal with: http://www.naturalmat.com/
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 12:52pm

:8o: I had all plastic on mine they were them like that from Babes R us, how long has that guidline been in Missy ???
Mine were winter babies so didn't get sweaty but in summer I think Torisen is right it proberbly will get sweaty. x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 1:03pm

I can't actually find anything on the web now, I'm sure it was Emmas Diary or something like that I read it in ?(

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 1:04pm

Quoted

Originally posted by spider smiles
Oh Gosh! This is entirely plastic coated! I shall have to buy a new one- thanks so much for letting me know Missy! This is a Mothercare one but maybe it's old (or maybe the standards are just different here?)

I also have a mothercare Moses Basket recently purchased NEW and it has a full waterproof mattress on it too-I was thinking maybe its something to do with the standards...

Will have to check on line somewhere.

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 1:06pm

RE: moses baskets

Quoted

Originally posted by olothechick
one of my very close friends have said to me that they have there moses basket from the last baby and if i want it i am welcome to it, i was just wondering if its safe to use a second hand one as i have heard you should not use a second hand cot mattress does the same apply to a moses basket?

I think it is safe and I also echo what the other girls have said, just pick up a new mattress-bub's shouldn't be in it too long anyway so save some money to buy stuff else where :happy:

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 3:55pm

Yes that's true- that's why I don't mind a second hand one as there's no point paying lots if it's only used for a few months is there? I think if I give the mattress a good dettol down and put nice clean sheets on it, it should be ok?
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Endometriosis

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 5:24pm

I have been wondering about moses baskets for weeks now , is it recommended to put them in it for the first few weeks/ months or could you go straight for the cot , I was offered a moses basket from my sister but she had it gave to her 2nd hand and she thinks the girl who gave it to her got it 2nd hand so i have opted to buy a new one if it is nessisery to have one... This is my first time so like Emma im not very clued up on whats what...

Any advice would be great

Teresa
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

Torisen

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 6:19pm

I was bedsharing with DS for 7 months and then popped him straight in the cot.
The cot was a bedside cot so now and then he slept in there anyway.

We never had a moses basket..

Bed sharing is natural and great as long as you know what your sleeping is like. I know I would never roll onto him and I am a light sleeper (so is DH).
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 8:02pm

Crikey, I would flatten the poor thing!!!!

No-way do i trust myself to bad share, DH and I have a super kingsize as it is coz we both are bed hogs and its the only way not to kill each other, little DJ wouldn't last a second.

Guess its a basket for us, unless they can go straight to cot.... think me and the newbies are gonna have to get a baby book or two soon lol

c
xx
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 8:55pm

You can go straight to the cot if you want, the only reason most people don't is that babies are sooo tiny that the cot doesn't seem very cosy at all. I used a moses basket 'inside' a cot just because I didn't have a moses basket stand.

My moses basket and crib both have completely waterproof covers, the crib was bought 4 years ago. I seem to remember having a cot mattress that had a third which 'wasn't' waterproof but it was at the top.... which defeated the 'feet to foot' object.

A few years ago there was a hoohaa about second hand cot mattresses because, before they were waterproof, babies would be sick on the mattress, it would fester in the centre, go mouldy and release spores. So... parents were told to get waterproof or brand new mattresses .... but then we were told that waterproof ones could suffocate babies (if they lay completely face down in a very specific position :rolleyes: ) so THEN we were advised to get half waterproof, half not... but the non waterproof bit was at the top :rolleyes:

I just don't think it matters...!

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 11:35am

I used a 2nd hand moses basket from a friend, she then used it on her #2 and I got it back again for my #2 then my sister-in-law got it for hers so I am all for the 2nd hand moses basket ( I am Scottish so I like to save money!) - I did buy a new matress having said that...the one I got was from Mothercare and the foamy part was covered in plastic but then there was another breathable layer that went on over that, with a zipper so you could remove it and wash it.
Also got 2nd hand cot from my sister-in-law, but again got a new matress for that....I got a new matress for #2 when it was his time to use the cot because my 1st child was a big boy and the matress had started to dip in the middle a bit!
One of my friends got the very cheap cot from Ikea (think its about 40 quid or something) as it was a fraction smaller than most cots and she just used that from day one.....but the matress that came with it was horrible so she managed to get a special size matress from Mothercare to fit it.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 11:56am

yeh i am definatly going to get a new mattress for my moses basket but it is nice to save a little money here and there

TTC#1 4y

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 1:45pm

Baby can go straight into a cot but I've read in lots of places that baby now needs to sleep in mum and dads room for the first 6 months. We've opted for a cotbed and there's no way we could get one in our room so we're not going to buy a moses basket but more likely to use the carrycot from a travel system we've seen as babies first bed. It's part of the pram system anyway so why not get your money worth from it. If you can get a second hand moses snaffle it quick cause personally I think buying new is a waste for only a few months use esp if like most of us you're on a tight budget. If we did have the room though I would def put baby straight into cot and have him next to my side of the bed. As it is I can see myself getting up every 5 mins to check he's ok, having him right next to me would be so much easier...but it's not to be. Don't know if that helps anyone but I just thought I'd stick my oar in :snigger:

PT xxx

TTC#1 Aug 02-Feb 08
Jan/Feb 08 - IVF#1 - BFP
It's A Boy

Oct 17th 08 - Baby Sam is born

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 2:00pm

My 2 were in Sc untill 3 weeks old they then used Moses Baskets for 9 weeks and were in cots at 12 weeks old They cost £100 for both baskets a lot of pennies for 9 weeks wear :sadface:

mayo

Star

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 2:32pm

My eldest boy was only in his moses basket until he was about 9 weeks before we had to move him to his cot cos he was so big! He ended up being in our room until he was almost 2 years old! Had a lovely little flat but only 1 bedroom and 1 boxroom so we knew we had to sell up and move on and didn't make the boxroom into a nursery for fear of putting off potential buyers...thought it would be strange for him (and me!) the first night he was in his own bedroom...all the way down the hall!!....but he loved it and I got the best night's sleep in ages! He was a pretty good sleeper, but every time he stirred or rolled over or made the slightest noise, it would wake me up!
With #2 we had a large dressing room off of our bedroom so we made that a nursery and he slept in there from night one and he slept from 11pm until 6 am! We thought that was just fluke but he carried on like that, sleeping longer and longer until 10 weeks then slept from 7pm until 7am! I obviously can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure his being in a seperate (but very close-by!) room had a lot to do with his wonderfull sleep pattern....no way I could have done that with baby #1 though as I would have been getting up every 2 minutes to check he was ok so with him it was nice I could see him from my bed.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 3:49pm

Mayo - A friend of mine had her two boys ages ago and put both of them in their own room from day one. They also slept brilliantly. I remember her telling me when I do get pregnant never let baby sleep with you in the same room. She said it was the best advise she was ever given. I think this new thing about baby sleeping with you has come about quite recently due to cot death research but where/in what baby sleeps is a dilema. I'm thinking leave baby in carrycot in our room till about 3-4 months then put carrycot in cot for next 2 months and then straight into cot.

PT xxx

TTC#1 Aug 02-Feb 08
Jan/Feb 08 - IVF#1 - BFP
It's A Boy

Oct 17th 08 - Baby Sam is born

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 7:13pm

I must admit I was kinda thinking of putting baby straight into his own room just across from ours, as DH is a BIG snore monster and I just cant see how little one would sleep through it, was gonna stick a sofe in babies room so I could crash on it if needed.... like i said, I need to read a book me thinks!!!

ANy goos suggestions???
Cathie

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 7:47pm

I might just do what feels right when I come to it. Predicting that baby beside us will feel right though!!! :innocent:
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Endometriosis

mayo

Star

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 9:28pm

We are in another different house this time around but there is a dressing-room off of our room again and this time the door is opposite our bed so I will be able to put moses/cot in there and still be able to see him/her from our bed if I leave the door open.

Cathie - my hubbie is a snorer too ...it used to keep me awake until I had the kids and now I sleep right through it! Anyhow, even his snoring didn't seem to disturb baby, luckily, since we didn't have much choice other than to have him in our room until he was almost 2 years old!

My friend did put her 1st in her own room from day one and I remember at the time thinking I just couldn't do that with my 1st, even if I'd had the option, but for whatever reason, I felt comfortable enough to have #2 in his own room right away, probably only because it was so close to ours.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 9:20am

Yeah, think it will prob be like Em said, you'll just feel whats right for you and go for it. DH also farts in his sleep, so risk of gassing is high!!!!

MEN!!!
Cathie

Torisen

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 9:26am

Cathie, bubs have been listening to your digestion and heart beat for around 30 weeks (whenever hearing is developed) when they are born. Complete peace and silence is unknown to them.
A bit of hoover, snoring, farting etc is a piece of cake for a baby that have been swallowing and inhaling his/her own wee for a few weeks in utero :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 12:44pm

i also think you need to get them use to a bit of noise otherwise you wont be able to do anything without them waking up

TTC#1 4y

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 1:06pm

Isnt Noise is a good thing helps them falling into too deep asleep, thats what my HV told me????
In s-care they used to hoover round there cots. Its quite funny really I tiptoe round at night yet out on a walk trucks and tractors can pass and they do not flinsh :rolleyes: typical.

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 5:16pm

Lol, you know what, i really DO need that baby book!!!!

Always considered myself ok knowledge wise etc, as have been fav aunty / god mother/ pal / reliable nutty baby mad friend for so many long long years I was relaxed, but hey, never even thought of this sorta thing!!!

Well noise and gases in our house are the norm, so hey DJ will be right at home!!!
Cathie

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE