You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 8:15am

At last!

I'm at work reading a magazine called Pulse which is for GPs. There is an article about infant feeding and it says
"The weight charts in the UK are mainly based on average weights of both bottle-fed and breast-fed babies. The World Health Organisation has produced new charts based on breast fed babies weights alone but these are not yet in general use here.
They do demonstrate the fact that at most ages a fully breat fed baby is likely to be lighter than their bottle fed counter part, but that does not mean they are under weight.
So weight charts should only be used as a guide and it is vital to take into account the baby's general health and contentment as well as stools."

Good to know GPs are at least being told this!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 8:29am

Too right at last!

It's something we all know but when a HV is shaking her head and looking at you with pity because your child is not gaining weight as the chart dictates they should be you do feel like a complete failure. My HV said they had the charts and she was going to get me one for BF babies?! I will ask again....

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 8:35am

That's really good news !

We ended up buying our own scales to monitor M's weight because I was fed up being 'told off' by the H/V !

On one occasion she mentioned M being referred for tests,you only have to look at her to know she is not ill !

I'm sure I found the charts somewhere during my many hours of Googling.

xxxx

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 8:40am

Quoted

Originally posted by Chilli
Too right at last!

It's something we all know but when a HV is shaking her head and looking at you with pity because your child is not gaining weight as the chart dictates they should be you do feel like a complete failure. My HV said they had the charts and she was going to get me one for BF babies?! I will ask again....

In that case your HV should have never made comments on F's weight, since she already knew this :rolleyes:

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 8:56am

Blimey so how come GPs are only just hearing this? surely this is old news to mums!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 9:27am

One of our GPs told a mum to give a bit of formula to firm up baby's poo. As if firm poo was an important goal in life. :rolleyes: I'm telling ya' they know NOTHING about anything!

Rivka

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 10:13am

what! why does a baby need firm poo? surely the exact opposite?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 8:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rivka
Blimey so how come GPs are only just hearing this? surely this is old news to mums!

'Cos a lot of them are men! They also have a very medically orientated mindset, so although they know that breast is best, they like the fact that with formula you know exactly how much baby is getting. They find the concept of monitoring how a baby is without numbers (x amount of fluid in, x number of wet nappies, x amount of weight on the scales) quite alien to them. All of them have worked in hospital where there are machines for monitoring how people are. They are also used to poorly people who hand over control of their well being to them, they are not trained to enable people (especially fragile new parents) to be in control of their own health. They are used to dealing with one patient with some peripheral relatives, not a mum and baby who's well being is so tied up in one another, they are practically one person.

This is changing though, there are more women GPs, some of whom have successfully breast fed their own children. If you find one, never let them go!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 7:40pm

I haven't! my GP is a lady in her mid forties she has 2 children through IVF she BF both her babies and is brilliant! I didn't even know she was there till after I had Flo and I had a few probs so got to see her, she also tells it like it is!

Missy you are right DH said the same when I got home, bloody ridiculous, mind she wasn't my normal HV :rolleyes:

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 7:49pm

I agree too, saw a female GP at H's 8 week check, who had a young baby herself, and chatted through bfing, and the cluster feeding/frenzy of evening feeding H did, and she was really supportive and said 'yep, all normal, it settles down etc etc' it really helped in my early bfing days, to get support and positivity like that.

<

Rivka

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 7:52pm

My hv came today and is saying that Pud is failing to thrive because she is little. Pud is 22 weeks and she is talking about "us (?) having to wean her"!!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 8:33pm

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can't even imagine Flo having solids yet?! I think she will be like her big sis and take her time.

Rivka

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 9:30pm

ditto, we're in no hurry.

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Monday, June 9th 2008, 5:44pm

good news. i got so sick of being told R was under weight and being told to top up i stopped taking her to be weighed. She is healthy and happy and very advanced for her age.
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE