You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 3:38pm

Prem baby treatment row.

This has made me very angry. Its about the financial burden of treating babies born very premature. What does everyone think about it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4848698.stm

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 3:59pm

hi

dont get me started on this one this is an issue so close to my heart

my dd was born at 25 weeks and i couldnt imagine if she had been a little earlier they wouldnt have helped her

she is now an extremely bright 3 year old with no health problems physical or mental and we were warned this was highly probably

i couldnt imagine how it would feel to be told that the doctors werent even going to try and save your baby

ill stop now because i could go on forever

take care
lovezoexx'
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos
iui dd born 25weeks gestation
6 failed stimmed iui cycles since may 2007

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, March 28th 2006, 4:17pm

It worries me that members of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists spend their days with these babies and their families and yet they are not capable of putting themselves in the parents situation and thinking about their needs, how would they feel if it was their baby? Or they are not spending time with prem babies, in which case, its not their decision to make.

I know the NHS only has a finite amount of money, but these babies are individuals and should be treated as such, not have their treament denied just because they are born too early. How can we develop new treatments and technologies if we don't keep trying to treat babies born earlier and earlier?

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 8:30am

This is an issue close to my heart too. My liitle boy was born at 30 weeks, and obviously would not have survived if it weren't for the amazing care and skills of the neonatal team. He is fine now, and doesn't appear to have any problems. I wil always be grateful for this.

However, i can also see this from the medics point of view. I am a midwife, and have seen many babies born very early,(earlier than 24 weeks) and have faced the enormous consequences of the decision whether or not to commence resucitation of such tiny babies.
the problem is this- once an effort has been made to commence treatment , it is then very difficult ethically to stop (ie "let" the baby die) if the treatment is unlikely to work. sometimes it is kinder not to start in the first place. Unfortunatly though we cannot always predict which babies are the ones that will be the "fighters" that we hear about. The simply is not adequate resources to treat an accomodate every single baby born very very prematurely. This may sound harsh, but it's the way it is.
You'll probably ask me now how i would have felt if my little man had been born 4 or 5 weeks earlier- well i often ask myself the same question. to be honest i don't know the answer.
I would like to think that i could be rational enough to see that if he was not capable of surviving then i could say enough was enough- even though this would have broken my heart. But in truth i don't know that this would have happened.
I don't know that ther is an answer to this massive dillems- but i just wanted to share my views.
sorry for the long ramble, and i apologise if i've upset anyone- i didn't mean to.
xx

Rose

Star

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 7:30pm

i hope i haven't offended anyone by my comments- i truly didn't mean to. I just wanted to share my thoughts, as i have views from both directions.
Just wondering as no-one has responded?
xx

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 7:36pm

i dont think you have offended no one nikki. you are just sharing your view.

i like the baby ticker. is it little thomas sleeping away? :D

Rose

Star

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 7:39pm

Hi victoris- yep- he's asleep now, although it's a bit of a mission at the moment. Not sure why, maybe teething, but just doesn't want to sleep in his cot at the moment. Once he is asleep though he's fine. How about eliana?

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 7:52pm

i noticed a pattern of every other day after her 11.30pm feed she will go off until 8am when i actually have the chance to open the curtain and wake her up. :D

but in another day she wake up 6.30am for water and wake up 7.30am again.
so i am not sure why sometime she will sleep through and another time she will not.

does thomas sleep in your own room or his own?

Rose

Star

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 7:54pm

He sleeps in his own room now, has done so since before xmas. As soon as he went there, he slept from 7.30pm to 6.30am! (apart from at the moment when he's up for ages crying........)

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 7:58pm

it could be teething then. it one thing i am not looking forward to.

have you try rubbing teething gell on his gum? has he got high temperature when he is crying? is it true that when they are teething it can go on for weeks 8o

Rose

Star

Wednesday, March 29th 2006, 8:01pm

Mmmm seems to be. He's been a bit miserable for about 2 weeks now. His cheeks are red hot and is dribbling like crazy. no sign of teeth though. can't be much longer surely?

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, March 30th 2006, 7:27pm

That sounds fun - you get them to go through the night - and then they start teething!!! FUN!! :D

I think that if the babys born early, then everything should be done to save the little mites life. Like mentioned in the article - they should be given every chance, financial burden or not.

Our little girl died in the womb at 24 weeks, but I would like to think that if she had just simply been born early and alive, that she was given the best possible chance. At the end of the day, we have the technology to try so why not?? 8)

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

kel

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Monday, May 8th 2006, 4:12pm

I agree with Samd, that all babies born early should be given a chance to live, there is no way that i would ever let someone tell me that my baby doesnt deserve any treatment just because of lack of resources. if they get their way with this - then what
will they do next - it wont be long before they stop treating people over a certain age - and then they will find something else and so on and so on.
I dont believe that anyone would sit back and watch their child die knowing that there is a chnce they could survive -why dont they use some of the national lottery money instead of givinlg it to art galleries etc - no offence to anyone whose into art etc - but human life is more important -

love to you all - from me and my prem baby (only 4 wks prem thankfully)

kel
xxxx

TTC - 3YRS

3 TRIES OF IUI - ALL FAILED

BFP AUG 05

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Monday, May 8th 2006, 5:47pm

My friend at work had twins at 24 wks and they fought like hell to survive. They have their health probs but they are now 2 years old and have done so well.

Everyone deserves every chance given to live. I know this is a difficult subject though. As I've not been in that position, I don't know what it is like to have a premature baby. But if I ever am, I would want the medics to do everything in their power to help them live.

Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

JoJo

Ace

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 12:04am

I can understand this argument from both sides but tbh If I was in this situation, I dont think I would be in any fit state to be looking at it objectively. Im pretty sure all i would want them to do would be to revive the baby and help them to live. I know Vegie has mentioned that she works with some of the children who she works with were born premature and due to this can have vey severe problems all through life. As Nikki said, how do you know which child is going to be a fighter and which isnt? well you cant, its just not possible. becuse of this point i feel that as much help as possible should be given at the birth and from there on each case should be judged on its own merits. It shouldnt just be a case of saying your baby is born at 23 weeks so we arent going to try to help them..

Jo

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 8:25am

Jo makes a very good point.... the argument is logical from both sides, BUT as a parent I doubt you'd be able to look at the situ from a 'logical' point of view.
This is where we put our trust in the medical staff.

It is up to the staff to make parents aware of every eventuality - if this is done in a caring and clear way, you, as a parent would probably feel as comfortable as you could be in making any decision.

The overall decision should be the decision of the parents as they are the ones to care for the child.

There are some parents who would not want to put their child through the ordeal of aggressive medical intervention. Although no-one can tell anyone how a child is going to react, they do have to treat each case on it's own individual merit. How 1 child reacts to 1 treatment may be totally different to the next, even though they were given the same 40% chance of survival. There are limits to giving help, and that limit should be decided by the parents after having everything explained and all options given to them.

Whilst I do see the point the Royal College are making, their choice of words, and the way it has come across does make out that they want to draw a cut-off line and any child that doesn't meet all the criteria will not be helped. Hopefully this is not how they wish things to be.. but perhaps a little more tact could have been used

Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 9:49am

This is a very difficult subject - I lost My Baby Son Sam in January at 21wks - And as formed as he was and as beautful, i would have hated to see him struggle and struggle and suffer, but up till he was born his heart was still beating and that kills me knowing he was fighting for his life. Both ways breaks my heart.
However if he had been another month on i would definately wanted medical intervention,as there is a good chance of survival.
I can see both sides to the story here.
The midwife who delivered Baby Sam is a friend of mine - and she said shes seen some really bad ways babies have ended up being born so early -
I know i wouldnt have wanted my perfect Baby Sam to have ended up in a bad way -
But they are human Beings and deserve a right to live - if its in Gods plans for them........
Who really knows the best answers............

TTC - 12+ years
IVF/ICSI - May 05 BFN
IVF/ICSI - Sept 05 Very Very long awaited for BFP!!!!(Had Acupuncture & Took Baby Asprin)

Sadly Lost our Beautiful Baby Boy SAM 21 wks Gest - 12th January 2006, and he was truly my miracle....
I Love You Sam xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, May 18th 2006, 8:01am

I agree that there are good arguements both for and against treating very prem babies. I just think a blanket policy of not treating babies born at so may weeks gestation is not the best option. If it was my baby I'd want him/her to be given every possible chance to live but not at the expense of quality of life. I think that each case should be decided idividually taking into account, how prem the baby is, the babies condition and the parents wishes.

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Thursday, May 18th 2006, 7:04pm

Every birth is diffierent. Having a blanket policy is not taking the baby's personal health into account? My friend's twins are slow for 2 years old but healthy. Its just such a difficult situation. Who knows as Oll says.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE