You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "sharon77" started this thread

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 8:53pm

Nappy Rash

Hi all

E-M has a very very sore bottom, she is cutting 6 teeth and had her booster vacsination yesterday, and all in all her poor bottom is RED ROAR , I have tried Drapoline, Sudicream, and HV gave me some Canaston cream, but nothing is helping,
My poor love couldnt even sit in the bath tonight it hurt her soo much, she just screamed and she cries when having a wee or poo because it stings sooo much, the skin is even starting to come off in places
Plaese help

I will take her to docs tomorrow

I hate seeing her in pain :bawl: :bawl:
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 9:12pm

Oh the poor wee soul. I have not tried this personally but my doctor told me the best thing for a sore bottom is raw egg white. As I say never tested it out but it may be worth a shot. Hope it clears up soon. M just got his molars through and he had a bad time of it too but we were lucky sudocream helped xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 9:52pm

Hi there...I had the same thing at that exact stage with my youngest, and I had to clean his bottom every couple of hours with plain water and cotton wool...quick hose down/bath if in the house if there was any poo and then leave nappy off (for as long as you can risk it !) to let the air get at it...that worked without any creams or anything...he'd had patches of broken skin too.
The one time my eldest had nappy rash was when I tried a different brand of nappy and it was then my HV suggested the water/air drying thing, but I also used a cream that time called Bepanthen which worked really well...I'd had a freebie sample tube so that's why I used that particular one but bought more from Boots and continued using it for months as I was too scared to stop using it in case the nappy rash returned! Only applied it after his bath at bedtime and not in daytime....just frequent nappy change, water clean/air dry.
Good luck...hope it clears up soon.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Children: my fur baby shawnee and my beautiful daughter C born Dec 2010

Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 9:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mayo
I also used a cream that time called Bepanthen which worked really well...I'd had a freebie sample tube so that's why I used that particular one but bought more from Boots and continued using it for months as I was too scared to stop using it in case the nappy rash returned!

I have to say i think bepanthen is excellent stuff (i used it after i had my tattoos and they healed really quickly)
TTC for 7 years (MFI and Immune problems)
6 ICSI's so far all BFN
Cycle with Immune treatment in Nottingham - :BFP:

Ellie's PG Diary

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, July 4th 2008, 8:17am

I use bepanthen for everythign and its great. I agree also keep her nappy off as much as you can to let air get to her skin. I would also give calpol for the soreness. And lots of cuddles.

Egg white is a very old fashioned remedy and when I last knew anythign about wound care, there was no evidence that it worked. It also forms a barrier that could prevent oxygen getting to the skin. but its natural and has no chemicals in it. Diddle would know better than me.

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Friday, July 4th 2008, 9:03am

Aw, poor little girl :sadface:

a few of my friends have used metanium cream, and said it was really good.

Hope your appt goes ok, and you get something to help.

xxx

<

Friday, July 4th 2008, 10:35am

be careful with egg white unless you know already she is not allergic to it!!!!

have you or her caregiver changed what wipes you use recently?

tea tree oil in the bathwater will help a bit, as will a bit of bepanthenen cream before bedtime, and simply time.

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Friday, July 4th 2008, 10:43am

sorry about the suggestion sharon - probably best to ignore, just going by what my doc told me an as i never tried it perhaps its best not to in light of what the other girls have said, does sound rather old fashioned eh.

Hope you get on ok at the doc xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Friday, July 4th 2008, 10:56am

Just thought of something max likes to do if he has a sore botty - if you have wooden floors or a tiled floor whip her nappy off and let her sit on the cold floor nappy free. Max loves that and it really helps to cool down the heat in her wee sore bit xxx

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, July 4th 2008, 11:07am

Oh hun, Lauren gets bad nappy rash when she teethes too :( I only use luke warm/ cool (but not cold) water and cotton wool, and literally squeeze the water out of the ball over her skin instead of touching it. Let it air dry or pat it dry with a soft towel and let air get to her bum as much as possible. Bepanthen is great for nappy rash, metanium and sudocrem are a bit too bulky and don't absorb into the skin as easily as this stuff. This is a thinner more slippy cream and I usually see results in a couple of applications. Bathtime again, don't make the water cold or hotter than lukewarm, you may think that the cool would bring some relief but if the skin is broken it means it is raw and the shock of cold on raw hot skin is quite painful :( A good painkiller with some fever relief like calprofen may also help her botty too, and staying away from acidic foods and drinks with stop more burning :(

Just wanted to add, that I probably wouldn't advise using raw egg white on broken skin, just to be on the safe side :)) It would probably be fine on it otherwise :))

Poor E-M, I hope she's better soon

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Friday, July 4th 2008, 11:11am

thanx for the advise girls

I only use cotton wool and water for cleaning her bottom, only use wipes if out and about and cant get to any water

have been changing her nappy evey hour, tried leaving nappy off for a while this morning to let some air to her bot,bot

she is sleeping at the mo, but will try and keep nappy off as much as possible

I will try and get some of that Bepanthum stuff sounds great

thanx again guys blowkiss
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,

Missy

Superstar

Friday, July 4th 2008, 11:48am

Aww mate, even if she is sleeping you can whip her nappy off if you are brave! Stick a soft towel under her, she is unlikely to pee whilst asleep anyway :))

S'no fun at all when they are poorly and in pain :sadface:

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, July 4th 2008, 11:54am

You know, it does sound like thrush and the Canesten cream ought really to be working although it can take a couple of days. Things like Sudocrem are waterproof and tend to cover up the pores on the bottom which means that the skin can't breath which can make things worse. Drapolene doesn't cover the pores and Bepanthen is said to be excellent BUT if it's thrush (which it sounds like) then please leave the other creams off and stick with what your HV has given you.

Missy

Superstar

Friday, July 4th 2008, 12:11pm

mmm yes Bells, good point, its unlikely your HV would have given thrush cream for anything other than thrush. ?( So just to reiterate, stay away from acidic food and drink for a few days, give a really bland diet if possible as you don't want it creeping up and turning into a UTI :(

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Friday, July 4th 2008, 7:34pm

aww Sharon, H had the exact same thing last week. I took her to the docs as it happenned so quickly and we have been so lucky in that she has never had nappy rash before. Her skin was broken and even bled a bit.

Anyway, doc said that metanium was the best out there and would be what they would prescribe. We did use it and within a few days it cleared so quickly. She also said like everyone here has to keep the nappy off as much as possible and avoid tight fitting clothes etc.

Poor EM, big hugs. Must be so sore for them and they don't know why. :hugs:

Rosie
x
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, July 4th 2008, 9:02pm

Hi, Hun, I found that for C even the "occasional" use of wipes would make his skin flare up. He's fine if I use them on his hands but on his little bottom even a single application (and I have tried every brand I could find including the supposedly hypoallergenic ones) would make him get red and sore and if it coincided with a tummy upset his skin became so raw that it bled and, like EM, every contact with his bottom made him scream. I had to treat it with a combination of Daktarin (similar to Canesten) for the thrush and a low dose cortisone cream to counteract the allergic component of the reaction in order to clear it up. I used those twice a day and used a good barrier cream the rest of the time. I could see an improvement within 24 hours (less red) but it took a good few days to clear up/heal.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Tanny

Reg: Jun 27th 2007

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 2:09pm

I have been away for quite some time. Since baby arrived over 4 months ago, I have only just managed to find time.
For nappy rash, I find that leaving baby without a nappy for about 30 mins after botty wash every time I do nappy change has done more for rash than any cream.
Fresh air and open to dry. My little sweetie had nappy rash for about a month, and tried the creams, though they worked, it always remained until I did the above. Even 1 hour without a nappy is ok. A carrier bag placed on the changing mat or table with a muslin placed on top (folded over twice) will allow baby to wee freely if this happens. Always cover her with a blanket to keep her lower half warm though.

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Reg: Apr 16th 2008

Children: One amazing daughter born 14/4/11

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 2:48pm

oh the poor little thing.

my niece had nappy rash severe when she was teething and nothing worked. in the end i tried vaseline to stop her wee and poo going into it and it helped no end. it cleared up really well. x

Friday, July 11th 2008, 8:52pm

Thanx all

E-M bottom is back to normal, thank heavens, it took a whole week to get it right, its deffo the teeth that trigger it off

poor thing has a cold now, its always one thing after another
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 12:02pm

URGENT - Advice on sore bottom

Baby Sam has had a nappy rash since he was 11 days old!!!! nothing will shift it. I've tried all the creams inc. fungal cream from HV and the no nappy/air treatment!!!! tried thin layer of cream and thick layers but no improvement.

Rash appeared about 6 hrs after giving him a formula top up after bf problems. Formula is Aptamil Easy Digest. Could this formula be the reason for the rash? If I go and get a different formula how do I change him gradually from one to the other? Any suggestions welcome.

I've tried him on Aptamil First Infant milk but he brings this straight back however I didn't introduce this gradually, didn't think it would be a problem being the same brand. Should I try SMA or Cow & Gate.

Going to try Huggies nappies instead of Pampers too, but next stop is the doctors I think.

PT

TTC#1 Aug 02-Feb 08
Jan/Feb 08 - IVF#1 - BFP
It's A Boy

Oct 17th 08 - Baby Sam is born

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 1:27pm

It could be that his wee is acidic and that may be to do with the milk. I can't advise you about swapping milks I'm afraid but I'm sure that someone will be along soon. Do you offer formula after each and every breastfeed and is there any chance you could drop it and go back to bf exclusively to see if that eliminated the problems?

kanga

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Children: Burton BCRM

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 2:15pm

would ask doctor or midwife before changing milk but have you tried, a naapy cream we used to use in nursery if really bad, worked wonders, was yellow and began with met something, cant think, preg brain i think. hope he is ok xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 2:20pm

Metanium

Some people swear by Bepanthen and Drapolene also when Sudocrem fails.

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 3:17pm

Bells hunnie I know you reply to lots of people so I doubt you'll remember me from the bf thread but in answer to your question yes I'm offering Sam a top up after every feed. Sam doesn't open his mouth v wide and doesn't get much milk (recently found out he's got tongue tie which I'm hoping will resolve it's self before he's 12 weeks old or we'll get it sorted at a clinic). So just bf isn't an option at the moment.

Kanga, just come back from the chemist and metanium is what I've come back with. Been advised to persist with this for 3-4 days. I think my problems been that I'm so desperate for it to go away if I haven't seen an improvement straight away I've convinced myself what ever I've used isn't working. There was also a suggestion that something in the formula could be affecting it all though the chemist was v unsure so I'm going to ween him off his current milk to the other of the same brand but gradually this time....something just keeps telling me it the formula that's caused it and everyone seems to keep saying go with your instinct so I'm going for it.

Hopefully in 4 days Sam will be a happier bunny and so will mummy.

Give me labour any day that was a doddle compared to this :snigger:

PT xxx

TTC#1 Aug 02-Feb 08
Jan/Feb 08 - IVF#1 - BFP
It's A Boy

Oct 17th 08 - Baby Sam is born

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, November 17th 2008, 9:05am

What do you wipe his bottomn with? If you use scented wipes then he may be sesitive to the perfume in them. Try fragrence free wipes, or just plain water for a while and see if that helps.
Failing that there is aslo a cream that you can get on prescription which I can;t recall the name of (begins with T ......? Timodene possibly?) anyway it is antiseptic/antifungal/antibiotc as well as acting as a barrier. Might be worth asking for it at the GP
x

Monday, November 17th 2008, 3:25pm

Metanium works VERY well - I only discovered it for #2 recently.

I would second switching to flannels & water for wiping bums clean & dry.

Also consider switching to a soy based formula for the top-ups. He might not be allergic to milk but under 12 weeks their stomachs find it very hard to process the protein in milk, and soy protein is a lot lot lot easier on the stomach & guts.

Wednesday, November 19th 2008, 12:30pm

hunny only use water and cotton wool to wipe his bum, i have always used this method insted of wipes, i find it cheaper too

try leaving nappy off for a while, to let the air get to his bottom, this really does help hun

and at night time pile on the sudocreme,

if it is really bad hun take him to the docs, they might recomend somthing else

hope he is better soon :hugs:
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,

elmo

Ace

Wednesday, November 19th 2008, 2:20pm

i swear by METANIUM when A had quite a bad rash it cleared it up withn 24hrs but you must only apply it very thinly!! its fab!!
i also use zinc & castor oil on every change which creates a barrier between their bum and the wet nappy.
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Reg: Apr 4th 2008

Children: 1 son conceived naturally(no idea how) 1 m/c april 6th 2010:(

Wednesday, November 19th 2008, 6:12pm

my ds had a rash too and it was from using wipes although they were fragrance free they were still harming his skin. we switched to cotton woll and water and it cleared up, we also stopped using talc. kamillosan worked well too but now we have discovered bepanthen which is brilliant.
:jilly:
ttc since july 2007.
5 x clomid no ov :(
april 08 to march 09 3stone 4lb lost
1 m/c april 2010 :(
our ttx journey has ended

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 7:26pm

Nappy rash

Hi girls,

Am a bit worried about lo's bum. She has had a rash (don't know if you would call it nappy rash) on her bum for the last 3/4 days, its red, a bit spotty on both sides of her bum but there are bits of broken skin. I am worried that I'm causing this by something I'm doing/or not doing wrong. Its not bothering her at all. I use Pampers nappies but they don't seem to be irritiating her, have recently gone up a size. I use Johnsons wipes, am making sure I dry the area and then put Sudocrem on her. I've never missed doing that. I've been away overnight with my Mum and DH looked after her and said today that there was a little bit of blood on her nappy (only a very tiny amount) from where the skin had broken.

Has anyone any advice please? I think I will take her to the drs but can't think why she's got it.

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 7:36pm

Im so paraoid about nappy rash.
Ok stop using baby wipes til it clears, cotton wool and water.
Leave her nappy off as much as possible to let it dry and get air, And put the sudocream on at every change til you see an improvent.
Also try to change her nappy more frequent esp if its dirty, Maybe once an hour until its all cleared up.
Hope it gets better soon. If it doesnt I would take her to doctor where they will prescribe you cream thats better for her bummy

pamelag088

Superstar

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 7:37pm

p.s I also think every baby will get it at some point its nothing you have done wrong x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 7:47pm

I agree, ditch the babywipes and use cotton wool with warm water. Pat her bottom dry with kitchen roll. Leave her nappy off as much as possible and if using Sudocrem only apply a thin layer, thick layers clog the pores up and clog up the 'breathability' of modern nappies.

If it's red and spotty then it could be thrush. This is very common and easily cleared up with a simple anti-fungal cream.

Teething can also be a culprit.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 7:49pm

Hiya,

I've been speaking to my Mum (she's a nurse!) about nappy rash and what to use when she gets it and she advised me against sudocrem because it clogs up the skin. She said she used to use it on patients at work but they've been told not to use it anymore. She then went to speak to a pharmacist for me about it and he advised bepanthem. Apparently this lets the skin breathe and doesn't clog up like sudocrem.

Anyway, she bought me some cos O's got some sore bits in her creases so will let you know if it works!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

pamelag088

Superstar

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 7:57pm

Iv been using bepanthem since TJ was 3 days old when he got nappy rash and he has never had any problems since, Its expensive at around 6 quid a tube but worth it if it keeps his bum clear.
Also wanted to add my nephew gets it bad and seems to break out when he has eaten certain food as it changes his poo and seems to just attack the skin on his bum, could be another reason

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 8:04pm

Ooooh, Pammy, thanks for that!! Good to know that it does work and the pharmacist wasn't just trying to rip my Mum off!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

pamelag088

Superstar

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 8:06pm

:snigger: Nope it does work, I also think sudocream dries the skin and I hate the smell :snigger: And it so thick and sticks to your fingers and you can never wipe it off. Ok Il shut up now

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 10:26pm

Thanks very much girls, am going to use just cotton wool and water and try and leave nappy off at times, think I will also get some Bepanthen and then see what its like in a couple of days and if not better go and see the dr. She is teething so maybe thats the link.

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 10:32pm

We use bepanthen now and it is great stuff, its well worth the extra money.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, March 8th 2010, 8:52am

Another bepanthen fan here. I got a teeny sample in my bounty pack I think and yes its expensive but a big tube lasts ages, I think we are only on our 3rd tube and thats for both girls. I find if I put it on at the first sign of any redness, it prevents it getting any worse.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE