You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, July 7th 2008, 12:14pm

Development worries

I know all kids are different, and Jamie was born 5 weeks early, but I do worry about him.

I've been to the docs & the nurses and they um & ah but dont really say very much.

He's sort of sitting, but only when we put him there. He's been crawling for about a month. Enjoys being held upright but not being upright leaning against anything.

I shouldnt compare with PP but I am just a bit concerned that JJ is slower than he should be :sadface:

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Monday, July 7th 2008, 1:34pm

I guess (well hope) that the doctors would be more interested if there really was anything to worry about. My two weren't early (37 weeks) but thery're as different as they could be in terms of moving around. E wont keep still whereas C doesn't move at all. He's happy to sit (& get fatter & fatter by the day) has not yet rolled and I cant see him crawling this side of christmas at this rate. I think he's just lazy bless him. He chatters away, eats well, has pincer grip, kicks his legs around so I don't think there's more to it than him being bone idle! Is JJs development in other areas worrying you or just his moving? I saw a friend of mine who's a midwife last week and her little boy only strted walking at 17 months. It's difficult not to compare - and probably worse if your comparing to an older sibling than a twin as you can't help having expectations. I'm sure he'll get there in his own good time though :D.

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Suzy Q" (Jul 7th 2008, 1:41pm)

Rufus

Star

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Monday, July 7th 2008, 7:06pm

I do remember reading research in uni about prem babies taking til they were 9 years old to fully catch up. NOt to say they are slow or anything like it - but just that, particularly for boys, it takes things a bit longer to kick in. Don't be worrying, unless the differences between the boys are huge. Will try adn find out more as my neice was born 6 weeks early 2 years ago and is still under size. Her mum is also a nurse, so I'll come back to you if find out anymore, love Lesa xx
Keep smiling :happy:

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, July 7th 2008, 8:28pm

Hi Sunshine, I think the same some days about M still not walking yet J is running round, jumping both feet off the ground.I dont know anyone M's age not walking. I try to shake myself and look for the good points like him using the walls to balance & move room to room it shows he *wants* to get there and is trying to figure it all out, I hope :rolleyes:
I am trying to promote his walking by helping him toddle to get his bum changed or to his high chair when ever possible. Sometimes he refuses point blank & gets jelly legs, thats frustrating but i dont overpush it incase he stops trying. It was same with crawling & sitting up, M was over 12mth before he sat unaided. He gets there but when *he* wants to x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, July 7th 2008, 8:52pm

How old is he now Sun? (apologies for not remembering).
It's always hard with prems as no-one "really" knows how long the "catch up" is going to take. Of course there is a huge natural variation in term babies development as you know, and on top of the delay allowed for prems it makes it all a bit vague. It must also be hard comparing DS1's development. Who knows- he may simply be a late developer anyway, and compounded by his slight prematurity is just taking that little bit longer.
I know how frustrating this is, and nothing much is done about your concerns(certainly in the UK at least) until the developmet delay is well outside that of the norm even allowing for the extra weeks .
If it's any consolation my ds was 10 weeks prem and has had reached all of his milestoines approx 3 months later than his peers. He didn't even start to move around in his bottom until he was 14 months. Didn't take any weight on his legs at all until he was 15-16 months, cruised for months and months and then took his first steps at 21 months.
If you genuinlly have a gut feeling that something is wrong, then you have to act upon it, but i think for the time being it may jsut be a case of watching and waiting for his little body to do it's own thing.
x

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, July 7th 2008, 10:18pm

I was told by consultant they would assess boys as 6weeks prem untill the age of two. Then they should be on a par with other two year olds & would take more interest in slow delvelopment after age 2.

x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 10:33am

yep thats what we were told as well, and i have to say by now he has virtually caught up . He is on the 50th centile for weight and height, and the only thing which is a little on the weak side is his gross motor skills. He only learnt to jump a couple of weeks back, and is beginining to run. He's not a particularly "phsyical" child though- prefers reading drawing and playing with toys rather than leaping off the sofa and running around the garden- so i guess he's never gonna be an olympic athelete!

Reg: Oct 26th 2006

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 10:50am

Its such a worry isn't it? My sister was 6 weeks prem 35 years ago and mum thinks she was behind for a round 2 years, when she just leapt ahead and became a tree climbing tomboy!! I keep getting people telling me to enjoy her being small for longer, but it doesn't work like that does it???

Me 37 DH 35
PCOS since 1991
TTC 4.5 years
1st IVF Sept 06 - BFN
FET Mar 07 - BFN
2nd IVF Aug 07 on the NHS! Yippeeeeee - EC 3rd September 19 eggs - 2 fertlised - :BFP: Its a girl !

Baby Iona born April 2008 - 5 weeks early - The light of my life

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 1:06pm

thanks ladies

he's 1 year old on the 15th July

he was 5 weeks early - not hugely early, but is very very much behind on his brother - even DH who is usually unobservant has been worried

however, he's also been ill with coughs & colds the last couple of weeks so this could be why he is less interactive than we expect

he can bear some weight on his legs and loves being held under tharmpits standing up but only on tiptoe - he has trouble keeping his feet flat

he can sit for the last few weeks, but prefers lounging on his side

he doesnt wave goodbye but saying that we barely wave goodbye to him

he pisses himself laughing with peek-a-boo but doesnt hide himself when we play peek-a-boo - does that mean he does or doesnt play peekaboo?

also what does "exchange back & forth gestures" mean? like rolling a ball back & forth between us? because he doesnt do that.

?(

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 2:12pm

Sun, where the feck did that year go?! :8o:

I'm sorry I really don't have any words of wisdom to offer, other than these ladies have said that different areas develop at different stages. L was always ahead mentally and verbally, but 'behind' physically about 2 or 3 months of her peers at nursery. It was only really at nursery that her physical development came on and I put that down to the fact that she will not sit back and watch something happen, she has to be at the centre of the action. If JJ is more happy to sit back and watch PP get on with something, or if you sit him in the position he is comfortable in and then bring his toys to him then he has no inclination to get about. You did say that JJ is a chilled out dude, and it could be more to do with this than him being 'behind'

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 2:17pm

Sounds like Missy has a VERY good point!

we had HV yesterday and she is saying that Pud is failing to thrive, this is on the back of having weighed her three times in the last six months. She is refering us for a failure to thrive screen. She says her body is too small and her head is too big. when I pushd her on this it turns out that at 11lbs 13 Pud is a whole 1lb 1 oz under what they are "prepared to accept" :rolleyes:

Following this the HV did say that she could see that I am quite small so it could be familial but that I am "carrying a fair bit of baby weight"!! So basically this woman came into my house, said I was neglecting my child, that she has an enormous heeeed and that I am a fatty. fanks for that.

By the way, Pud is perfectly fine, she is rosey cheeked, happy, inquisitive and petite. Still it hurts.

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 3:29pm

Rivka - oh my!

saying that - JJ is skinny but size wise he's relatively ok (I think - we dont have HV's here. at least he fits 12 month old clothing).

Reg: Oct 26th 2006

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 4:09pm

send me that HV Rivka I'll sort her out !! Why don't people think before they say these things!! I had my brother in law hinting that my darling had downs yesterday cos her eyes were puffy in a photo he had found!!!I'd be shocked if the SCBU hadn't picked up on that after having her there for 4 weeks.......

Sunshine I'll be following your progress carefully as my 11 week old was 5 weeks early too. Currently desperate to get more clear smiles, can't imagine how I'll stop waiting for every development step.....

Me 37 DH 35
PCOS since 1991
TTC 4.5 years
1st IVF Sept 06 - BFN
FET Mar 07 - BFN
2nd IVF Aug 07 on the NHS! Yippeeeeee - EC 3rd September 19 eggs - 2 fertlised - :BFP: Its a girl !

Baby Iona born April 2008 - 5 weeks early - The light of my life

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 8:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Maybe baby
I had my brother in law hinting that my darling had downs yesterday cos her eyes were puffy in a photo he had found!!!I'd be shocked if the SCBU hadn't picked up on that after having her there for 4 weeks.......

Oh I'm sorry Maybe but couldn't help laughing at that, what a wally! People do so like to share there thoughts about our children don't they! :rolleyes:

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Tuesday, July 8th 2008, 10:01pm

Hi Sunshine

Sorry I don't get on her much these days, but wanted to reply to you. My two were 5 weeks early and Hollie is def behind T and they are now 13 months old, and they are both behind my NCT chums babies. H only just started to crawl and I think recently starting nursery has accelerated that. No interest in standing up, floppy legs, stands on tiptoes etc. Smiley girl, no words or even mama or dada but lots of babbling. In some things she is very smart like brushing her own hair and roaring like a lion, but the 'milestones' that we tend to compare with others she is def behind.

But you know what? She is the happiest little lady and having totally overused my BUPA allowance to have her checked and seen my paed consultants, they are also happy. As I said, she has come on so much since being at nursery and now that I have had 'experts' tell me all is well and I so much happier. I don't compare anymore with friends babies and just go on my gut feeling.

Hope this helps a bit hun. I know I did go totally into panic mode about it a few months back so I totally understand your concern, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in thinking like this!

Rosie
xx
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 12:05pm

Rosie - thank you for that. Hollie sounds like Jamie very similar.

Of course, all of this doesnt help that DS#1 was more advanced for his age, and their cousin (my brother's son) is only 6 weeks older than Jamie (11 weeks developmentally) but everyone compares the two of them as length wise Jamie is quite long and similar to his cousin (who is walking, talking, putting bricks into sorters,s olving quadratic maths formula, you know). :innocent:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE