You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

• "mad_shell66" started this thread

Reg: Apr 16th 2008

Children: One amazing daughter born 14/4/11

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 1:27pm

can cats cause fertility problems??

A friend has told me that you should avoid cats at all costs when TTc as they release something through your skin which can stop you getting pregnant.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 1:30pm

What a pile of poo Shell.

I shouldn't give it another thought

If you feel the need, google it!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Infertility-F…infertility.htm

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 1:31pm

:snigger:

I thought it a little strange but thought i would ask the question

Reg: Apr 18th 2008

Children: one 5yr old boy

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 1:37pm

hope not as i have 3 cats!! cant see it mate to be honest. if you find anything on it, let me know xxx
Carly xx

TTC...3.5yrs
10/04/06 BFP
26/06/06 M/C
22/02/08 DH 1st SA (room for improvenment)
13/03/08 Progesterone bloods done (fine)
24/06/08 Hycosy (all ok)
24/06/08 DH 2nd SA (room for improvement)

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 1:43pm

I knew it was risky when you are actually pregnant but she was on about when you are TTC.

xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 2:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Eeyore
What a pile of poo Shell.

Very well put!

Reg: Jul 4th 2006

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 3:30pm

Poppycock!

We have 3 cats and I'm pregnant! They were my saviours and listened when I was feeling :bawl: Also they are wonderful de stressers!

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN
Plan B AI known donor, 4 x BFN :tears:
:BFP: 22 March 2008! happydance :sticky:please

Reg: May 20th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful wee girl

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 4:30pm

Ive got 3 cats aswell and im pg, my sil is trying to scare me into getting rid of them by saying that once the baby is born that the cats will sit on the babys face and suffocate him/her cause they like the milk surely thats crap aswell?

Mummy to a beautiful little lady

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 4:32pm

yes i think that is rubbish too milner

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 5:30pm

Milner cats like to sleep in warm places like next to a baby, and very young babies are not mobile enough to wriggle away from cat that wants to sleep on its face, so sadly yes it does happen. You can get a cat net to put over the front of your pram/carry cot and you must keep your cat out of your babies bedroom. Its not to do with the milk.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, August 26th 2008, 8:48pm

We have three cats and I've got to say that after having a quick shuffty to see the new creature in the moses basket they didn't want to go anywhere near either of babies. Why on earth would they want to - babies are noisey and make unpredictable movements! It goes without saying that you should take reasonable precautions and shouldn't leave a new born baby unsupervised with a cat but please no one start thinking that your cats are a danger to your children.

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: Daughter born Dec 05 thru DIUI

Friday, August 29th 2008, 8:36pm

Our cats like to sleep in the cot, but not while DD is there! They don't like her enough! We did use a net though while she was in our room, then kept her own door shut.

2xDIUI(nat cyc)Apr&May08
DIUI(Clom)Jul08
DIUI(Clom, Oest & Prog)Sep08
DIVF/ICSI Mar09
FER Dec09
IUIApr10 - BFN

Reg: May 12th 2008

Children: Arthur, born 30 November 2006

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 8:49am

LOL what a load of rubbish!!! :happy:

If you are pregnant its advisable to wear gloves when handling cat litter because of the *very slight* risk of catching toxoplasmosis, but thats about it as far as cats go.

Having our dear old black and white mog, Reggie (now sadly gone to that big cattery in the sky, RIP Sir Reg - we miss you! :bawl:) around didn't stop my conceiving our son! Hopefully our new little furry friend, ginger and white Merlin, won't do us any harm either!

And no, Reg never tried to "smother" my son or any of those other silly old wives' tales. We did have to use a cat net to stop him sleeping in the (empty) cot but tbh he looked at the wailing little newborn bundle with absolute horror (as if to say "OH for God's sake, WTF have they brought home NOW?!") and made a point of staying far away from him! You'll find that cats don't like babies and toddlers very much at all and steer very clear of them.

Merlin is the same, never really bothers DS at all, I think he finds noisy 21 month old toddlers a bit too scary . . .

Its amazing the nonsense people can come out with!

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "ArthursMummy" (Sep 3rd 2008, 8:56am)

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by ArthursMummy
LOL what a load of rubbish!!! :happy:

If you are pregnant its advisable to wear gloves when handling cat litter because of the *very slight* risk of catching toxoplasmosis, but thats about it as far as cats go.

Having our dear old black and white mog, Reggie (now sadly gone to that big cattery in the sky, RIP Sir Reg - we miss you! :bawl:) around didn't stop my conceiving our son! Hopefully our new little furry friend, ginger and white Merlin, won't do us any harm either!

And no, Reg never tried to "smother" my son or any of those other silly old wives' tales. We did have to use a cat net to stop him sleeping in the (empty) cot but tbh he looked at the wailing little newborn bundle with absolute horror (as if to say "OH for God's sake, WTF have they brought home NOW?!") and made a point of staying far away from him! You'll find that cats don't like babies and toddlers very much at all and steer very clear of them.

Merlin is the same, never really bothers DS at all, I think he finds noisy 21 month old toddlers a bit too scary . . .

Its amazing the nonsense people can come out with!

Well i would be wary of a cat around a baby. it's not necessarily saying they will harm a baby but you never know. I am not saying cats are a nasty animal. Not at all, but they like warm and comfort which they will get by been by a baby. Not all cats are scared of babies.

My auntiesisn't. When my niece was little we had to be careful because the cat would be trying to get in her carseat with her

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:15am

Just to share my own experience - I have a nasty scar down my left cheek where our family cat got into my carrycot and scratched me. Apparently it was literally just a scratch which is why my parents didn't do anything about it at the time, but it scarred. She wasn't scared of children and babies at all.

We have a cat now (who again is relaxed around babies and toddlers) and she'll be staying when the baby comes, but I will be more cautious, because of my own experience.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:22am

I have to agree. Not all cats 'smother' babies, but it isn't just a 'silly wives tale' either...one of our members had the fright of her life when she found her cat sat in her babies cot, not something she would dismiss or pass off as silly.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:29am

cats love been snuggled up don't they. and baby items tend to be snuggly. moses baskets and so on.

my friends cat found comfort in the moses basket the day after her daugter come home from hospital.

i was there and the baby was in the moses basket sleeping, my friend was in the shower, and i nipped into the kitchen to put the kettle on and when i went back into the lounge the cat was lying down at the bottom of the moses basket. luckily no where near the baby's head!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:32am

that was my cat :sadface: my cat is not afraid of anything he jumped in and luckerly laid across her lap, my heart jumped into my mouth I couldn't catch my breath I have never been so frightened in my life - it does happen and you must be on watch all the time, cats like warm cosy places, babies are warm and cosy.

needless to say we have nets and doors shut at all times now.

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:34am

how frightening chilli x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:38am

Bubble, my four year old daughter has a scar a couple of millimetres from her eye where the cat scratched her and 'luckily' missed her eye. It was my daughter's fault for tormenting her but I think the crucial message here is that all animals must be supervised around all small children at all times. Both are unpredictable and regardless of how much we trust them, we just never know.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:40am

Exactly Bells.

Chilli - when you say you use nets do you mean over moses baskets and carrycots (like mozzie nets) or something else?

X

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:41am

yes over her cot and crib

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 10:43am

If you don't mind girls, I am going to duplicate this into the pregnancy area as I think there are some very important points being made which may not get seen as the thread is in fertility

Cats and babies

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE