You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "philippa_s" started this thread

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Monday, September 29th 2008, 8:51pm

15 year old DD's periods!!! Possible start of endo

Hi

I'm after some advice on what to do about my DD's periods.

She is 15, started her periods when she was 11, they have always been 23/24 day cycles but recently she has started getting them every 20/21 days along with period pain and mid cycle pain.

I am reluctant to take her to the doctors to be put on the pill (seems to young and don't really want her on it for the next 15 years!) but am also concerned it may be the beginnings of endo (as this apparently can be hereditary) in which case the pill offers some benefits.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to lengthen cycles, in a nice way appropriate for a 15 year old but also on how and when their endo started.

Cheers
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, September 29th 2008, 8:56pm

I went on the pill at 14 to help me with my painful and irregular periods. It's just a tablet given to help a symptom and in 15 years she may have other methods of contraceptive available to her. Next year she could go and get the pill prescribed without your knowledge anyway ( :rolleyes: )

If the pill would improve her quality of life, despite it having contraceptive qualities, then could it be worth worth consideration?

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, September 29th 2008, 9:00pm

I went on the pill at 16 years, to help with my heavy, painful periods, and it really helped.

Imagine there is alot to think about, in relation to this, what does your DD think? Have you got a good GP, you could both go and discuss things with?

xxx

<

Monday, September 29th 2008, 9:01pm

My concern with the pill or other contraceptives is that I am pretty convinced that was the start of all my infertility issues. I was 'fine' before starting on the pill, even concieved 1st time round whilst on the pill, then started on depo jabs and although it stemmed the endo it created a new problem!

Just seems like a bit of a sh***y choice for her, that's all but if it is the best choice then so be it.

Monday, September 29th 2008, 9:04pm

My GP isn't the best tbh, his view on fertility treatment is 'shouldn't happen!' There are a couple of other gp's in the practice but never seen them as only registered there last year.

My DD's opinion is she doesn't want to go on the pill. I think if she didn't know it was 'that' pill she might view it in a diff way but she's not stupid (and would read the packet lol!)

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, September 29th 2008, 9:07pm

Hiya hun

I hope that you don't mind me replying here. The pill doesn't have to be the answer..with your DD's cycles being so short, a GP who has an understanding of fertility/cycles will look to do blood tests first to find out *why* this is happening, rather than masking it with the pill or progesterone (which is another choice) and then look at treatment. It could be so many things, that a simple blood test could confirm/rule out

xx

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, September 29th 2008, 9:24pm

I was on the pill from I was 14 but I also blame the depo jab for some of my problems!
It took me two years after I stopped it before I had anything that resembled a period...
I never had any problems coming on and off the pill.

Eeyores advice sounds very sound but do some research of whom to take her to first if your GP is c***.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Monday, September 29th 2008, 10:17pm

Cheers ladies

I'll maybe go and see a diff doctor first about it without her so i can sound them out (or maybe even change docs!!)

All i know is it's not very nice for her, not 'normal' and don't want to do anything now that may effect her in years to come...

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 8:44am

Hi Phillipa,
It must be horrible to see the poor girl suffering. However, it is quite normal for periods to be irregular and painful at her age. It can take years to settle into a regular cycle.
There was a recent study published (can't remember the details) which showed that the contraceptive pill does not have a long term effect on fertility, despite what you might have heard. The depo provera injection does however, it known that it can take a couple of years for things to get back to normal after stopping it. Also remember she is only 15, she has some 25 years left of childbearing potential, loads of time (its really hard when you have had problems concieving to think about this rationally, I struggle at work!). I doubt very much that a doctor is going to want to investigate her at 15, they will probably advise either waiting or the pill. She wouldn't have to be on the pill for years, quite often if its taken for 6 months, it can knock her hormones into line and give her a nice regular cycle, with less pain. Then she can try stopping it and see what happens and between you, you can make a decision about whether seh wants to carry on.

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 11:00am

Thanks for that Mrs Jasper

I'll have a think, a read and a chat with her then decide.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 11:09am

I used to have really heavy and painful periods at the age - I used to regularly faint because the pain was so bad. If you decide to go with the pill then she may need to try a few before she finds one that suits - I had to try about four types before finding one that worked and didn't make me sick.

Hope you find something that suits soon - I remember it being a really miserable time.

And I HATE the depo injection - I blame it for a lot of things in life...problems ttc, weight gain, world conflict, poverty....

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 12:17pm

Hi P

I was the same as Bubble, very heavy periods that lasted for 7 days but at least I was regular. My eldest daughter C who is 15 in January is exactly the same as yr dd, she has a lot of pain, is very heavy and has af every 19 days or so. I am in the same situation as you, I dont really want to take her to get the pill but she has actually asked to go on it as she is so sick of her periods and wants to regulate them. I'm just in a bit of a crap situation at the moment as me and dd are having a war of words and she has been staying at her dads since last week.

It cant hurt to put her on it and if it improves her quality of life, that can only be a good thing as it must be torture constantly being on a period.

Let me know how you get on xxx
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 12:21pm

Cheers Lexie and bubble+1

Lexie, sorry ur having a tough time with your DD. Luckily, mine is lovely at the minute but a few years ago we could go weeks without her saying a word...such a lovely age. Hope it improves for you cos i know if ur anything like me it just rips you up inside.

I'll let you know how i get on

P x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE