You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Peppermint Patty" started this thread

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 11:22pm

not eating anymore....

my ds was a hungry baby and from 4 months has been a good eater...cereal for breakfast, mid morning milk, lunch, mid afternoon snack and dinner...he was up to about a month ago finishing a pot of food and at dinenr would have a little dessert too....now he eats cereal, struggles to finish 6oz for and at lunch locks his lips shut. its a job to get half a pot in him and there is no mid afternoon snack and dinner is the same, lips shut and now he is drinking only 6oz milk at night and maybe a dream feed if i am lucky of about 3/4/oz....feed times are all over the place as i am trying to make sure he is hungry and will eat, thats no use either, he is on stage 2 foods, i thought he may just have been bored with stage ones, still nothing. i dont know if its to do with teething, he is a bit upset, fingers in mouth, drooling, sleeping more...his poo is much softer and sometimes watery but i guess thats because his solid in take has become so little. not sure what to do for him, today i gave him toast which he ate a little of and enjoying throwing and squashing, he had two chips that i made and that was it, the mash was just played with, i have tried, meats, fish, store bought, home made...just dont know what to do...last weigh in he put on weight so no one is worried, but i know there is something not right, he used to open his mouth wide open and now its shut tight, i dont want to force him and give him negative food associations....help please!!!!!
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, October 31st 2008, 2:27am

You know what? He's just learning that he can make decisions on his own. Gone are the days where you were in control of what he did and does, now you have to be a bit canny. Ok so he's not eating very much but he will eat when he's hungry, I still haven't met a child who has starved himself to a state of illness. More likely he's thinking "nah.... I want a Cadbury Dairy Milk or nothing at all!!!" (yes I know he doesn't know what one of those is but you get the idea) ... or something like that. Ride it out, don't get stressed, feed him what you're making and if he doesn't eat it... well ok. At some point he'll start to eat more and you'll stop worrying.

If it's teething then that's an explanation, it might be, it might not but getting stressed about it isn't any good. We've all been through a stage when our children will only eat yoghurts and cheese for three weeks, it doesn't do them any harm, it just makes us grey.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, October 31st 2008, 9:49am

H is the same atm PP, i am sure it is her teeth. she has had 2 teeth for months now and all of a sudden we have 2 big bulgy parts on her top gum, it looks red and sore with 2 faint white lines inside the gum.

i am giving her what she will eat, today so far she has only had 3 squares of toast, refuse readybreak and weetabix. she wont eat meat and 3 veg at all and that was her fave 2 weeks ago, but she will eat a jar of spagetti cabanara :rolleyes: so thats what she is having....i keep telling myself that babies dont starve (like bells said) they eat when they are hungry. and that babies can live on just milk alone till they are 1yr old....

your little man will be fine hun keep trying him. one day soon he will eat like theres no tomorrow :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

cookie

Superstar

Friday, October 31st 2008, 9:50am

bells!....what were you doing up at 2.30AM?! :8o:you night owl you :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, October 31st 2008, 10:06am

We have been through this except Flo hasn't ever really eaten, i weaned her at 6 months carried on BF alongside, went to Egypt she was BF alot as it was hot & then stopped eating solids althogether, then she got chicken pox and didn't eat as it hit her hard she had a high fever for a week. Her weight has never dropped but she never gained this last weigh in :sadface: she then cut her first tooth during the time she had chicken pox and now this week she has started to eat again just about! :D

My normal HV is off sick she is really supportive so I have been having to see a different one who drives me mad X( anyway we had a long chat the other day and she is working with me to get Flo back on track.

Anyway sorry for highjacking your thread!

I agree with Bells DD1 did the same she stopped eatng for a week or so because she COULD! My advise is chill out and let him do it in his own time, I know it's frustrating :sadface:

cookie

Superstar

Friday, October 31st 2008, 10:10am

gosh :sadface:little flo has been thru the wars...glad she is back on track now :hugs:

love k xxx

• "Peppermint Patty" started this thread

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Friday, October 31st 2008, 4:45pm

THANK YOU LADIES!

today we forgot to eat breakfast as i had to get the car to the car shop - he wasnt fussed...for lunch we ate rice pudding :innocent: - anyway i am just giving him what he wants...and trying not to go grey......

he seems happy in himself and i thing he is growing normally as he has now deceided that toys are so three months ago and wires and plugs are all the rage!
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 10:27am

Oh plugs and wires great fun!!

Flo would rather chew on a wire than all the lovely things in her treasure basket :rolleyes: M has now decided food is for wimps and has decided to just ask for milk continually throughout the day :sadface:

Flo is eating well still I can feel and see she is getting fuller, phew :smile:

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, November 4th 2008, 7:01am

We go through phases when DS doesn't eat and then phases when he will eat as much as an adult.
We don't let him pick what and when he eats but are pretty strict.

Morning: milk and books in bed with us
Breakfast: porrige/wetabix or whatever we are having. If he is good and eats it then he will get banana and toast. if not then lunch is not far away!
Lunch: whatever we are having and fruit afterwards but only if he eats.
Snack: fruit if he has been good otherwise something that we felt was missing during the day like grains or protein.
Dinner: whatever we are eating.

We try to make sure to put out rice and peas as he loves these, Yoghurts are treats and we will all eat what he is having.
Our problem was that we were so worried that the times when he wasn't eating that he would starve that we let him snack but honestly... no child in his position would starve themselves!!
Within a few days of our new regime he was eating normally!

If we give him a choice then he gets picky. I sometimes asks him if he would like weetabix or porrige (just giving him an option of two things I really want him to eat) but that is as far as it goes.
I never put more than two things in front of him to pick from.

I think I might be ranting now :)

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Tuesday, November 4th 2008, 7:34pm

My two went through this with teething going off milk and food etc, and they love everything. To be honest if they are struggling I used to give them things soft they could eat, so they used to eat yoghurt and cereal. They do get back to normal within a week

A typical day for us is

Morning 7oz milk, half hour later cereal either ready brek, weet/oatabix or porridge and add banana.

Mid morning 6oz of milk

Lunch a proper dinner, i.e Spag bol, chilli, casserole always veggies etc and a yougurt

Water/juice

Tea they will have cheese on toast, eggy bread, scrambled egg etc

Bedtime 7oz milk
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "melanie" (Nov 4th 2008, 7:36pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 6:18pm

7(ish) month old stopped eating solids

Hi ladies,

I have resurrected this old thread but feel free to split my post into a new thread if you think more appropriate as I am not sure what age of baby this thread was aimed at.
Well, Martha was doing really well with the mixed finger food / spoon feeding from 6 months. She would eat most things (except mango!) and her motor coordination is pretty good so she can pick up a lot of things and get them to her mouth. However, in the last 2 weeks she has slowly stopped eating things and now won't even touch her breakfast (and she used to almost jump into the bowl for that). Today all she has done is nibble on a small piece of bread and refused fromage frais and banana (normally loves her fruit). She isn't refusing milk though. She had been sleeping through the night but 3 weeks ago started waking once and in the last 10 days has started waking twice - around 9.30pm and again at about 2am. So, once again I am knackered and the leaking has returned :cross:
Last week her first tooth came through and it feels as though another one will be here soon. She has been commando crawling for a while but at the weekend did her first moves on hands and knees. Her babbling and range of sounds has also increased dramatically in the last week and she is now beginning to try and play with toys 'properly' rather than just put them in her mouth. I am thinking that the teething and developmental spurt could be related to the food refusal. I am happy enough to keep presenting food as normal and not make a big deal out of her not eating but would like some reassurance that in time she will start eating again of own accord. Anyone else experienced this - a baby eating fine and then suddenly stopping?
thanks!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 6:27pm

Hi Jen,

Sorry you're having this, I think this is quite common when teeth start to come through as it gets uncomfortable to eat solid things, even eating fromage frais off a spoon is uncomfortable. J has 2 teeth through and he did go off his solids (although he didn't stop completely) until they were both through and visable then he slowly started to pick back up on the solids, we were lucky though as both his teeth came through at the same time so we didn't have a long time of not wanting solids.

Have you tried eating at the same time as her? she might be more inclined to eat if she sees you doing it, I know that if I eat anything J wants it whether he's hungry or not.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 6:41pm

Hi ladies,

Anyone else experienced this - a baby eating fine and then suddenly stopping?

Yep! It's usually my first indication that something is 'happening'' - a tooth coming/major growth spurt/coming down with something. Baby bubs eats very little and generally only very smooth & cool foods (yoghurt/weetabix etc) when there's a tooth brewing.

It should pass - I just generally let her have what she wants when she wants it during such phases and don't spend hours on food prep just to see it wasted....!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 6:43pm

I always have breakfast and lunch at the same time as her and, as much as possible, try and eat the same food. As it has been sunny over the last few days we have been having a picnic lunch. This used to be when she ate the most, as there is food around for a long time that she can pick at and, also, enough things to look at outside to keep her interested! Hasn't made any difference though. She picked up a piece of pasta, sucked on it once then didn't try again whereas she used to chew and swallow a fair amount. She didn't even go for the raspberries and normally she would launch herself at those and munch/squash quite a few. We were at a friend's house yesterday and even though she picked up a piece of apple, she just held it rather than putting it in her mouth. It is almost like the novelty of eating has worn off and now she can't be bothered, deciding that breastmilk is actually the most delicious thing anyway!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 6:46pm

ooops, cross-posted bubble! Thanks, that has made me feel better....if not less tired! If she hadn't increased the amount of milk she wants then it wouldn't bother me at all but having got used to more sleep I am now back to square one with time marching on and the return to work looming....

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, September 3rd 2010, 6:44pm

Hiya,

I read this thread and thought 'Hmmmm, O's slowed down on the eating too.' And then today I have just found a lovely sharp tooth!!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Jul 22nd 2008

Children: One beautiful daughter after 2nd ICSI attempt :) She was born October 2009

Thursday, September 23rd 2010, 8:04pm

Hi,
Amelie has also slowed right down on eating (she's 11 months old now) . I put it down to increased independence and teeth. She's got 7 teeth now, but I think more are coming through.
What's annoying me though, is that she always seems to want to fall asleep at meal times now, so I have to let her nap, then try to feed her afterwards (which means that lunchtime ends up being around 2.30 and breakfast around 10.30). This isn't ideal at all. Either that or she just plays around and almost seems like a teenager :snigger: and will use as many avoidance tactics as possible.
I'm mixing finger foods and spoon feeding, and I usually eat at the same time as her (not in the evening though, it's bath, story and bed from 6.30 on).
What also worries me though, if not more than the lack of food is the lack of milk she'll drink. :sadface:
She's never taken a bottle. I've managed to get her to use a sippy cup but the most milk she'll drink at once is about 3oz. It might take an hour to get 5oz into her.
I'm still BFing, but trying to do it just twice a day now. Thing is, if she doesn't drink enough milk from the cup, I end up feeding her myself.
Any advice?
me 42, DH 35
ICSI 1 2009 :(
ICSI 2 2009 :BFP:
ICSI 3 2011 :(
ICSI 4 2012 ??? hopefully!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE