You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "lulu27" started this thread

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 2:14pm

Employing a Nanny

Being a nurse and having a dh in the forces off to warzones at the drop of a hat makes life a bit complicated for me. The Nursery opening hours just aren't flexible enough and i'm often late to work, I cant do late or night shifts and work is getting a bit funny.

Am interviewing a nanny tomorrow who is happy to work different days everyweek including some till 10pm and some weekends.

What sort of things should I be asking apart from checking her references and making sure I like her?

She's charging £7 an hour is that the going rate, it's going to work out a bit cheaper than nursery when dh is away and means when he is here and i'm working the weekend and dont need the nanny I can just do some extra shifts in the week as would still have to pay her anyway.

Also does anyone know if they are off sick do you still pay them?

Anyone have a nanny how do you find it what do they do for you and your little ones??

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 2:33pm

HI Lulu,
I would ask if she has CRB check and how recent it was done.
If she is a registered childminder
If she can supply names & addresses of referances for you to contact
Also ask things like if you started tomoz what would you do with the children. How do you feel about routine, can you cook them meals??

Below from http://www.surestart.gov.uk/aboutsuresta…nts/needananny/ (not FZ endorsed link)
Need a nanny
This section is for you if you are thinking of employing a nanny.

It also provides some useful pointers if you are considering other types of childcare in the family home.

For a more comprehensive overview of childcare take a look at our Looking for childcare section. This aims to help you make the right choice for you and your child when it comes to choosing suitable childcare.

What do nannies do?
Nannies provide childcare in your own home and are a popular choice for many families. They can look after children of any age and should provide plenty of fun and learning opportunities in a safe environment. Nannies can often work flexible hours and can be a suitable option if you work at times when other forms of childcare are not available.

Employing a nanny
Making sure your child is safe, well-cared for and happy is one of the most vital concerns for any parent. Employing a nanny is an important responsibility. There are no legal requirements on a person applying to work as a nanny. It is up to you, as parent and employer, to make sure that you are employing a nanny who will look after your children well.

This section will help you to:

decide whether a nanny is the right choice of childcare for your family
plan your nanny’s job
advertise the job vacancy
choose potential nannies to interview
plan and carry out interviews
check your nanny before employment starts
support your nanny in the job.
Although this guidance offers useful advice, it does not provide any guarantee that your choice of a nanny will produce a favourable outcome.

Remember, it is your responsibility as the employer to ensure that you are completely satisfied with the person that you employ.
In this section:

Types of childcare
Choosing a nanny
Job description
Advertising for a nanny
Interviewing tips
Working with nannies
Dealing with problems

:smile:
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

lulu27

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 2:42pm

Thanks sweetie, been emailing her and she sounds lovely highly trained says she will take the twins out to toddler groups, park, do singing nursery rhymes with them introduce sticker reward charts for when they learn something new even walk my dog!!! Its such an arse working when you nly earn £700 and have to pay £500 on childcare but I need the flexibility as i'm practically a single mum and shift work does not fit in with that if I did weekdays 9-5 would be fine!!!

She's 22 and am hoping she's not gorgeous as it's dh's dream to have a fit nanny in the house lol he keeps asking if we can get a swedish au pair!!! lol

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 2:43pm

lmao let me know how it goes x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 2:53pm

Its always pee'd me off that the NHS doesn't provide childcare that suits nurses. Most trusts have cerche's now but they only opena t 8:30. What us is that to nurses? The first trust that opens a 24 hour creche will have a big improvement in recruitment and retention of staff.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 2:58pm

so why not open one gals?!

set up your own 24/7 creche

make a business plan, put it together and go to the Job Centre to get leaflets and help on how to set up your own business

it's a winner!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 3:02pm

Not a bad idea Sun. Will think about it.

lulu27

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 3:50pm

Would certainly help me out thats for sure!!!! There is a nursery at my hospital but I dont use it cos A it's more expensive than others and B it closes at 7pm what use is that when your working till 10 at night!!!!

I just cant believe how difficult it is to work and have children it would a little if it was subsidised a bit but you just dont get any help!!!!

Are 24 hour creches even allowed???

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, November 3rd 2008, 3:54pm

You wouldn't obviously have a child there for that length of time but there must be loads of nurses lost to the NHS every year because they can't get relieable childcare to suit their hours. Even if you just offered days from 7 until 10 it would help those doing earlies or lates. (Going off the hours I used to do, never worked until 10.) Night staff tend to have partners or grandparents to help out. The more I think about this, the more I think of the huge market potential.

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Tuesday, November 25th 2008, 6:13pm

How did you get on with the nanny?
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE