You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Samantha" started this thread

Reg: Apr 23rd 2006

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 3:28pm

Fostering with pets at home (staffies)

My husband and I have just started the process of becoming foster parents and we have our initial home visit on 9th January.

Something that is playing on my mind is how will social services view our homelife as we have two beautiful staffies. We and our family know that the dogs are both loyal, excellent family pets and the children in our families absolutely adore them. I'm aware of the bad name that this particular breed of dog gets and they can be quite exciteable when meeting new people! (They just want lots of cuddles and playtime).

When I first phoned the social they asked a few questions, 1 being about pets. When I told them what breed of dog we had the response on the other end of the phone was only what I can describe as "oh dear"??!

The dogs are already a huge part of our family and there is no way that I could contemplate giving them up. Do you think this will have an impact on our fostering plans?

Me 28 DH 32 [zx101]
1st ICSI Dec 05 8 eggs, 3 fert :BFN:
Left Tube removed June 06
2nd ICSI March 07 16 eggs, 7 fert:BFN:
3rd ICSI July 07 - 22 eggs, 5 fert :BFN:
4th ICSI Dec 07 with blasto, lovely eggs, slow development to blasto :BFN:

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 3:49pm

hiya hun

so pleased to hear you are starting this and i truely hope that your lovely pets won't effect things.
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 3:58pm

Hi Kara,

Aww thank you!! It seems funny coming back to FZ and not posting to a IVF thread I must admit. But where else would I come for advice and support? You girls have been so great for me in the past years x

Me 28 DH 32 [zx101]

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 4:08pm

please let is know how it goes hun

i hope your feeling postive about this, its a wonderful thing to do and i have considered it a few times myself
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, December 17th 2008, 4:39pm

Hi hun

I have a staffie too so I know just how lovely they are!! :smile: I really hope that it doesn't have an impact on fostering.

Good luck.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Reg: Jan 1st 2008

Thursday, December 18th 2008, 5:14pm

i have a staffy and she is the softest thing on four legs you could ever meet! i think they would be more concerned if you had a pit bull, or american bulldog. the trouble is that untill peopple meet them they think they will jump up and have them for dinner! i would try to have relatives child who the dogs know at one of your visit because this will demonstrate visually that your dogs won't munch on any children they place with you!
Got a BFP! 16/10/08 Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Reg: May 27th 2008

Tuesday, December 30th 2008, 3:25pm

I, too am very concerned about this as we have a little rescue dog who is great in the house but is very protective of me outside and also when anyone first comes in the house and can be aggressive.... Really worried that this will affect our chances...

Catherine

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 30th 2008, 3:45pm

Catherine, you need to sort that out anyway for the good of all of you. It sounds like your little dog believes that he's the top of the pecking order and that it's his job, as dominant dog, to protect you and HIS home. You can change his behaviour by changing yours. If you want some help with this please feel free to PM me.

Marlene

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, December 30th 2008, 4:32pm

Hi Sam

It is alwaysnice to see people comeback to FZ as you know you will get support and see some familiar names...

I am sure they will consider everything to do with your life , animals , visitors when going through the process. I know from our prep courses for adotpion there were quite afew couple who had dogs, and very much part of their lives . They just need to consider the safety of all parties including the dogs of course ..

Goodluck hun and welcome back

xx

Beautiful Daughter and gorgeous Son through adoption, my family now complete , 2009 started our journey and complete Oct 2012 ....

parteepartee

Tuesday, December 30th 2008, 6:44pm

Thank you Marlene!

Well we have our first visit from social services on 9th Jan, which is when our puppy is going to be neutered! :8o: Well I guess he'll be nice and quiet for his first visit!! hee hee bless him!

X

Me 28 DH 32 [zx101]

Dora

Reg: Feb 12th 2009

Saturday, February 14th 2009, 5:58pm

We have dogs, not staffs. We have had to fill in doggy questionaires on them both, but it has not been a problem.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE