You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "ALI BIRD" started this thread

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Monday, December 29th 2008, 8:34am

Pierced Nipple?

Hey Ladies,

I am a bit embarassed to be posting this but am worried about my ability to be able to breastfeed.

Many years ago, I had my nipple pierced (young and bored, what can I say :O). Anyway, I recently had a chat with my BIL mum who is a MW and said that I may struggle to feed from this breast and that I need to discuss this with my HV. This never even crossed my mind as I took it out 3 years ago and it is now completely healed. Has anybody any experience with this?

I will be so cross with myself if this this does prevent me from BF as it is something I really want to do.

x

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Monday, December 29th 2008, 12:58pm

Hi Ali, I'm not sure if it will effect your breastfeeding to be honest. Probably not as the piercing would have had to have gone through a milk duct which is unlikely given the position they are usually in. I had mine done in 2003, and took it out a couple of years later. I think it is pretty much a wait and see thing though to be honest. Fingers crossed it'll be ok for us both! Oh why do we do these things?!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, December 29th 2008, 1:10pm

I don't see why you should struggle. Plenty of women successfully breastfeed with nipple piercings, the biggest difficulty with a piercing is keeping it open but as you don't wear jewellery any more then I guess that doesn't bother you.

Has your BIL's Mum ever actually breastfed and does she take an interest in it? If not then she may not realise that, when you breastfeed, milk comes out of lots of different holes in the end of the nipple, not just one as many people expect. I can see how someone would think that a piercing/scar tissue could interfere with 'one' milk outlet but in actuality, there are many different outlets for milk and your piercing may act like a bore hole meaning you might find that the pierced holes leak milk resulting in you being able to get milk out quicker. If it's completely healed then it may not affect you in the slightest.

Lots of midwives and health professionals have absolutely no idea about breastfeeding. Many of them didn't do it themselves, don't see the point and haven't the expertise to guide new Mothers. If you do happen to come across problems breastfeeding then get yourself a 'proper' lactation consultant or speak to people who have both successfully breastfed and those who didn't succeed but who now understand why. These people are much more likely to give you accurate information.

• "ALI BIRD" started this thread

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Monday, December 29th 2008, 4:30pm

Thanks ladies, I feel a lot better now. I guess it's just wait and see which is no different to anybody else really.

Mrs Smiff, I know, why do we do these things :snigger:

xxx

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, December 29th 2008, 6:54pm

hello,

i had mine done in 2000 and took it out after about a year and i cant get a ring through it so it has healed. the only thing that i found anoying was that i leaked alot of milk from my two holes...well it was more like a constant drip tbh. this happened with both spud and H.

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, December 29th 2008, 7:33pm

A friend of mine had a nipple pierced and took it out during early pregnancy, she found she leaked more milk from that nipple but could still BF just as well with it.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE