You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

alie

Star

• "alie" started this thread

Reg: Oct 14th 2007

Children: Alfred born 10.12.2008 Florence born 21.10.2011

Thursday, January 1st 2009, 11:45pm

advice re pain

Hi, Wondered if anyone could help. I started with a nipple that felt bruised this morning (using nipple shields due to nipple aversion - long story), now my breast feels really painful, there is a small red section next to the nipple and feeding from it is excrutiating initially but does ease off. Have removed my bra as not sure if that making it worse and applied lansinoh and just taken some paracetamol. I am aware if thought to be mastitis to continue feeding but i'm not sure I can tolerate the pain. Advice very gratefully appreciated, including can I take ibruprofen??

Me 42, DH 43
Nat Pg - m/m 05
unexplained infertility
4xIUI BFN, 1st IVF Oct 07 BFN
1st FET Feb 08 BFP

2nd FET Jan 11 BFP

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, January 2nd 2009, 8:39am

you need to get it checked at the drs hun incase it is mastitus, i sometimes get little lumps that i think are blocked ducts but ease off if i feed from that breast as much as possible. if its painful though i would ring the docs x
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, January 2nd 2009, 10:04am

Keep on feeding!
That is the only real advice!

Hot flannels, no bra, lots of air and hand expressing in the shower also helps "clearing" the ducts.

One of the reasons for keeping on feeding through the pain is that you want to nip it in the bud rather than leaving it to turn into full blown mastitis if it is duct related.

I had an inflamed montgomery gland (the dots on the areola) that was so painful but it passed after a day or two when it burst.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Friday, January 2nd 2009, 11:17am

but in meantime, yes you can take ibroprofen
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 2nd 2009, 12:56pm

Wonderful advice as always.

Mastitis and blocked ducts are often confused, even by health professionals but it doesn't really matter as they're both treated the same way in the first instance. Keeping feeding ensures that milk isn't sitting around in the breast and helps to flush out the ducts. Gentle massage, warm pads on the breast, cold savoy cabbage leaves inside the bra (YES REALLY!) are often said to help. Paracetamol will lower your temperature and relieve pain, ibuprofen will reduce inflammation.... take both.

Pain and redness if often caused by pressure on the breast either from a dodgy feeding position, a badly fitting bra or maybe from a nipple shield??? Is there anything pressing on that area of the breast??

If by tomorrow the redness has deepened or/and if you feel achey, fluey, hot or unwell then pop to the GP. If they can't fit you in then you must tell the receptionist that you're breastfeeding a newborn and feel that you may have mastitis and that you feel you may not be able to continue breastfeeding..... that should be enough to get you an appointment.

Take heart in the fact that this period of pain will be shortlived if dealt with correctly and that in a few days you should be back to normal. Don't give up!

alie

Star

• "alie" started this thread

Reg: Oct 14th 2007

Children: Alfred born 10.12.2008 Florence born 21.10.2011

Friday, January 2nd 2009, 9:01pm

thanks girls

Think its time for gp tomorrow, feel lousy and achey all over. breast also more red even though still feeding from it

Me 42, DH 43
Nat Pg - m/m 05
unexplained infertility
4xIUI BFN, 1st IVF Oct 07 BFN
1st FET Feb 08 BFP

2nd FET Jan 11 BFP

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE