You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mayo

Star

• "mayo" started this thread

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Thursday, January 8th 2009, 4:14pm

poorly baby - reduced feeding/milk supply

Hi....in need of advice....

Lachlan, now 3 weeks and 5 days, has a nasty cold at the mo and has not been feeding very well as a result (yesterday and again today). Had about 10 mins from 1 breast at 7am today then 10 mins at lunch and he is feeding now (4pm-ish) but still doesnt seem all that hungry. His nose is completely clear, so that's not a problem, he's just sleeping a LOT and doesn't seem interested so much - had been a real milk monster and feeding had been going really well until now. He has a nasty cough and lots of mucus in mouth....looks like he has been eating soap as he is all foamy/bubbly around mouth. Had him see GP on Tues (at which point he was still feeding ok) who said his chest is clear and just a cold. HV saw him yesterday when she weighed him too, so I am trying to not be neurotic mummy, but quite scary when he is coughing as he seems to be struggling to catch a breath :sadface:
Breasts felt so sore and lumpy yesterday ....managed to express a bit by hand but have never been that great at it so hubbie bought a manual pump today and will use that later when he gets home to try and keep milk supply up - just don't know how much I should express though and from which breast .....do I express the remainder of the breast Lachlan feeds from, or should I express the other breast ? Really don't want milk supply to get low after all the hard work we've put in this last 3 weeks or so in getting it started!
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 8th 2009, 5:01pm

If he's having feeds at normal times but taking less then try expressing from that same side after he's finished It should be a lot easier to express once he's started the milk flow in that breast off. If he's going a bit longer between feeds or expressing goes a bit pear shaped then I wouldn't worry too much because once he recovers he'll probably re-discover his appetite, suck with gusto and increase your milk supply back up over the course of a few days.

There's no harm in giving expressing a go, having a bit in the freezer's a good idea anyway, but don't be put off if you don't manage to get a great deal out. As long as you're prepared a week of for cluster feeding when he's feeling better then your milk shouldn't suffer.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, January 9th 2009, 3:56pm

I would also take him back to your GP, Flo did the same when she was 2 weeks old. Does he have wet nappies?

mayo

Star

Tuesday, January 13th 2009, 8:35pm

thanks Bells and Chilli....turns out he had RSV/bronchiolitis so ended up being taken to hospital by paramedics and spending almost a week in there. Very scary but he is doing better now, thank goodness.
Had to express my milk while in there as he was nil by mouth for a couple of days....was really worried how it would affect feeding with it happening so early on, but he certainly remembers what to do :snigger: and you are right Bells, about the cluster feeds ...has been feeding CONSTANTLY for the last 36 hours, but at least I don't have sore boobs now!
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, January 13th 2009, 10:28pm

I'm sorry he was so poorly, you must've been beside yourself with worry. Rivka's baby had a very similar thing when she was tiny too, she was also at risk of GBS, rushed into hospital, 'worked on' and it was an incredibly scary time for them... and us! These babies sure know how to bring their parents world to a standstill eh?!

I'm pleased to hear that the feeding is going to plan! He sounds like he's cracked it!!!

Can I suggest that you make sure you're getting everything you need in terms of food, drink and rest? Yes yes, I know that as 'Mum' your welfare is on the list just underneath the slugs in the garden but please do make sure you're getting enough rest. It's a bloody hard job feeding a baby, don't forget the toll it's taking on you!

mayo

Star

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 1:08pm

thanks Bells...I do feel exhausted with all the feeding, and although I cant do much about that as hubbie had to get back to work, I am making sure I eat ...I do like eating :happy:
He has been taking slightly bigger feesd today so far with a couple of hours between so seems to be doing the job!
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 2:39pm

aww sorry to hear he's been poorly, well done with the breastfeeding :smile:
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 7:58am

How awful it must have been for you. Don't they learn quickly how to scare the pants off you? Clever boy remembering how to feed though. And well done mummy. X

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 9:56am

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
I'm sorry he was so poorly, you must've been beside yourself with worry. Rivka's baby had a very similar thing when she was tiny too, she was also at risk of GBS, rushed into hospital, 'worked on' and it was an incredibly scary time for them... and us!

Yes and at the time I was really struggling with being mum of two and it came as the perfect "get out" clause for me to mix feed and then eventually stopped bfing altogether around 12 weeks I think - something which I heartily regret. So pleased to hear that you have been able to pick it up again x

mayo

Star

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 10:49am

Thank you all.x
I'd been really worried about nipple confusion etc - they persuaded me to let him use a dummy in hospital, while he was nil by mouth, since he was so desperate to feed/suck that he was getting himself all upset, which was no good for his heart rate etc....anyhow, he actually split the dummy from sucking so hard :snigger: One or 2 of the nurses had let him suck a finger before that too and said how strong a suck he has so I guess thats why he found it easy enough to get back to business!!
He fed all night again until 1:30am but then slept until 7am this morning so I think we might have got back up to speed just about....probably just in time for his next growth spurt :happy:
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE