You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Primrose" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 11:13am

Refusing bottle

I've posted questions before on other threads so I'm sorry if I'm getting boring but....

Jessica is still refusing bottles from me and DH. We have tried the Tracey Hogg Haberman special bottle, the Breast bottle and common old Aventi bottles but no joy. It seems to be even the sensation of rubber that she hates - she won't even have a dummy in her mouth. (For those who haven't read my earlier questions, we did try her at about 4 wks with a bottle and she took it no problem - a week or so later she started refusing them from DH and then she started refusing them it me).

We have tried:-

Waiting until she is really hungry (she missed two feeds!)
Trying between feeds
Trying when she is half asleep

I have tried squirting the milk in her mouth but she won't even swallow it! She becomes absolutely hysterical. has anyone else had this? and should I now wait until she is older? I have a feeling she has a bit of a thing about it now but am I over estimating her mental abilities as she is still only 8 wks old.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 11:51am

I wish I could help you geogie but neither of mine have been very good with bottles.

My eldest never once took a bottle until she was 8 months old and my youngest took one for the first week or two then gradually refused them more and more until she wouldn't take one at all.

The only thing that I 'should' have done was to keep trying but I didn't and so it went pear shaped. I wasn't consistent enough.

• "Primrose" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 4:34pm

thanks - yes thats my fear, I suspect that Jessie may never take a bottle too :rolleyes: she's such a snuggley baby I'm sure bf is more about the closeness for her rather than the food bit. the HV has suggested using a cup so i'll give that a go too. at had 6 months in mind as light at he end of the tunnel but they do still neeed bf after that don't they i've heard. is it just a couple of feeds from then?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 5:02pm

It depends how long you want to carry on for geogie. During weaning the feeds very gradually drop until baby is on three good meals a day with puddings, yoghurts, snacks and drinks and so eventually you may only be feeding morning and night..... which is very lovely for baby and you as you still have those all important cuddles.

Definately try cups, if she doesn't take to them now then she will do when she's older. Try a sippy type cup (one of the cheapo ones from the chemist, no valves or anything, just a lid with holes in)

If you introduce a sippy type cup when you start weaning then it will become easier for Jessica to accept the whole shebang of food, spoons, bowls and cups without it affecting her main source of milk or comfort which is you. As she gets used to cups for main drinks then you can intoduce milk in cups too and bin the bottle idea altogether.

Try different cups for different fluids.... I used sippy cups for water and 'Anywayup cups' for milk..... it seemed to help as she always knew what she was getting.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, May 10th 2006, 4:53am

georgie - try your mum or a nanny giving the bottle to her

DS also went through this refusal with DH

then the nanny tried it, and he was ok once we swapped to using Pigeon teats on the bottles. it could be the way you (both) are holding your DD, or it could be she 'knows' mummy=boobie.

occasionally if DS has tummy ache he will also refuse, so lots of burping and belching is required but he does eventually settle down and take it.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE