You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Michelle

• "Michelle" started this thread

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 2:51pm

My little girl has a tongue tie

Well, after three very stressful days of constantly trying to feed my baby and having no midwife visits since giving birth (due to the snow) we have discovered that she has a tongue tie and has become lethargic as a result of her hunger :sadface:

I was hoping more than anything that breastfeeding would be a success for us and was prepared for the sleep deprivation and determination that this would involve - but i had no idea that it would be this hard!

After just three days i have had to give her formula to get something inside her little tummy :bawl:
I'm just so upset that this wasn't spotted and dealt with before now. We have an appointment to get her tongue tie snipped in the morning but in the meantime i have no choice but to give her formula. Will i be able to get her back on the breast tomorrow after doing this?? I so desperately hope so.

For tonight we just have to get her fed and i NEED to get some sleep.

Any advice would be great - anyone who's baby has had a tongue tie or anyone who has managed to get back to breast after bottle? Please reassure me :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 3:07pm

Hi hun

Bells will be around soon

Have a read through this

http://www.lcgb.org/Tongue_Tie_Leaflet.pdf

It's a new leaflet from the LCGB and is all about breastfeeding a tongue-tied baby

Hope that helps

xx

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 3:09pm

This might give you a bit more info as well http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/ip/IPG149publicinfo.pdf

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 3:22pm

Oh Michelle lovey!!! DON'T PANIC!!! It's certainly possible to pick up the breastfeeding and it's not too late. It's just one of those things and I'm certain you can get through it.

Right. Glad you're getting the snip in the morning, that will help drastically!! In the meantime is there any chance you could express? It's not really going to get an awful lot out of your breasts at this stage, I doubt that your milk has come in since she's not been feeding, however, it's about stimulating your breasts and catching this period of hormonal activity.

You should be able to feed straight away afterwards although it will be back to square one with her fussing, positioning and there will be some tricky decisions to be made with regards to when you stop the formula. This is probably going to be your deciding factor as the formula will be a safety net for you.

If you want to breastfeed then there is a very fine line between keeping Caitlin nourished and getting your breasts back into the picture. Today, concentrate on feeding her whatever you can, try to express and try not to worry. Tomorrow we can look at keeping her nourished and getting her back on the breast. By Friday you will have a massive urge to keep the bottles going 'just in case' and this is going to be your hardest time but by Saturday she could be on the breast fully.

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 3:28pm

Aaawww Michelle :hugs:

Sorry to hear this but I think Southcott's baby had this too and i'm pretty sure she managed to bf her after it was sorted!!

In the meantime I'm sure Bells will keep you heading in the right direction!!

Good luck

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Michelle

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 4:48pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
Oh Michelle lovey!!! DON'T PANIC!!! It's certainly possible to pick up the breastfeeding and it's not too late. It's just one of those things and I'm certain you can get through it.

Thank you :D i so needed to hear that! For three days now i've not been able to switch my brain off from thinking about feeding - when i've not been doing it, i've been awake worrying about it :sadface:
I feel much better now.

Quoted

In the meantime is there any chance you could express? It's not really going to get an awful lot out of your breasts at this stage, I doubt that your milk has come in since she's not been feeding, however, it's about stimulating your breasts and catching this period of hormonal activity.

I've just managed to express an ounce and a bit before it stopped flowing - is this a good amount do you think? Obviously it's not going to satisfy her for long and she's still getting it out of a bottle and not my breast which is not ideal but it's better than nothing. I think my milk is starting to come in - my colostrum was good stuff :smile: (very creamy and bright yellow) and i did actually manage to get alot of it down her using a syringe. Now it's looking more diluted and my breasts are getting huge and becoming very heavy.

Quoted

Tomorrow we can look at keeping her nourished and getting her back on the breast. By Friday you will have a massive urge to keep the bottles going 'just in case' and this is going to be your hardest time but by Saturday she could be on the breast fully.

That's the thing - i am worried about the tiredness too, it's far too tempting at the moment to give her formula and not even try her on the breast. I've had probably less than 10 hours sleep since Friday and i am so tired i actually feel like i could just collapse :8o:

I am so looking forward to getting this done tomorrow now and starting again so that i can hopefully begin to enjoy this magical time that i've been looking forward to for so long!

Thanks for keeping me sane everyone :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:03pm

Michelle. Is there any chance you can give DH the bottles while you go off to bed?? If he can take the reins until tomorrow morning you'll feel SOOO much better!!!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:25pm

Definitely do not panic. My nephew was tongue tied. he had a little snip to release it and went on to breastfeed normally - after a struggle to maintain mum's supply in the meantime. Not an easy thing to do but achievable in their instance. Poor you. Hope it gets sorted out very soon x

Michelle

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:42pm

My dh has offered to do that but i dont feel able to switch off knowing that he's not as confident with her as i am. I guess a bit of hands on learning is what's needed!

On the formula container it says not to store made up feeds and to use them within two hours - so this means getting up in the night and having to put the steriliser and kettle on, make the bottle, wait for it to cool all whilst baby is crying for her feed and my body is becoming more awake meaning that i cant get back to sleep......doesn't sound right to me?? I thought you make up the whole nights worth of feeds and put them in the fridge then just warm them up as needed ?(
This is why breastfeeding would be so much better - out of her crib, nappy change, on the breast and both of us back to sleep.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:47pm

Michelle, the up to date advice given is that you can have the bottles made up with water in them in the fridge and just add the formula once you have heated them up. But to be honest, i couldnt be doing with that faffing around during the night and i made up a 24 hour supply of bottles and kept them in the fridge and heated them up as and when required. My mum, sister in law and friends all did the same and didnt do any of our babies any harm. I asked my midwife about it and she said had to give the current advice but most mums did what i was doing as it was more practical and that was the advice years ago.

Hope that helps a bit x
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:49pm

I know nothing about making up bottles I'm afraid hun but that sounds like a complete palava to me. Don't take my word for it but is there a way around it with a flask of hot water which you can keep upstairs with you?

Like R, my DH is already worrying that 'I'll need to show him what to do' with the baby and is a little lacking in confidence about the practicalities. But I reckon R will be just fine. You need to get some food down you and some sleep hun. Wish I was closer so I could help out - even if it was just to pop some hot home made food on your doorstep!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:51pm

This thread should help hun

best way to make formula???

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 2nd 2008

Children: One beautiful little boy born 31/07/09, One beautiful little girl born 25/02/11

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 5:53pm

Oh Michelle, sorry you're going through this. I'd not heard of tongue tie before. Is it painful for her? Poor little thing.

Hope you get some sleep soon xxx

ICSI #1 BFP MAY'08 ;( MC @ 8 WKS

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 7:48pm

Hey Michelle...I think Kat/Alexander had the same problem with tongue-tie but I believe it was longer before it was spotted....and the same with Poptart/Sam if I remember correctly (my memory not as it once was!!!).
If only the mw had been able to visit (bloomin' snow!) and save you and Caitlin a couple of days stress, but at least it has been spotted now and being sorted tomorrow so you can still have the chance to tackle the b/feeding.
Goodnress, you must be just exhausted Michelle; like having a baby isn't tiring enough!
I really hope the b/feeding works out for you.x

ps....an ounce is not bad going you know....when L was sick and I had to express (after a couple of days reduced feeding) I was only getting about 2 ounces from each side max (and he was 3 or 4 weeks at the time).
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 8:57pm

Have just seen this Michelle, and just wanted to say hope it goes well tomorrow, and we'll all be here to help support you with the bfing.

I remember my dh being really worried about doing things for H, when we were in hospital but once we were home, he gained confidence so quickly, so if you feel able to, it may help boost his confidence, a few hours looking after Caitlin, knowing he can call on you, if he needs to (but hopefully he'll be fine, and you'll get some much needed rest!).

xxx

<

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 9:08pm

thinking of you and C tomorrow hunny , be brave
blowkiss

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 9:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle
My dh has offered to do that but i dont feel able to switch off knowing that he's not as confident with her as i am. I guess a bit of hands on learning is what's needed!

What's the worst thing that can happen?

Men are scared of doing the wrong thing, when we're hovvering over them they can feel very uncomfortable and worse still, might give up trying to help and might leave it all to you!

If you don't step back and get some sleep you'll be in no position to tackle the breastfeeding. Just for one night, even for a few hours at a time.... let DH do it. It will be good for him, good for you and it won't make a jot of difference to Caitlin.

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 8:33am

Hey hun

Im sorry that Caitlin has to have this done but at least its getting sorted eh?! I was like you with dh but you have to sleep like Bells says or else youll be no good to man or beast. My dh got really angry with me for butting in and not just letting him get on with it do for a couple of nights slept downstairs with G and just brought him up for feeds. He'll be fine, just takes practice. xx

Rivka

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 8:38am

Hope all goes well today x

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 9:28am

Did you get some rest? it's important to grab it when you can I know it's daunting leaving your DD with anyone after all you have had them with you since the begining I remember feeling really alone when I had my first nap and my DH took over, it's easier when we aren't around they feel more confident without us spying!

Hope today goes well you will be back BF in no time xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 11:05am

Hope things are going well Michelle!

xxx

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 2:05pm

Someone gave me a piece of advice when i was pregnant about DH's and she said when her little girl was a baby she would hang around her b.f and tell him dont do this and dont do that and her mum turned around to her one day and said Let him do it his way and you do it yours , that stuck with me and rearly now do i involve myself in the way Kevin deals with Mckenzi , i can understand with the b.f situation its a bit different but if R can help where he can and get used to letting C get used to the way he does things for her your find eventully it will work for you both...

Hope everythings going ok today
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "treezuk" (Feb 5th 2009, 2:06pm)

Michelle

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 6:59pm

Caitlin has had her tongue snipped today (i cried when it was done but she didn't!!) and the difference was noticable immediatly :D It was quite a bad one apparently and already managed to start seperating itself which has left a little scar.
She is now able to latch on much better but seems to be refusing to feed properly from the breast :sadface:
I have however managed to express a very impressive 8oz today and she has taken that via bottle. I am going to keep trying to offer her the breast but at the moment she just seems to use it for comfort and rather than sucking constantly to get her tummy full, she will take a few sucks then sleep on my nipple and then go back for more after a few minutes.......a very bad habit me thinks! Anyone any advice on this?

I am just happy at the moment that she is getting my milk even if does have to be expressed. I only had to give her one formula feed today, so that's not bad at all. Tomorrow is the day for starting again and i am determined to get there and get away from the formula altogether!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 7:08pm

That's great news Michelle!!

And to express 8oz is fab...has your milk come in do you think?

Someone will no doubt come along and give you good advice soon i.e.Bells :snigger: but the fact she's latching on better is a HUGE step!!

Hope is gets better tomorrow

P x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 8:02pm

Quoted

Caitlin has had her tongue snipped today (i cried when it was done but she didn't!!) and the difference was noticable immediatly

Great news.

Quoted

She is now able to latch on much better but seems to be refusing to feed properly from the breast

Good girl, but she's not stupid, she has obviously picked up that sucking on a bottle is much easier thatn a ther breast even though she finds it comforting. Can you give her milk through a syringe and a tube whilst she is on you breast so that she learns that boobs are where milk comes from again? You hold a syringe with a tube attached so that the end of the syringe is next to your nipple, as she latches on, depress the syringe to get a bit in her mouth and hopefully this will give her the idea.
Are you getting some specialist support?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, February 6th 2009, 1:29pm

How are things Michelle?

MrsJ's advice is good. Syringes and tubes are a bit of a faff but very useful and can quickly get a disinterested baby back on the breast.

Today must be difficult for you, having decisions to make about bottles that fill her up easily or breastfeeding which is possibly going a bit pear shaped at this stage. Remember we anticipated these problems and if you want support we're all here.

Take care x x x

Michelle

Friday, February 6th 2009, 3:16pm

Well the difference in her feeding is so noticable today and she is taking much bigger feeds which meant that i got a fairly good sleep last night!

Been expressing again today but also had her on the breast loads to try and get her to feed but she just wont do it :sadface: and i am making myself feel very ill with all the constant expressing and then having her latched on for half the day too. After every attempted feed or expressing milk i feel faint and dizzy and it's not lack of sleep i dont think - more lack of time to eat and drink properly and just pushing my breasts to do too much too soon.
I got out a good few ounces when i expressed earlier today and am trying to get a bit stockpiled for tonight so that i can get some sleep. I know this is not ideal but i WILL give up on this if i dont feel physically and emotionally better soon and i dont want that to happen. I have managed to get by the last two nights with only having to give her formula once each night and actually, she doesn't like it very much and much prefers mummy's stuff :D

I'm going to give the syringe and tube feeding a try from tomorrow when i can get out and get what i need for it, it sounds like a good idea.
Just worried that i might feel really ill tomorrow from everything i know i have to do tonight in order to keep away from the bottles as much as possible.

I have someone coming out on monday to start supporting us with this but that seems so far away right now.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Friday, February 6th 2009, 4:29pm

Michelle you're doing really really well in difficult circumstances!! Sorry it's not been easy for you but you are doing good!!

Try to rest as much as possible, eat really well and drink loads. Can you try to feed her lying down so you can have your feet up at least?

Good luck

P x

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, February 6th 2009, 4:35pm

Oh Michelle, sorry to hear that you're going through this.
Obviously I can't offer any advice.....but just wanted to ask if you've people helping you there hun? Have you got someone to bring you food and drink or to go shopping and get the syringe and tube you need? If you have then offload as much practical stuff as you can onto other people so that you are doing as little as possible.

xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Friday, February 6th 2009, 6:53pm

Really sorry you are going through this.

You sound like you are doing everything you can, in very difficult circumstances.

What Jen has suggested is good, if your dh/a relative/friend can do all the pratical things/bring you drinks/food etc, then at least that takes that pressure off of you.

xxx

<

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, February 6th 2009, 7:21pm

michelle, ive only just caught up with your news!

im so glad little caitlin has had her tongue sorted now and you can start to feed properly, weldone for being so brave :hugs:

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Michelle

Friday, February 6th 2009, 7:48pm

:bawl: I can't do it :sadface:

I pushed myself so hard today and let the midwife pressurise me and i spent the whole day feeding and expressing until my boobs were literally empty and squishy and afterwards i felt so ill and i fainted. I've got an upset tummy too and just can't function at all.

I couldn't get a doctor out to me but called the midwife who told me that i must rest and stop pushing myself......but it was a midwife who led me to push myself that hard in the first place.

The breast feeding has been a complete disaster due to the tongue tie and i'm so upset that due to no midwife coming out to visit for two days it was just left too long and my milk supply just wasn't what it should be and C never learned how to latch on. She still wont latch on and is in the habit of using the breast simply for comfort and not for feeding.
I've had no time to properly enjoy being a mum yet and after waiting so long for this all i want to do is enjoy every minute - i cant do that if i'm unwell.

I said i would NEVER give up trying to breast feed but it's looking very much i will have to unless i can find a balance.

Earlier i expressed 5oz and will give that to C tonight. It's going to be very emotional. Will i ever be able to give her more? :sadface:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Friday, February 6th 2009, 7:59pm

I'm sat here crying so much now :bawl:

I dont want to let go of the feeding but i feel so ill. I love it so much when i'm feeding her and we are looking into each others eyes, how can i stop giving her that when i love it so much too?
Nobody warned me how hard this would be. I just want to be a good mum to my little girl but i feel so awful :sadface:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, February 6th 2009, 8:02pm

Go, try to get some sleep, ANY sleep. Come back after that and start again.
Function for short times, don't think too far into the future. 15 min intervals.
Get your husband to do the feed and you SLEEP.

5 oz is a very good amount. I always used to freeze smaller amounts.

Have you contacted your local BF support group?
La Leche League is one of them.
Phone them just for a talk. They have got a help line number http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/about/helpline.htm

I am sorry you are having a rough time but you ARE doing great. It is not easy and all you should do now is to rest as much as you can and not to think too far ahead.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Rivka

Friday, February 6th 2009, 8:08pm

Look I'm trying so hard to think what you can do to turn this around. I have been in your shoes, lots of us have, and I know how utterly desperate and bone tired you feel right now.

All I can think to say is that it WILL end. If you want to make a success of the breastfeeding then you just have to ride this exhaustion. You know yourself that feeding in the night stimulates your supply so much more than in the daytime. I KNOW that that is not what you want to hear but unfortunately its true :sadface:. Is DH on paternity leave? Are grandparents around to support? If yes to both then may I suggest that you plough on with the feeding, night and day, but do nothing else and leave childcare and everything else to your team so that you can sleep?

On the flipside, breastfeeding is a wonderful thing but I've learnt too that you will love your child no less for formula feeding and they will return to you exactly the same amount of love that a breastfed child would.

Whatever you decide to do, you just have to do it 100% and not allow yourself to: if bfing - give in to the exhaustion; if ffing feel the guilt X(

I hope this can help you in some way. I wish I could give you some more practical support xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, February 6th 2009, 9:04pm

I've been where you are too. You have done EVERYTHING you can to give your girl breastmilk and you still can. I've sat and cried and grieved over the breastfeeding relationship I was told I could have and it never happened. I know this will fall on deaf ears right now, but please try not to be so hard on yourself, there will come a time when you can feel proud of everything you have done. I am not in any way saying that you have to give up now, just please try to go easy on yourself. Get as much sleep as you can and make sure you eat and drink properly.

Things that can help re-establish breastfeeding are lots of skin contact, bathing together in a warmish bath with low lighting, I was told that co-bathing can make babies think they are just emerging from the womb again and 're-awaken' the instincts they had to suck, so anythign you cna recreate eg the same music, can help. It didn't really help with Mooch but I know lots of mums who it has certainly helped.

You are expressing good amounts, thats wonderful stuff you are giving her. Supplements of fennel (tablets from a health food shop or the vegetable), and fenugreek can help increase the amount you get, as can Bach Rescue Remedy before pumping or feeding.

I was advised to pump every 3 hours to try and give my breasts similar stimulation that they would get from a regularly feeding baby, exhausting but I look back with pride that I got 11 weeks of breastmilk down her! You cna also get more milk out using a massage to assist your let down reflex. Start at the top of your breasts and using small circular motionson one spot press firmly into the chest wall. After a few secongs, move to another spot and repeat, don't drag your fingers along your breast tissue, keep repeating this in a spiral around the breast towards the areola. Stroke your breast from the chest wall to the niplpe with a light stroke and repeat all around your breast. Shake your breast gently whilst leanign forward so that gravity will help. My La Leche League book advised that you express for 5-7 mins (or longer if the milk is still flowing well), then massage, stroke and shake for about 1 min, then express for 3-5 mins, massage 1 min, then express for 2-3 min.

If she is latching on, you can try breast compression. As she is on your breast put your hand your hand around your breast, thumb on one side and finger on the other,watch her as she is feeding, if she is sucking at all, leave her but if she is well latched on but stops sucking, squeeze your breast and hold the squeeze, the faster flow of milk should get her feeding actively again, don't release the pressure until she stops feeding again, she may start to feed again once you stop squeezing, in which case, wait until she stops then compress again.If she doesn't, rotate your hand slightly around your breast and try again. Repeat until this now longer gets C sucking and then try the other breast.

You can also try suction retraining exercises. With clean hands, put your finger inside her mouth, nail down on to her tongue. Turn your finger over and slowly withdraw it from her mouth, repeat several times.

Some of this is stuff I remember doing myself, some of it is what I wish I had been told! I do remember our morning routine of lying in bed together, me just in knickers, her in just a nappy sometime trying to latch her on (sometimes it worked too), sometimes just cuddling and talking to her, it was lovely and I always felt good and happy just to be with her even if the feeding wasn't working. Hope you can feel like that too.

Friday, February 6th 2009, 9:05pm

Oh Michelle, I'm really feeling for you!!!

The only thing I can think of is once she's on giving your boob a bit of a squeeze? Think tecnical term is compression! Maybe C will start to associate boob and milk?? http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/a…ompression.html (not fz endorsed)

But 5oz is fab!!

Also, do you have local childrens centres? I know all the ones local to me do bf support groups although I appreciate you need help now not a week on thursday.

Whatever happens, you're doing your best and you can't do more than that so don't be too hard on yourself

P x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, February 6th 2009, 9:13pm

Great minds Philippa!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, February 6th 2009, 9:16pm

oh hun, i hope you can find the balance soon.

one thing you really need to do tho is sleep, for now leave dh in charge and go and lie down and sleep if you can, you sound exhausted. :sadface:

caitlin is still being given your milk, and after even just 4 hours of unbroken sleep you should feel a hell of a lot better, you have to ask yourself....are you doing caitlin a favour by making yourself ill?

she has enough milk till next feed, please go and rest. your dh will gladly take her for a while so you can recharge., just please try!

sending you lots of love :sadface:

:hugs:

k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Feb 6th 2009, 9:19pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, February 6th 2009, 9:37pm

Michelle, nobody wants to pressure you, nobody wants you to look back and say "there was so much pressure on me", everyone just wants to do the right thing by you. Do you want us to encourage you to breastfeed or deep down do you want 'permission' to bottle feed right now. Not that you need anyone's permission but do you feel that if we all (us, docs, HV, midwives) told you that you HAD to stop, you would feel somewhat relieved.

Difficult questions that require you to dig deep at a time when you feel as flimsy as a piece of paper ... but questions that you only have a short amount of time to find the answer to.

The advice you've had up there ^^^ is spot on and from women who I know have very good experience and who understand exactly what you're going through. If you want to give it another shot then you HAVE to eat, drink and rest. You really ought to be in bed for a few days with Caitlin, doing nothing at all and having meals and drinks brought to you. Do you think your husband would do that? I'll speak to him on the phone if you like?

Michelle

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:00am

Quoted

Do you want us to encourage you to breastfeed or deep down do you want 'permission' to bottle feed right now. Not that you need anyone's permission but do you feel that if we all (us, docs, HV, midwives) told you that you HAD to stop, you would feel somewhat relieved.

You've hit the nail on the head there Bells! Had another awful night forcing myself to keep trying but wishing deep down that someone would tell me to stop. My dh has been brilliant and wants me to stop now as he can see how ill i am but everytime C is hungry i go and put her back on the breast and have her there for ages before realising that i need to just give her a bottle and get back to sleep.

I only slept for 4 hours in total last night and that was in stints of no longer than an hour at a time so i'm exhausted again today and worried about fainting. Breastfeeding and expressing give me a really upset tummy as i feel my womb contracting and when i take her off my boob i am running to the loo straight away.

This has to stop now but i just have to convince myself that it's ok and that i wont live to regret it. The bond i have with my little girl is incredibly strong and even when i'm feeding her from a bottle we look into each others eyes and i can see that she loves me.

Thank you all for your support. I know that some of you are encouraging me to carry on and some are agreeing that i should stop and if i were reading this thread and giving advice to someone else then i wouldn't know what to suggest either.
It's just been nice to have this place to put down my thoughts and have such great feedback to come and read. In a few weeks time when i have settled down i can come back to this thread and copy things down into the diary that i'm keeping for C to give her when she's older.

I'm going to take her for a walk now and then when we get back the three of us are going to sit down and i will feed her the last of my expressed milk and make it the most special feed ever. Then when it's done it's on to formula for good and although it will take me a while, i feel better about it and i know the guilt will subside.

blowkiss

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

k377y

UNREGISTERED

• "k377y" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 24th 2008

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:05am

Hello Michelle

I just wanted to say have you tried a nipple sheild? The sheild might be just enough to confuse your daughter into thinking its a bottle teat?? Would be such a shame if you gave up feeding without having a go. I know its not practical but it maybe just the thing to help you and your daughter through this blip. You could try feeding her with the sheild on then sneak it off mid feed to see if she can do it without?

Might be worth a try.............I really hope it helps xxxxxxxx

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:06am

Michelle

Try not to feel guilty...you gave it your best shot and that's what counts!!!

Hope you have a better day now your decision is made

P x

p.s. I think I had as much sleep as you last night :snigger: welcome to parenthood!!!!

Michelle

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by k377y
Hello Michelle

I just wanted to say have you tried a nipple sheild? The sheild might be just enough to confuse your daughter into thinking its a bottle teat?? Would be such a shame if you gave up feeding without having a go. I know its not practical but it maybe just the thing to help you and your daughter through this blip. You could try feeding her with the sheild on then sneak it off mid feed to see if she can do it without?

Might be worth a try.............I really hope it helps xxxxxxxx

Hi Kelly, think it was you who emailed wasn't it? Thanks hun.

I really dont think this would work due to how ill i am getting even from expressing. I have lost so much weight in the few days since giving birth and everything i'm putting inside me is coming straight back out the other end (excuse the tmi) and i fainted yesterday due to exhaustion :sadface:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s
p.s. I think I had as much sleep as you last night :snigger: welcome to parenthood!!!!

Awwww and everyone says "sleep when baby sleeps" and then you want to say to them "i might be able to if you weren't sitting on my sofa.....get out of my house" :cross:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

k377y

UNREGISTERED

• "k377y" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 24th 2008

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:17am

Im so sorry Michelle....The exhustion of motherhood is really something else....Absolutely not worth it at all then hun. Happy mummy's make happy babies at the end of the day. The main thing is you had a go and ticked it off the sheet of things to do in life and your daughter will of reaped the beneifts of that! Enjoy your walk......breath in lots of fresh air.......have a scream if you feel like!

I really hope you are feeling better soon......xxxx

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:18am

In asain and chinese communities they have a month where the mum doesn't leave the house, and visitors aren't particularly welcome. They got the right idea!!

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:25am

Awwww Michelle, just been in tears reading your post this morning, I really feel for you. Catlin is such a lucky girl to have you as her Mum, I have no doubt that you will always do the best thing for her and will always be there for her. If breastfeeding isn't working then please don't beat yourself up about it. At the end of the day you know you tried and if you'd all be happier and healthier using a bottle then just go for it I say. Lots of love to you all x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Welshbird

Megastar

• "Welshbird" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 8th 2008

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 10:09am

Mich Honey :hugs:

Can i just say that after reading the struggle you have been thru since C was born, i have emmense respect for you hun ... i dont think i would have kept trying as long as you did ... You are a wondefrul mother who will do anything for her baby - DONT feel gulity about this hun ... i know that when i do get pg, i dont think i will BF, and im being honest. My two DD's were fine and bonded well with me from formula in the bottle, there is nothing wrong with it and u shouldnt be made to feel gulity about ur decision.

C can proberly tell how exhausted u are, and that its not a nice experience so she is getting agitated too ... give her the last of your expressed milk sweetheart, then change to formula. No one in their right mind can say u didnt try ur best - actually, u did more than ur best.

You are exhausted and u are missing out on all the special moments just after birth ... go ahead with the bottle and u be proud to hun, you have a beautiful little girl who is extremly loved by you and DH, what does it matter how she is fed, as long as she is loved. And im sure in years to come you will look back on this and wonder why you became so stressed, when your watching her grow into a beautiful young lady ...

Enjoy these moments honey, enjoy the fact that your DH can share in with them and he can too feed her while you get some well deserved sleep/rest. But most of all, you have NOTHING to feel gulity about .... my heart broke for you when i read how stressed u were/are ... please dont be hun, dont want u to miss out ....

Sending lots of love and hugs and cyber kisses to beautiful Catilin ...

xxxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Welshbird" (Feb 7th 2009, 10:09am)

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 11:34am

hey Michelle, you must be feeling gutted about b/feeding not working out, and exhausted from it all too, but please don't feel guilty.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE