You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

friction

• "friction" started this thread

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 3:22pm

Waiting time to get first Appointment- GRI ACS

Dear all,

Its a newbie question. We had been referred to the GRI ACS on
10/10/2008 by our GP, after unsuccessful 1.5 years of attempts. I am
27 years old and my husband is 30.

We haven't heard back from them for quite a long time. When we
called yesterday, they told that we have got an appointment at Dr
Yates clinic on 23/06/2009. I guess we have to handover semen sample
a week prior to the appointment.

In summary, approximately it took 8 months for the first
appointment. Probably many more months for starting treatment. This
doesn't sound reasonable at all for me.

Any one out here have experience of waiting 8 months to get the
initial appointment or is it these kind of timescale very normal? Is
there any way, I could make a personnel request/complain to the
clinic which could accelerate the process a little bit?

Any pearls of wisdom, much appreciated.

Love,
Friction

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 3:32pm

RE: Waiting time to get first Appointment- GRI ACS

I am in a different PCT area but it took 6 months from referral in 2006 for me to be seen by the ERI in Edinburgh in March 2007. Luckily I had private healthcare that meant by the time we were seen in March I'd had lots of other investigations. I was referred for IVF after that and told that there was a 3 year waiting list to receive IVF on the NHS. I was also told that, as we were classified as having unexplained infertility, we would need to have been trying for 3 years (at the time we'd only been trying for 2 years) before we could even go on that waiting list.

So, urm, whilst I agree with you that it is a long time to wait, unfortunately it isn't unheard of.

I'm sure some of the GRI girls will be along soon and hopefully they had shorter waiting times which would support your case of complaining.

good luck!
xx

(As you will see form my signature our journey has taken a different turn since being seen in March 2007).

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Feb 13th 2009

Children: NONE YET

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 4:10pm

RE: Waiting time to get first Appointment- GRI ACS

HI THERE,

I AM ALSO ATTENDING GRI FOR MY FIRST APPOINTMENT IN MARCH 2009, I WAS LAST SEEN AT CROSSHOUSE HOSPITAL IN AUGUST 2008 AFTER ABOUT 2 YEARS OF TESTS ON MOSTLY ON MY PART IE BLOODS AND GETTING MY TUBES CHECKED WITH THE DIE ALL OK.. BUT EVEN AFTER THIS FIRST APPOINTMENT GRI AFTER THE DISCUSSION OF MY DF SAMPLE RESULTS WE WILL THEN BE PLACED ON ANOTHER WAITING LIST EITHER IVF OR ICSI LIST AND WILL NOT BEEN SEEN AGAIN FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR :bawl:

WE HAVE BEEN TTC FOR JUST OVER 4 YEARS AND I HAVE READ A FEW THREADS ON THIS SITE AND THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THEY COULD BE WAITING FOR 22 MONTHS FOR TREATMENT BUT THIS IS IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THE NHS I DON'T KNOW THAT WAITING TIME IF YOU GO PRIVATE.

I KNOW IT'S HARD BUT CHIN UP AT LEAST NOW YOU KNOW THAT THEY HAVEN'T FORGOT ALL ABOUT YOU..

ME 29 - FINE - NEED TO LOOSE 3 STONES
DF 30 - LOW SPERM COUNT,
TTC 4 YEARS - TREATMENT ICSI SOMETIME IN 2010 xfingers
ONE DAY WE WILL BE PARENTS X

Reg: Feb 3rd 2008

Children: None as yet!!

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 4:32pm

Hi ladies,

just wanted to tell you about my experience - we had IUI and it did not work, last attempt summer 2008. Initital tests etc done 2006 and went for 1st IUI jan/feb 2007. We were then referred to GRI and advised that the time on the IUI list would count towards the waiting time for IVF.

Referral was done Aug 2008 and we got our 1st appt for IVF in October with the 2nd in November 2008.

We are Ayrshire patients and I believe the waiting list is different as well as the number of tries you get, depending on what area you come from.(we were advised 12 months and 3 IVF tries)

What I would say is ask at your initial appointment where you now are on the list. When we went in Oct they said top of the list but put us in the wrong drawer(!), but as I'm so impatient I phoned to see where my appt was and it soon got sorted out.

The staff are all really nice, I felt as if I could ask them anything and they have never made me feel daft!

Good Luck on your journeys.

xxxx.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Tinkerbell1" (Feb 24th 2009, 4:32pm)

Jan

Reg: Jan 25th 2009

Children: one on the way

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 8:07pm

as far as i know nhs waiting times is around a year. we decided to go to gcrm and pay for our first go. we made inital appt for gcrm in jan 09 and i am starting my tablets on 16/3 with injections starting around end of mar so been pretty quick compared with nhs. if you want to speed up process and can't afford to pay it all yourself (costs approx £4500 at gcrm) they offer an egg sharing scheme which brings costs down to around £1400 (receipient couple cover cost of your meds so in effect you pay for your own ivf / icsi treatment). Maybe something for you to look into if you aren't too keen on nhs waiting list....i know i wasn't! Would defo recommend gcrm - staff are lovely.

We didn't do that this time as i figure my priority is success for DH and i but will defo consider egg sharing in future.

as for nhs...........primary investigations have been ongoing since nov/ dec 08 and we have been referred however if icsi works with gcrm we will be taken off the nhs waiting list as nhs pay for treatment who have no kids.

does this answer anything or have i rattled on and on and on and on? feel free to pm me if i can be of any assistance.

whereabouts are you and DH? We are in sunny hamilton.
Jan

2009 will be our year

babydust :hugs:

Test date 21/4/09 :BFP:

Reg: Feb 9th 2009

Children: One precious little son born 2/2/10

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 12:56pm

Hi I'm also at the GRI and we had to wait approx 6months for first appoint then we had to wait another 8 months for our next appoint. We decided to book holiday and try and forget about it (easier said than done). The staff are all brill and will answer any questions and make you feel at ease. I know how hard it is but we all just need to take one day at a time. Lots of luck with appoint and any following treatment.

Christine xx

Keep happy and healthy xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 11th 2008

Children: 1 wee lad

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 1:02pm

waiting list at the GRI is 22 months long for ivf/icsi (unsure on IUI list)

ayrshire list is only 12 months long due to the NHS there providing more funding for fertility treatments

you get 2 NHS trys at greater glasgow whivh arent affected if you do a private cycle while waiting.

i am unsure about doing more than 1 private cycle as EAGISS guidelines that NHS scotland follow state if IVF/ICSI hasnt worked after 3 trys then they wont provide further funding. so be careful if you do decide on going private in the interim and check this out

also i dont know how the changes to criteria will affect the waiting list time, i thought more will be added to the list due to the relaxation of criteria allowing treatment for candidates with BMI over 30 and smokers being granted funding. i dont know if this is in place or not yet. but i assume the list will grow once it is recognised by all the NHS areas

shirlz

Ex: 4xICSI = 2x BFP(2x m/c) + 2x BFN
met my awesome BF lurve in sept 2012
Shock natural :BFP: May2013

arrived early (high BP & pre eclampsia) by EMCS at 35+6
baby4 home safe on Xmas day

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: Blessed with a wee girl on 12.03.10 and a boy on 30.01.12.....perfection

Tuesday, April 14th 2009, 5:59pm

Hiya,

we went to GP in August 2007. We got our first appointment at GRI in July 2008. We then went back for more tests in August 2008 and October 2008 and they found out that my hubby has some chromosone problems as well as being a CF carrier so we are having ICSI and PGD treatment. We have dates for treatment for June 2009 so it has taken about 2 years.

I think the really frustrating part I found was the initial waiting for the 1st appointment. We always assumed it was me that had the problem as I have very irregular periods and I thought I would just need clomid :innocent: How wrong were we. Its been a major shock for us as I felt that everytime we went back they told us that there was something else wrong :bawl:

The staff are lovely and all we can do is hope it works :smile:

Good luck
Natalie

1ST ICSI/PGD - JUNE 2009 = :BFP:

2nd ICSI/PGD - MAY 2011 = :BFP:

Reg: Jul 29th 2009

Children: 1 beautiful angel daughter xx

Saturday, August 1st 2009, 3:04pm

hi this post is probably a bit old but i will post anyway...

we got referred from our GP to our local fertility clinic in dumfries and didnt wait long for our appt in July 08, got referred to GRI in dec 08 with our 1st appt in August 09, but have been told that the current waiting list time is a year and a half from date of referral for treatment, so it looks like it cud be june 2010 till anything gets going...

going to ask them in august and see what they say....

xx
Confused.com

7/10/11 Mummy to Freya, born asleep @ 24 wks :tear:

Reg: Jul 20th 2009

Children: Still waiting to be blessed with 1 ... or 2?

Sunday, August 2nd 2009, 6:33pm

Confused.com -thanks for that.. i was wondering when i would be likely to get any treatment too..

Hoping things don't take too long, i have no patience what so ever!! lol

What stage are you at?

x x x

baby8Can't Wait For The Journey To Begin - Bring On The Bumpage!!x baby8

Thursday, August 6th 2009, 9:48am

hey littlemissdee

we have had 5 x clomid treatments/IUI = 5 x BFN :sadface:

we were referred to GRI in December 08 and have got our 1st appointment next wednesday, a dont have a clue as to what will happen or what they will say, my consultant in dumfries said that at the time the waiting list was a year and half so a would expect to have treatment in june 2010 - a hope its sooner....

what stage are you at? xx
Confused.com

Saturday, August 8th 2009, 11:27pm

Hey -

I'm still waiting on my 1st appointment, it should be at GRI... (i think)

Oh u must be so excited about ur appointment, hope it all goes fast and flies in for you!!!

x x x x x x :D

Sunday, August 9th 2009, 9:27am

hey littlemissdee, oh am gettin so excited now, a know treatment wont start ASAP but i have 10 billion questions i am looking 4ward to having my mind put to rest... i think it will also be good 4 my DH as i am sure they will want to talk to him about his low count and motility - if it comes from me it seems like nagging...... :cross:

keep me updated xx
Confused.com

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 10:26am

Hey you! :D

How's things?

Have you been for your 1st appointment yet?

My OH went to his GP today and she gave us a proper referral!! Wooo Hoooo!!! She told us we should wait about 3 - 6 months for the 1st appointment letter.

So excited now! can't wait to get the ball rolling.

I know what you mean about your DH thinking your nagging him, why do they think that?? Mines is the same, coz am always trying to pump him full of vitamins ahaha.

x x x x x x x

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 10:43am

hey

no its tomoro @ 3pm :D :D

oh a cannae contain myself - just read your post about the waiting list cuts - a hope that applies to us tomorro!!

oh my DH is murder , a read a FZ member's diary the other day about how she changed her DH's diet and got him to hav loads of vitamins - told my other half about and he was shocked - he said "what are u trying to say like?!?" a was flabbergasted! after more than 2 years of trying and having me going under every investigatory treatment under the sun and finding nothing - and all he has to do it produce a speciem!! i think he is totally in denial like...

i know it home for him the other week when we went to glasgow for him to produce his sample, i think now he realises just exactly what we are going thru..... things crossed he will nbe a changed man after tomorro.....

will let u know how a get on xx
Confused.com

emmamae1

Reg: Aug 11th 2009

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 6:02pm

hello confused.com
I have an appointment at GRI tomorrow too and I am FREAKING OUT.
I've been attending Monklands hospital for tests, the usual, but for some reason I am REALLY REALLY REALLY nervous about tomorrow.
:hairout:

Reg: Aug 6th 2009

Children: No kids - YET x

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 10:33pm

Good luck with your appointments confused.com & Emmamae 1 xxx
Mrs J x

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 12:27am

Good luck with appointments everyone!!

Let us know how you get on!

x x x x x x x x x x x

emmamae1

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 9:25am

hey confused.com
my appointment is 1.45pm.
I'm wearing a black plain dress and I have blonde curly hair.. I will look out for you. good luck!

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 10:18am

hey emmamae - me too - its finally sinking in!!

god your organised!! :snigger: i am still sitting in the couch in ma jammies watching jeremy kyle!! i can guarantee it will be jeans but i havent even thought about the top half! i have short brown hair and gorgeous gok wan black glasses with sparklie gems lol 88) 88)

dont think we are leaving dumfries til 1pm - if i dont see you i hope everything goes well xxx :D
Confused.com

emmamae1

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 11:20am

sadly I am at work (in edinburgh) this morning. my mind is totally not on it and I am counting the minutes till I leave for Glasgow (41 to go!)
maybe I will see you but if not, good luck.
(DH handed in a sample last week and said the place is a maze!!)

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 11:51am

Good luck!

Just wanted to butt in to say good luck for your appointments ladies. Hope they go well. Try not to be too nervous, you'll be okay...

Lots of love, Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 2:58pm

I can't wait to hear how you both got on today!!

x x x x

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 6:33pm

hey guys - now on the ICSI waiting list - expected treatment March 2010.... have replied in the GRI ACS thread with more details..... x
Confused.com

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 8:58pm

Woo hoo!!

You're now officialy on the waiting list!! You can start to prepare and get excited! Stay positive!!

x x x x x x x

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 11th 2008

Children: 1 wee lad

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 9:50pm

did u manage to get a look at the waiting list for all areas confused?

and were u placed on the list? i wasnt added to the list after my 1st appointment (even when i went for my private cycle they still hadnt officially added me!! and that was in april and i was referred in october 08!! lol)

xXx

Ex: 4xICSI = 2x BFP(2x m/c) + 2x BFN
met my awesome BF lurve in sept 2012
Shock natural :BFP: May2013

arrived early (high BP & pre eclampsia) by EMCS at 35+6
baby4 home safe on Xmas day

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 10:24pm

I'm worrying about the waitin lists now too... :sadface: Coz my OH's GP said that we should only wait 3-6months for 1st appointment and should have treatment within a year..

oh well, jst have to wait and see?!

xxx

Tuesday, August 18th 2009, 12:59am

a bit down.....

Hello guys ....

Had (what i thought) a regular check up with gyno today..

I told him that OH's GP had sent referral letter to GRI - he said that he would have to send a back up letter as the referral should come from him..

So we then asked him what the waiting lists where like just now (as we all know they are ever changing) and he said about 2 YEARS!!!!! :8o: :bawl: :bawl:

Im gutted coz then i will be 26 and OH will be 29!! OH said i'm being silly..... but what are the actual chances of it working 1st time for us??

Thinking about looking into private treatment!!??

How are u all doing??

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wednesday, August 19th 2009, 8:15pm

hey guys, thanks for all the well wishes - its much appreciated.....

shirlz - i didnt see any lists - although i was looking! - it all happened so quick - i will give it another week and give them a phone just to make sure i am definately on the list and double check where i am on it (just in case!!)

hey littlemissdee, i know exactly where you are coming from. i got married when i was 23 and my DHwas 24, i always had it in my head that i would be pregnant before we got married, then my wedding came and went and i was convinced i would be pregnant by the time i was 24, then 25..... now i will 26 next month... i have kind of resigned myself to what will happen will happen.... and my DH keeps saying i will have twins in the first go (there are twins on his side..... ARRGHH!!) ha x

i think what makes me worse is that the people who know what we are going through keep saying "oh your still young - BLAH BLAH BLAH!!"

keep the chin up love, what knocks us down just makes us stronger xxxx
Confused.com

Thursday, August 20th 2009, 4:30pm

Confused.com high5

Totally know where your're coming from girl! - people keep saying "oh your too young for a baby at your age" or they'll say, "hurry up and have one while your young!"

I'm 24 now, OH is 27 - so i'm setting my sights on being "mummy & daddy" by the time i'm 26 and OH is 29 :tear:NOT too happy about that i must admit! I expected to have one by now and possibly thinking about a second... but hey that's the way life goes.

Anyway - more to the point, how are you getting on? Are you getting exited about starting your 1st cycle? Any idea when it will be?? I was giggling when i read your bit about twins, there are twins on my side too! :8o: How fun would that be!? lol

Trying to get my OH to take his vitamins at the moment is driving me crazy but i'm trying to pretend it's not bothering me that much... 88) ;(

Much love to everyone!!

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Friday, August 21st 2009, 8:47am

hey littlemissdee, i am feeling a lot better about it now, more relaxed! i think it might start in March 2010 but i am going to phone them next just to make sure i am on the waiting list.... i think getting a new job that is quite fast paced has helped too and i popped into 2 see my consultant in dumfries and she also commented that i seem a lot better (i was an emotional wreck when i seen her and had to get referred to the nhs counsellor.... :sadface: )but i am feeling a lot better now - its gave me a kick up the arse to lose some pounds in time for march - DH included!!

me and my DH have this convo all the time - he only wants 2 but i want 3..... :snigger: :snigger: so he says if we have twins first time he is going in for the snip.... lmao i dont think he will go thru with it.... so i taunt him and say that as soon as i have had our twins am jumping straight back on him as i will be the most fertile i will ever be (ha that will be shinning bright!!) but it winds him up anyways.... high5

as for the vitamins - stick them in his mars bars - or better yet his snickers - he wont notice the crunch!! lol xxxxx
Confused.com

Saturday, August 22nd 2009, 5:20pm

HAHA pmsl

Ur so funny!! :snigger: Aw well i am glad u got the kick up the @rse that you both needed!! I've managed to get up to 8st 12lb, and its increasing so that's all good!! My periods completely stopped about 5 years ago so thats where all the problems began!!! :innocent: Anyway - all is fine now!!

Has a lovely wee bottle of red wine last night with my OH - it went down a treat so i think i will have another wee glass tonight!! :D

Hope you get started 2010!!! Not that far away lets face it!!! Woo hoo!!!

:thumbsup2: starsmile

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Reg: Feb 4th 2009

Wednesday, August 26th 2009, 4:47pm

Hi ladies

just thought i would add my bit with regards to time
My GP refered me to GRI on 31st March 09, my 1st app is 1st Dec 09 so it worked out at about 9 months between referal and 1st app !

babydust for you all
nic xxx

Thursday, August 27th 2009, 8:16am

Hi Nic!! :smile:

That was quite a short wait you had! Nice one!! :D Are you really looking forward to it? I actually can't wait to get started but i know once i start and all the side affects kick in off the stimms i will eat my words, lol, but it's all worth it isn't it.

I'm just getting ready to leave for work now so i will sign in when i get there to keep tabs on everything :P

You have a nice day hun!

xxxxxxx

Thursday, September 10th 2009, 11:01pm

UPDATE

Well i still have no bloomin letter in yet!!!!

Got a number for GRI and am phoning them 1st thin in the morning!!

Been off work today with the flu, not liking it one bit!! :sadface:

Anyway, started a wee diary in the male factor/icsi bit if anyone wants to pop in for a wee yap!!

x x x x x x x x bigkiss

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE