You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "poptart" started this thread

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 2:53pm

Thumb sucking

Has anyone else's baby found their thumbs?

Sam has been constantly sucking his thumb since Friday and I've been constantly pulling it out! Now I know all the mods are going to jump on me from a great height and tell me to leave him alone, he'll grow out of it ..... but he's making his face sore from all the slobber (and the rads are all covered in soggy bibs :snigger:)

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has found a way of nipping this habit in the bud I'd love to know. Failing that is there anything I can do to protect his face?

I saw a woman on the bus sucking her thumb not so long ago she was 30ish and probably didn't even realise she was doing it!!!! Nasty habit I hate it!!!!!

PT xxx

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 4:13pm

Lachlan hasn't found his yet, but Mason sucked his from wk 3 and still does! Harri also sucked his from wk3 but stopped of his own accord, thankfully, at about a year. Strangely, Mason's teeth are straighter than Harri's and Harri gets way more colds than Mason (you'd think the one with thumb in mouth all the time would be getting more germs in there). I was hoping Mason would stop once he started school, but nope!
I don't know of any way to stop them doing it I'm afraid....aqueous cream for sore skin though perhaps ?

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 8:06pm

Hi Mayo I knew asking was a long shot but if you don't ask .......

I got a HUGE pot of Aqueous cream from the Dr's and I've used it tonight as you suggested so I'll see what his face is like tomorrow.

Blimey what with his Ezcema and this sounds like I need a big vat of Aqueous so I can just dip him in :snigger:

PT xxx

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 8:20pm

Hi Pop Tart,

Thumb sucking is unfortunately one of those things and a lot of them grow out of eventually. I know it's easy for me to say that as I'm not the one living with it though.

Something you could try is ensuring that you having lots of toys available for him. He maybe trying to taste everything and explore with his mouth. By having toys available you could lessen the amount of time he put his thumb in his mouth - just an idea.

Aqueous cream sounds like the best way forward to helping with his sore face.

You could always speak to your health visitor for more advice.

Good luck.

:xxx3:

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 8:20pm

Im having same problem too PT and i dunno what to do either i really dont want him sucking his thumb i do look at him and keep reapeating take your thumb out of your mouth and occasionly he is taking his thumb out of his mouth so he must sorta understand that im telling him not to do something , and i am also taking it out of his mouth to if i see him but i havent found anything to stop him tho...

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 10:19am

Hi Laura....I thought making sure he always had something in his hands was a good idea too :smile: but it doesn't work in practice :snigger: he soon drops the toy or manages to get tpy and thumb in his mouth :rolleyes:

Hi T....I had an idea lying in bed last night (as you do :snigger:) I'm going to try Sam in his scratch mittens today....I know he'll still try to suck his thumb but at least it might help to soak up some slobber :snigger: His face looks worse today like he's got a teenage spotty rash.

PT xxx

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 5:50pm

Now that you've said that about the scratch mits PT...that's probably why L didn't find his thumb in the early weeks as all his sleepsuits had the fold over ends that cover hands.....if he's at all like his brothers though, he'll find his thumb at some point :snigger:
I know what you mean with the aqueous cream...had never heard of it until I had Mason and now we can't be without it...Harri had a red, sore nose this week, from constant blowing, but a dab of the aq. cream when he went off to bed each night has healed it in no time.

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 8:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by poptart
Hi Laura....I thought making sure he always had something in his hands was a good idea too :smile: but it doesn't work in practice :snigger: he soon drops the toy or manages to get tpy and thumb in his mouth :rolleyes:

Sorry it's not working hun. I know it's difficult, but I'm not a mum so i don't have any first hand experience in this area.

Good luck though.

xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 8:47pm

Quoted

Originally posted by poptart
Now I know all the mods are going to jump on me from a great height and tell me to leave him alone, he'll grow out of it .....

Goodness me, we don't do that do we? He's your baby, if you don't like him doing it, thats fine. As far as I know, the only 'medical' reason to discourage it is becasue it can affect the position of his teeth. He is only a tiny baby and he may well just stop doing it all by himself so I wouldn't worry just yet that he will be sucking his thumb at school. I used to suck my thumb and had stopped of my own accord by school age and my teeth are fine. At this stage he could well be drooling pretty much constantly anyway, so the thumb in his mouth will just be spreading it round his face, but then so will almost anything he puts in it. You may want to consider a dummy if he doesn't already have one, it gives him the same comfort of something to suck but you can take it off him at some point in the future when he might have grown out of needing to suck for comfort. Also worth trying is smearing vaseline on his face when its dry to provide a barrier and keep the moisture of it.

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 8:55pm

:sadface: I wouldn't jump on you from any height

What he is doing is natural (babies suck their thumbs as early as in the womb) and he's getting comfort and reassurance from it. If you don't want him to do it, that's your choice. Our 'job' here is purely to advise if advice is wanted, just because our views may be different to yours, doesn't mean we're right or wrong!

My DH's children all suck/sucked their thumbs for comfort at night time and the dentist told DH that it isn't a problem and isn't anything to think about stopping until they are 6..but that most children grow out of it between 3 and 5.

Personally, I think it's the most natural thing in the world for a child to get his reassurance and comfort, but that's my opinion and I certainly wouldn't dictate to you that taking it away from your own child is wrong.

• "gayle1803" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:04pm

I sucked my thumb tll I was 8!!!

Shocking age I know , but hey I turned out perfectly normal :D

well I suppose thats a matter of opinion :snigger:

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:06pm

PT I have the same problem, both my twins are thumbsuckers and so was my big girl. She grew out of it when she was about 6 but up until then she would pull fluff out of a teddy and rub the fluff round her nose whilst sucking her thumb, her thumb used to get so sore as well.

TBH I tried everything to get her to stop but nothing worked and the twins are heading the same way although it is only for comfort when they are tired whereas C would have her thumb stuck in all day, I've tried dummies but they wont entertain them.

I am a thumbsucker breeder :snigger:

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:12pm

I have no advice, I am afraid. I am not a fan of thumb sucking nor of the dummy and, lucky for me, C tried each for a very short period (the first time he had an ear infection he wanted to suck all the time and when my nipples started cracking again I stuck a dummy in his mouth as I could not tolerate the pain) and decided he did not like them.
He's only been doing it for a short time so maybe he will also decide that it's not for him.
Also have you considered that he may have started teething (esp with all the drooling) and sucking his thumb is helping him with the discomfort? If that is the case some teething remedies may help. Just trying to think of possibilities - brain storming as such...

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Lexie
both my twins are thumbsuckers and so was my big girl. She grew out of it when she was about 6 but up until then she would pull fluff out of a teddy and rub the fluff round her nose whilst sucking her thumb, her thumb used to get so sore as well.

I am a thumbsucker breeder :snigger:

Me too :snigger: Funnily enough my DD1 used to have a 'golly' (corner of a cellular blanket) that she used to rub round her nose whilst sucking her thumb! She was still sucking in bed up to about 10 but as it was only in bed I let her get on with it. She too had a lumpy bumpy red thumb!!

DD2 is thumbsucking too now but tbh it gives me a break and she settles herself now so I'm not going to try fighting a losing battle. Tried her with dummies and she won't have them, she only wants her thumb or my nips!

Good luck

P x

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:17pm

Yeah thats me, I just let them get on with it cause C's was stuck in her month like a piece of concrete, I would try and pull it out when she was asleep but it was like pulling teeth, it would just shoot straight back in. In fact it was like an arm wrestling competition where I would be pulling and she would be pushing it back in :snigger:

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s
Tried her with dummies and she won't have them, she only wants her thumb or my nips!

Good luck

P x

I think C likes my nips too well and that is why he did not like the dummy or thumb in the long run. TBH I did nothing to stop him as, much as I don't like thumb/dummy sucking, I do realise that it is something that some children just need to do

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 11:43am

My two youngest were thumb suckers whereas my two oldest had dummies. out of the two I think I prefer the thumb sucking to be honest! Both had a 'raggy' too, which was just a towelling nappy that they used to cuddle to go to sleep. Harley stopped sucking his thumb by about 3, unless he was really tired or poorly, and Alex sucked her thumb for brief periods till she was about 7, but only if she had a raggy as well. Neither have any problems with their teeth at all, or deformed thumbs or anything like that.

I think you just have to go with the flow to be honest. Short of tying their hands to their sides there's not much you can do! They grow out of it, I haven't seen any adults lately with their thumb jammed in their gobs trying to hold a slurred conversation!

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 1:59pm

A wasn't thumb sucker but had/still has a dummy ( just for sleep time now ). My neice sucked hers constantly and has since stopped a little, but if she's tired the thumb goes in :D. She's 2 next week. Personally I can't see the problem if it's a comfort thing.
Sam's at the age where everything within grabbing distance will go into his mouth hunni. He's just exploring his fingers and mouth, I'm sure he'll grow out of it.It could also be the first pangs of teething and it's a help to his gums at the moment.

Id also try vaseline, I saw my friend this am who's LO is 6 months. She's found her thumb too and had a rash over her face and she was told Vaseline was best.

He may grow out of it hunnui, the good thing I guess is that you won't have to turn the house over looking for a dummy at 2am :innocent:.

xx

Friday, March 6th 2009, 9:30am

Just caught up on this thread...thanks guys, I post in a mo.

PT xxx

Friday, March 6th 2009, 3:19pm

Ok here now....

All mods - Sorry :O I read an old thread re thumb sucking and the dentist and everyone seemed to be all for thumbsucking and you know me Mrs Paraniod :snigger:

Laura - thanks anyway hun xxx

Mrs J - Yeah he has a dummy during the day but he can't keep it in. I've tried the Vaseline today thanks for that.

Lexie - Sam's like that....I'm sure there's an invisible piece of elastic conecting his thumb to his mouth.

Rene - I wondered about teething too? Would his gums be hard if this was the case cause Sam's are still soft.

Mrs Smiff - I've recently read that there's no real proof that it can affect their teeth although I always thought it did. I just don't like thumb sucking but it's becoming clear there's nothing I can do but more to the point it maybe something that he actually needs to do and I can't deny him that.

Cazzmo - Luckily he doesn't need a dummy or his thumb to get to sleep at night. I think you're right he is just exploring and maybe this is his lastest discovery and in a few weeks he'll have found something else like his big toe :snigger:

Funnily enough though he's not been so interested in his thumb today....it's been in his mouth but I haven't had a constant battle with him. He's had mittens on which has helped but today he's been able to get them off :rolleyes: His face is an awful mess but I can see the vaseline working given time. I hope he does grow out of it but if he doesn't what the heck I can think of worse habits, he's a happy boy that's the main thing.....I'll just have to lump it :snigger:

PT xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, March 6th 2009, 8:28pm

Oh and I meant to add that I found socks on the hands stayed on a lot better than scrath mits, so that might help.

I think you have the right attitude, short of handcuffs, you can't do much and there are worse things. I speak as someone who's daughter has spent most of the day picking her nose, eating it and pronouncing it 'tasty'!

Saturday, March 7th 2009, 8:30pm

:snigger:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE