You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "philippa_s" started this thread

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 9:31am

explanation of terms in notes

Hi

i am wondering if someone can help? i got my notes of the birth this week and at one point are referring to ROT, i know/ found out what other terms mean but can't find this one.

thanks

p x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 10:04am

ROT will stand for the exact position of the baby's head in the pelvis= Right Occipito Transverse.
THis means that the widest bit of your little one's head was lying across the inside of your pelvis, which is the narrowest part.
Normally the baby will be lying with the occiput( the large bit at the back of the head) towards, your tummy, and be born looking at the floor, but in this case, because the widest bit of the head is trying to get through the smallest diameter of the pelvis, it causes problems.

Does that make sense?? I hope so. i'm sure bells will be along with a picture to explain it better!

What sort of delivery did you have??

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 11:53am

thanks rose

a horrific one!!!!

from my notes it looks like they tried to manually rotate her into what they thought was OA but couldn't quite make it so then had rotational forceps delivery but she was born OP

p x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 12:31pm

I can only work out positions by standing with my head cocked to one side, moving my mouth, pointing in different directions and generally looking like I'm trying to work out an equasion. :D

First pic is of an OA baby. This is the best postition for your baby to be in.

Next is your baby - ROT

and last the position your baby ended up in - OP

Thursday, March 5th 2009, 12:37pm

thanks bells lol!!

Welshbird

Megastar

• "Welshbird" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 8th 2008

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 2:40pm

Oh my goodness!!! Some great pics there lol. My 2nd DD was OP - the last pic lol

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 1:14pm

Hello! Only me again still trying to get to grips with stuff 7 months on....

May seem like an obvious question to all those of you experienced in these matters and with vast knowledge, but is it actually possible to give birth to your baby if she is ROT? Will she descend down the birth canal or would it explain why she was stuck?

The reason I ask is that they had me pushing for over 2 hours whilst her head was ROT...seems a bit pointless if she was never going to come out.

P x

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Friday, November 13th 2009, 10:33pm

Hi, I was browsing and spotted this thread. I see nobody answered your last question. In a word - no - your baby could not be delivered in that position - it's what's known as a deep transverse arrest, and they need to try to turn the head, preferably to OA, but sometimes it won't go that way and they'll try to turn it to OP. Occasionally that doesn't work either and they have to do a c/s. They usually use a type of forceps called Kiellands, and in most hospitals this type of forceps delivery is only attempted in theatre. Hope this satisfies your curiosity! All this should have been explained to you at the time, or at least at your postnatal check.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE