You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Suzy Q" started this thread

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Monday, March 16th 2009, 9:58pm

Giving up bottles

Todays the day I've decided no more bottles. Thing is I'm not entirely sure who I'm doing it for. The babies are 17 months and up until today had 4oz of milk in a bottle after breakfast and 9oz after tea before tooth brush & bed. They take water/squash/juice in assorted cups during the rest of the day. I plan to still give the milk feeds, just from cups rather than bottles.

My quandry is I know they really love their bottle feeds so i'm not sure who benefits by me taking them away. What have you guys done? If i carried on just giving the pre bed bottle would they eventually give this up of their own accord? Or will I have teenagers on my hands with embarrassing bedtime habits??

I'm sure after a few tears they'll get used to not having bottles but although they're both good sleepers on the odd night my little girl wakes up a quick bottle and a cuddle settles her really quickly - I'm not sure a sippy cup with have the same effect!

Any words of wisdom?
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Reg: Feb 4th 2009

Monday, March 16th 2009, 10:28pm

Hi Suzy Q

Isla just went straight onto the beakers, she never missed her bottle. In fact she preferred the beaker 'cos she could get a right good chew at it.
She was sleeping right through so i am not sure how it would have worked through the night.
I would say go for it, they might surprise you and not miss their bottle at all ( i have a nephew who at 8 !!! was still taking a bottle, he knew he shouldn't be 'cos he used to hide it when you went into the house :snigger: )

Good Luck, but i am sure your babies will be fine
nic xxx

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Monday, March 16th 2009, 10:56pm

Gregor still has a bottle in the morning and at night before he goes to bed ... he loves his bottle at night. Can't remember when I stopped Callum's bottles .... think he was 3 and had no problems then what so ever .. he was older and I could explain that he was a big boy etc... and he was fine with it.

Our little guys are all different ... you'll know when is right for your little guys ..... good luck :P
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 8:44am

Isla is now 2 years 1 month and still has her nighttime bottle. She just wont drink milk out of any kind of cup/beaker. Think she just likes to settle herself for the night with a "cosy bot" as she calls it. She's only just stopped having one in the morning but still occasionally asks for it x
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 9:05am

I changed M from a bottle to a cup when she was just over a year old, she took to it fairly quickly, she was almost walking and would stand with the bottle hanging out of her mouth in her cot that's what made me do it!

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 10:20am

Ella still have a bottle in the morning and at bedtime. But she's been showing signs of wanting her milk in a cup - which then after a straw bubble blowing session ends up all over her jimmies!
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 2:06pm

Suzy, I had this similar dilema! I decided that H should start having his morning milk from a beaker, with the idea of it becoming the way for bedtime too.

H drinks water well from a beaker, but we had big issues with his morning milk, refusing it completely from a beaker! I started to think, 'who am I doing this for?', and think, for me, it was because I had it in my head, that the 'books/experts' say he should be just on a beaker now.

When I chatted to friends with older children, they were quite relaxed, saying he will get there eventually, and is still quite young.
At bedtime, I think he likes the comfort of his bottle too!

So, we decided to go back to bottles, for milk, and whilst some may say we gave in, I think we decided it wasn't too much of an issue for us, at this point.
I also think that as H isn't the biggest of toddlers, and he is very active, I like knowing he has had his milk in the morning, and a good breakfast, and is all set up for the day ahead, and I think that this partly outweighed us perservering at this point

From chatting to others, it sounds like as they get older, it is something we can broach, and move towards a beaker/cup for milk, when he is a bit older.

I hope, whatever you decide, it goes well for you.
You will know what is right for you and your babies.

xxx

<

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 7:35pm

Hi, mine took to beaker really early. Believe or not D was on hers at 20wk and N about 6 week later. They do prefer it as they get their milk quicker. But I have seen plenty of even 3yr olds with bottles still hun. Just do what your bubs prefer, thats what I would of done, they will soon let you know when they are ready. Give it a go they may like it, if not then I wouldn't worry too much hun.

Good luck

xxxx
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 8:06pm

Hi suzy

Evie-mae is 21 months old now, and still has a bottle in the morning and before bedtime,
She drinks water and juice from a beaker

I was going to stop the morning bottle when she is about 2, (heck thats only 2 months away)
if she is ok with the change then i might attempt the bedtime bottle too

you do what you feel is right hun
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 7:11am

I was quite anxious about this. The recommendations are to stop bottles around 12 months because sucking a fluid with sugar (milk has a tiny bit) over their teeth is not good. However I checked with my dentist and he said a couple of bottles a day up to 3 years of age is unlikely to do any harm. So I chilled about it for a bit. Anyway, we decided to stop them properly about 6 months ago. I would advise that you move the bottles right out of sight so that your LO forgets about them. We had about 2 days where I worried that she wasn't getting enough fluids but then she just seemed to get the idea that milk comes from a cup as well as a botle and now things are fine. I make sure she has calcium in cheese, milky sauces, cereals and yogurts. Now she will drink milk from an open cup, a sippy cup and with a straw.

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 4:13pm

Thanks girls, It's day 4 today and they're getting the idea that they don't have bottles for milk anymore. They have dropped a few oz but are getting better. I think now I've got this far I'll persevere as long as they get a decent amount - they definately like their bottles more than they like milk though. I think it helped having 2 babies, when I offered them a cup each they turned their noses up at it but then I only offered one cup and it became a lot more desirable when there was competition :D

They also have been going down with a bottle with a few oz of water in it. I did cut this out as well but after two nights of tears I've reinstated it. I know they use it as a comforter but I figured it's not doing them any harm so will hope they grow out of it or we'll tackle it at a later date!

small steps

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
1st IVF August 06 BFN

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 9:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Suzy Q
I think it helped having 2 babies, when I offered them a cup each they turned their noses up at it but then I only offered one cup and it became a lot more desirable when there was competition :D

What a clever mummy. Thats a trick to use again in the future!

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Friday, March 20th 2009, 12:39pm

I am slowly moving R over to cups for her milk except last one at night as too tired. She is also crafty in that if I give her a bottle/cup she will want me to hold it but when daddy does it, she holds it :snigger: - I now don't hold it for her to see if she will hold it or not (working so far). I only did this from 1yr old as she was on medicine before and the doctor said to stop the Gaviscon when she is on cups etc. So far she is not keen on juice in a cup so mainly has just milk - still getting used to taste of juice. Likes water also but prefers milk so thats good to put in the cups.

I thought Suzy's idea was good - offer one cup so both want it.

I still find it strange not sterilising after a year of doing just that :snigger:.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Friday, March 20th 2009, 1:00pm

I think I will try E with milk in cups from now on. Did try it the once but she is so used to the bottles she tends to give up.

Good luck everyone!
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, March 20th 2009, 3:22pm

C drinks from a cup through the day but at night he wants his bottle. I let him have it. When he is a bit older and I can reason with him then we will look at stopping that too.
Now can someone tell me how to get a child of 2 and almost 4 months off the boob?

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 2:19pm

Update

Well 10 days on and last night I gave them their milk in their bottles again! There hadn't been any tantrums about them not having milk in bottles just they weren't very interested in it when it was offered in a cup and were only drinking 4-5oz a day. In the end it was more important to me that they got a good amount of milk (and seeing Charlie thrash his legs about in excitement when he had his bottle back was just a bonus :D). They are both good eaters and have a good diet but I think I'll leave it a while longer before trying again. I just hope I'm not creating a rod for my own back!!
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
1st IVF August 06 BFN

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 7:38pm

RE: Update

Hi Suzy

Sorry I have no advice, but just wanted to say it's lovely to hear from you and glad you and the pickles are well :D

I know my friend waited until her little girl was ready to give up bottles, and there was no problem because she waited until she understood what was happening.

Take care and love to your Lo's

xxxxxx

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 8:26pm

Hi,

My two stopped having bottles at about 9 months, i found it was hard for a few days but when they realised they weren't getting it any other way they soon took to the beaker!!!

This thread is very old but may help....

Beaker cups???
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE