You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Michelle

• "Michelle" started this thread

Friday, March 20th 2009, 6:32pm

Comfort sucking

Whilst i'm delighted that C will now latch on much easier and bf during the day, i'm worried that too much of her time is spent using my nipple as a dummy.
She will only fall asleep on my boobs during the day and then i have to try and put her down but she always wakes up. At the moment she's poorly so that doesn't help as she is needing lots of extra comfort.

Does anyone have any good advice for getting her out of this habit? I obviously don't want to discourage her from getting a good feed either though.....i know, i want the moon on a stick don't i :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Friday, March 20th 2009, 6:35pm

I'm afraid I had exactly the same "problem" with Plum and the only thing that changed it was time, as she got older she became easier to put down for naps without all the rigmarole that can go with it. Sorry if thats not helpful, perhaps someone will be along soon with an amazing handy hint I'll wish I had three years ago :snigger:

Michelle

Friday, March 20th 2009, 6:51pm

No, i'm sure your right Rivka - i can't see how it's possible to stop her from doing it. Afterall - it is all my encouragement to get her back on the breast that's caused it, so it was bound to happen.

I dont mind that she does it, it's just how often. If i had someone to bring me tea and food i could quite happily let her do it all day :happy:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, March 20th 2009, 8:18pm

We have a similar thing hun. I suppose part of me thinks that part of breast 'feeding' is about comfort as well so I don't mind too much - although as you say it can be restrictive. Is she making you sore?

One thing that seems to work sometimes with baby bubble is whilst she's on the breast stroking down her forehead to the end of her nose, over her eyes, and then continuing that after she's come off. Sometimes it fools her into thinking that its ok to stay asleep after she's come off.

Did you see the GP?

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Michelle

Friday, March 20th 2009, 8:49pm

The soreness is much better, just hurts at the start for a minute or so and then settles down once she's got going. I have ditched the nipple shields happydance and managed without them yesterday and today!
I'll tell you what does hurt though - when she's not really hungry and is just sucking for comfort, she gets easily distracted by noises and turns her head, taking my nipple with her :snigger:

We did go the gp and C threw up on his carpet, so he gave her some infant gaviscon. I wasn't convinced that it was the right treatment but actually, it seems to have helped so far and she's gone to sleep after a big feed :happy:

ETS - will try your suggestion Bubble, sounds like it might work! C likes having her feet massaged too so that's another thing i could maybe try.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

nickate

• "nickate" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 13th 2008

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 7:19am

Tobe does it too, just for comfort, sometimes he has me up very regular during the night for this, but I think only time will stop the habit. The problem is that when it stop it is me who is going to miss it :snigger: just so nice to have him close, I will miss it

Kate x
Katex jilly bab13

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:06am

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle
she gets easily distracted by noises and turns her head, taking my nipple with her :snigger:

mine do this...who'd have thought your nipple could stretch that far eh!!!! :snigger:

one of my girls used to do the comfort sucking thing and would only sleep on me, does C have a dummy? i used to keep them close to me but switch my nipple for the dummy but keep them close so they thought they were still latched on, it worked and gradually over time i was able to hold them not as close and eventually put them down.
he obviously enjoys his mommy snuggles!! :happy:
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:11am

A did this with me too, he used me as a dummy to go to sleep. I gave in and he had a dummy inbetween feeds and that helped.

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Michelle

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 9:35am

Yeah, i did actually try a dummy weeks ago when i thought that we wouldn't be breastfeeding but she didn't want it. I'd like to try again but think i should leave it a few weeks as she's still getting used to the nipple/bottle teat combo.

For now i guess it's just me and my girl on the sofa then :D
The other day, we were sat on the sofa when my dh left for work and when he got back we were still there :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Friday, March 27th 2009, 8:32pm

Ok, well we have decided to give the dummy a go tonight as C has got the hang of the breast/bottle combo!
So far i have had to go her crib about 20 times in the past half an hour to pop it back in her mouth :snigger: she's waking up everytime it falls out!

We'll see how it goes.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, March 27th 2009, 8:49pm

C never took to the dummy - he used it for a day or two at 6 months old when he had an ear infection and the sucking helped with the pain (it seems) and has refused it since. He is now 2 years and 4 months and he still wants the boob in order to settle to sleep...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE