You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Michelle

• "Michelle" started this thread

Friday, April 17th 2009, 10:23pm

Does this sound like a blocked duct?? Bells?!

My lo has been feeding loads more than usual over the past few days (although she has formula at night still) and yesterday the right boob started to get really painful. It hurts in the same area every time, high up in the breast and usually gets worse as feed time approches and feeding is painful from that side (more painful than normal i mean!!)

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, April 18th 2009, 11:23am

Ok, sometimes, if you're making a lot of milk and your baby isn't draining the area sufficiently, the duct can fill up too much, make the area around it inflamed which compresses the 'full up' duct and makes it sore. The the duct isn't actually 'blocked' but it's full, draining poorly and the inflamed area around it makes it sore.

To alleviate the symptoms and stop them from getting worse, we need to help that duct to drain properly and help the inflammation around it to settle down.

First is there a bra fastening that's been compressing that area of breast tissue while you feed? Do you feed in a certain position that could be compressing the area?

Those ruled out, you could try switching how you hold her for a wee while, perhaps putting her in the rugby hold position for a day or two. You could try some hand expressing techniques to massage the area and help free the milk from that area too.

Take some paracetamol to help with the pain and inflammation too.

(Mrs J has put some super info on for hand expressing here Expressing - anyone not doing it/stopped doing it?)

Michelle

Saturday, April 18th 2009, 11:55am

Thanks Bells. Dont think it's anything to do with the bra so will try a different position today and see if that helps.
Should i offer her the painful breast more to try and get her to drain it properly do you think? (After taking some paracetamol of course!) I made the mistake of making her take the 'good' one last one because of the pain but it sounds like that's the worst thng to do :rolleyes:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, April 18th 2009, 12:47pm

Yeah, it's simple plumbing really. The duct's full and not draining well, the inflammation is squeezing it causing you pain and if you don't get the milk flowing better it's going to get worse.

Take your painkillers 20-30 minutes before if you can and then feed from the sore breast as much as you can.

Any breast discomfort is usually helped by feeding more although it's the last thing you feel like doing unfortunately. Those hand expressing techniques will also help before you feed, just massaging the breast can increase flow significantly.

k377y

UNREGISTERED

• "k377y" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 24th 2008

Tuesday, April 21st 2009, 5:39pm

I had this type of symptom when I was BF.....what really helped me was to do a sort of press-up over the top of baby and feed for as long as you can in that position. It helps the milk to drain out assisted by gravity a little more evenly. Worth a shot xx

Michelle

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 8:06pm

Cheers for the advice. it's feeling loads better, i did some massaging and tried following those instructions (the ones in the links Mrs J gave) for hand expressing but i'm pretty useless at it! They tried showing me how to do it when i was in hospital but i just couldn't get the hang of it.
The massaging along with lots of feeding from sore boob and pumping did the trick.
My problem is now is that my 'let down' has been soooo slow for some reason X(
Got some rescue remedy today to see if it helps and got the details of a local breastfeeding group that i'm off to!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE