You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sa-Leanne" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 5:30pm

What do i need to pack for babies

Hello, I have pre eclampsia and have been told that i will be delivered within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

My babies will be premature and be in special care at brighton.

I know for a normal hospital bag you need blankets and nappies and bibs etc etc etc but what do i need to take for early babies.

I am guessing that they wont be in clothes and certainly wont need coming home outfits for now.

What do i need to pack and do i need to pack my breast pump ready for expressing for them?

Can anyone help and advise please?
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 5:36pm

Hiya, Hun
For the most part they will need stacks of nappies - 4-8 each per day. Check with the unit if you should bring a blanket of your own in for cuddle time or if they prefer to use their own. Also check with the unit if they have a breast pump for you to use (hosi breast pumps are often more effective than the home variety) but pack your own just in case.
I would pack in enough nappies for the first few days but lay in a large supply at home. If you will be boarding at the hospital while they are in, make sure your DH knows where they are so that he can bring them in as needed.

Good luck, Hun

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

• United Kingdom

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 5:39pm

Thank you rene

so is that all i need, just nappies for them?
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 5:50pm

Well it depends on the hospital too - you may want to phone them and ask what they supply as some will give you cottonwool and surgical spirits and some will ask you to provide your own.
As a rule the hosp will provide any beanies/clothing they need while in an incubator - often they will be in there with just a beanie and nappy on. Thereafter just bring things in as they are asked for...

I know there is a thread about this somewhere but I can't seem to find it just now... :P

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

• United Kingdom

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 6:02pm

ok thanks very much,

I guess in time i iwll be told what i need to bring, i just want to still be in control of something at the moment, sounds silly i know.

Thanks again
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 11:42pm

Hi! DD1 was premmie and she needed clothes - think it depends if they go in an open cot fairly quickly. If you google, there's loads of sites where you can buy tiny clothes, some of which accomodate the various wires/tubes they may need. Boots and Mothercare also do nice ranges.

I've put a link below for you (not FZ endorsed). Its a site for parents who have/have had babies in NICU/SCBU - you'll find really useful info here, and lots of support.

http://www.bliss.org.uk/

Take lots of change for parking at the hospital. Some hospitals give you a free pass if you have babies in NICU/SCBU, and in others you can sometimes buy a pass that will cover you to leave your car in the car park for as long as you want whilst your babies are in the unit - its worth asking as you'll probably be there a lot and the parking charges soon rack up.

Most units have breast pumps available I think, and both the units we were in had rooms where Mums could pump or take their babies to feed once they were able.

As you already know what unit your babies will be in, you could contact them and ask what facilities are available and what would they advise you to bring in. I'm sure someone would be happy to help answer any questions/queries you have.

Wishing you lots of luck.

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, May 25th 2009, 7:36pm

We took nothing for the babies as they were in scbu and they supplied everything the tiny tiny nappies and the Prem clothes, They told us not to bother with our own, to make use of theres and spend "our" time with the babies. This was such a help as they had quite bad reflux they were in 3 outfits a day each.
I would Check with the unit see what they say x x
Then at our 1st out patients appointment we took all the boys Prem vests & grows to the unit for them to have. xx Glad to see your all hanging on in there xx
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, May 25th 2009, 7:49pm

Sorry dont know what happened there the rest should read what I did take was
Nighties, Breast Pads, Feeding Bras, Sanitry towels, 2 bath towels,Wash bag,change for phone, Camera,music, book & Disposable knickers :innocent:, Oh and mineral water to drink :happy:
Breast pumps were also supplied on the unit & they stamped the car park ticket so parking was free.
x x

Have you seen this Thread it may have some ideas for you
Hospital Bag List
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "1xbaby pls" (May 25th 2009, 7:50pm)

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, May 30th 2009, 5:18am

I'd find out about clothing.

My hospital didnt provide any (I donated all of mine to the hospital afterwards).

I found with all the tubes and wires that ones that were button up down the front - rather than pulling over the head - were the best, and mothercare's range is very good there.

You may want to get your own breastpump - I would recommend the electronic Avent Double / Duo versions, and milk containers, and also bring a steriliser - those microwave bag ones are fab. The hospital may have all of that but I found it was nice to have something that was "mine" iykwim?

Take a diary (pen & paper) so you can write down your thoughts. I found that a great comfort.

Also I would take (expensive but worth it) fresh squeezed bitty orange juice as you may well need it. And a big tin of biscuits.

Are you going to try for natural birth? In which case you may be out sooner than your babies.

Good luck with it all - it is scary but it will work out ok.

• United Kingdom

Saturday, May 30th 2009, 9:36pm

Thank you girls you have all been a great help.

Sunshine I have kept a diary since just before we started ivf, i have written it so it is to my babies. thought it would be nice for them to read as adults so they realise just how muc we wanted them and what we went through to get them. soppy i know xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE