You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "ALI BIRD" started this thread

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 10:54pm

Waking for feed

Hey ladies, I'm sorry I don't get to post on here often these days but cannot believe how much such a small person takes up your time :happy:

I have a dilema with my bf routine. William is a fab baby and seems to take everything in his stride, he has been sleeping through from 8pn to 7pm since 9 weeks and seems to be doing well. On his last couple of weigh ins he has only gained about 3oz per week and the hv has asked me to wake him during the night for a feed. I have done this for a week but it seems to have really unsettled his routine and he is difficult to settle and waking earlier.

I will admit that having a full nights sleep is great and it is not for entirely unselfish reasons that I am asking this, but is it really necessary? He is happy and alert and is still above the 25 centile. He has also been suffering from a UTI for which we are due to see the pead on Friday, could this have anything to do with his slow weight gain?

Thanks, x

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:00am

I think you know the answer yourself. Your baby is eating well, sleeping well, is alert, happy and active. He's growing steadily and you're obviously feeding him enough during the day for him to sleep through the night.

Based on a chart invented to plot the growth of formula fed babies (which are often heavier due to the differences in breastmilk and formula) this woman is advising you to unsettle a baby who is already recovering from a urinary tract infection so that the dot on her chart moves up the page.

I'd ask her if she can get hold of a breastfed baby chart in the first instance, secondly you know if your baby is healthy and well, I hardly think you're going to starve him regardless of what her chart says!!

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:28am

Thanks Bells, my thaughts exactly. The chart is actually and bf chart but he is still well within the limits. I am going to weigh in tomorrow after waking him for a 11pm feed for a week and see what it says, as long as he is gaining and not falling, then I am happy to carry on as before.

Thanks for the reassurance, I just didn't want to deprive W of milk if he needed it. I was also worrying about my milk supply diminishing as I don't feel as full when I wake in the morning but there still seems to be plenty there during the day for him?

x

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:40am

I've got the opposite problem here and being told not to feed during the night even when my lo is screaming for one :rolleyes:
William is doing brilliantly going through the night - what a star! I wouldn't worry at all, he'll let you know if he's hungry.

Could you just send him round to teach Caitlin how to do it? :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:14pm

Hey Ali....was just saying on Michelle's thread about Mason being a guzzler, but Harri was more like William, in that he started sleeping through from 10 weeks and was happy to take all his milk during the day. I actually asked my HV if I should have been waking him in the night and she said 'why would you do that....he will soon let you know if he's hungry' and so he did when he had a week or 2 at around 16w of waking 1x in the night. We started weaning him at about 18/19w, as advice was from 16w then, and he went back to his regular sleep pattern. He has always been a bit more petite than Mason, but still a good size so didn't seem to suffer any ill effects from not feeding all night. If William is happy to sleep all night, then I would, personally, be happy to let him :happy:
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:14pm

Michelle, I have just read the thread you started re Cs feeding and again I think the hv is relying too much on the chart. They are all different with different demands, after all isn't that what 'demand feeding' is all about?

Good luck sweetie, x

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:27pm

We have a similar 'problem' to you Ali, but without the benefit of her sleeping through any longer which came to an abrupt end two weeks ago. I've been told not to feed more frequently than every 3 hours in the daytime to make sure that she is properly hungry and thus gets to the hindmilk. She's put on an average of 2lbs a week for the last three weeks and has just dropped under the 2nd centile, so it seems to me, with Williams infection as well, he's not doing too badly at all. :D

Let us know how you get on tomorrow

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 3:48pm

Ali i just wanted to reasurre you all the way along Mckenzi has been inbetween the 25th & 50th percentile lines for his weight since he was born never has it gone over or under, i was worried about this initally but my HV assured me that aslong as its steady and sticking to roughly the same line its fine , if it shot up drasticlly or down drasticlly them im guessing they would think this was a worry... Sounds to be like William is doing just fine

hope his better soon Ali

xxx
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE