You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "sarah1972" started this thread

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: on way :)

Monday, June 15th 2009, 8:30pm

bit worried

Hello,
was hoping for some advice, my daughter (can't believe i can finally write that!) is 2 weeks old on Wednesday, after a tricky start with the breast feeding (cracked bleeding nipples) i have the latch on sussed and she seems to be taking it well. however the midwife is concerned that she's not putting on enough weight and that the contents of her nappy (sorry if TMI) is still a greeny colour instead of yellow.
I've been told to express after every feed which i've been doing for the last week, getting between 60/80ml each time so am topping her up with a bottle of expressed after every feed. She seems to take it well and appears happy, alert and is sleeping well.
Her weight at birth was 8lb9oz, she dropped to 8lb4oz (day 4) then 7lb15oz and today was 8lb3oz
I've still got to express until friday when she will be weighed again.

I'm just worried that she is not getting enough from me at each feed, the midwife said if she was getting enough she wouldn't take the bottle, i feel like i'm constantly feeding or expressing, my DH is wanting us to go out and i feel better near home as the whole feed cycle is taking the best part of 2 hours.

does 60/80ml seem ok for expressed? and does that mean she is getting double that at each feed?

sorry for the long post, just dreading they will say i have to supplement with formula, i so wanted to breastfeed and am getting myself worked up about it now

thanks for any advice
Sarah x

36 yrs
1 yr clomid
ICSI July 06 - BFP, m/c 5 weeks
FET March 07 - BFN
ICSI July 07 - BFN
IVF Nov 07 - BFP, m/c 5 weeks
ICSI April 08 - BFP, m/c 5 weeks
ICSI Sept 08 with steroids - BFP, saw heartbeat at 5 weeks!
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Monday, June 15th 2009, 8:59pm

Hi Sarah

What a lovely name btw :snigger:

My DD didn't regain her birthweight until 2 weeks, and she was a lot smaller than ur DD as she was 4 weeks early with jaundice, so your lo has still got time yet. It is normal for babies to lose up to 10%, which without doing maths, I think ur DD is within?

In terms of the expressing, I never really expressed in the early days, but it sounds like a decent amount. I think what she 'may' be doing is getting you to express the hindmilk, so the calorie rich milk. if so, it could be that she suspects DD is taking too much foremilk hence the green poo.

All I can tell you is from my experience but bf'ing in the early days does 'seem' to be more or less constant. It's new to you, it's new to ur DD and takes a while to get the hang of it. Do you have a local bf group you can go to or contact la leche for any advice?

Anyway, I'm sure someone that doesn't waffle will be along with some help

Good luck

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, June 15th 2009, 9:17pm

I wish I had time to give you the reply that I want to write but I have to dash off in a mo.

Just to say that weight loss is totally normal because babies are waterlogged in the womb. Your baby has lost weight but is gaining again so you are certainly doing well with the breastfeeding. I would not blink at your baby's weight loss and would indeed be pleased at how it's picking up. Expressing and feeding from a bottle is all very well but at the end of the day your baby is only getting what you're making, nothing more... and so the fact that it's coming out of a bottle rather than a breast would beg the question 'what's the point of expressing?'. Your midwife sounds a bit neurotic, it might be worth asking if she's ever breastfed herself, some are not experts in breastfeeding...!

Twelve days is absolutely nothing in breastfeeding terms, your milk isn't even established yet and the best best best way to establish it is to feed feed feed .. which you're doing, well done!! Not wanting to go out yet is also perfectly normal. Breastfeeding is an art not a science and I bet 95% of women feel the same as you do after only 12 days feeding.

Don't lose faith in yourself because you ARE breastfeeding and doing well. I'll be back tomorrow for some more of the same!!!

x

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, June 15th 2009, 9:31pm

Hi Sarah

We have slow weight gain worry and as well as taking advice from the lovely ladies on here I have also taken some from La Leche League. One of their b/f counsellors told me that indications that a baby is getting enough milk are:

* an initial weight loss of no more than 10%
* regaining birthweight by the age of three weeks
* a subsequent weight gain measured from the lowest weight of 4-6oz(113-170gms ) per week six wet nappies per day
* 3-4 bowel movements a day which are at least the size of a 10p piece

In terms of the green poo I wondered if you are on any medication? We had a green poo issue early on which I'm pretty certain was caused by me being on antibiotics and iron tablets.

If I were you I'd be tempted not to express but to lengthen the feed itself. Is she actively coming away/falling asleep before you offer her the bottle? Could you try ditching the expressing for a while (or perhaps just storing it but not offering it at every feed) and increasing the number/duration of feeds?

If she's now gaining weight then I reckon you're doing really well. You don't have to give formula if you don't want to.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, June 15th 2009, 9:39pm

Me again :D

Just re-read through the emails I had from LLL and I thought this might be useful for you as well (although some is more applicable to an older baby):

"The only reason for adding in formula is if a baby medically NEEDS more milk but there is no more breastmilk available. Offering expressed breastmilk in addition to feeds may be an acceptable alternative if more milk is needed. One check you could do yourself is to express some milk and offer it to baby after she has finished feeding at the breast. If she takes the milk then it may be that you could persevere for longer in persuading to feed more from you. Is she becoming easily distracted? Might feeding in a darkened room sometimes keep her focussed for longer? Occasionally babies who become used to taking milk from a bottle or sucking on artificial dummies get to prefer not to breastfeed but take milk in a way that means they can see what is happening as they feed. This can be tricky in keeping them focussed on breastfeeding."

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, June 15th 2009, 9:48pm

Hi Sarah, I agree with the others, your baby is gaining weight quite nicely.How often is she breastfeeding? And does she feed from one breast until she comes off/falls asleep, or are you "swapping breasts" during a feed? I don't know why she needs to have EBM top up-was she jaundiced and therefore very sleepy and unable to stay at the breast until she had a full feed? It takes at least 3 weeks to establish breastfeeding. I'm amazed that you can express so much already--there's certainly nothing wrong with your supply!!! Some HVs are reluctant to leave things to nature.
Keep up the good work-you're doing a great job!!
Chris

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fi'smum" (Jun 15th 2009, 9:49pm)

Tuesday, June 16th 2009, 10:06pm

Thanks everyone, thats helped SO much,
Bubble - i am on iron tablets and painkillers as i lost a lot of blood during delivery, hadn't thought that may be a reason for the poo issue!
Today i managed to express off at 3.30am then fed at 5.30, only expressed again once today so i have some for tonight at about midnight. I've breastfed longer at each feed and she's come off quite sleepy, i've then offered the other breast as a top up after about ten mins and being winded. She takes that too but to be honest i think she's using me for comfort too.
On thursday there is a breast feeding support group just around the corner so am going to go to that and see if they agree with what i'm doing. I do feel a lot better today, she does seem fine and has had good periods of sleep and wakefulness (without crying) today.
Her worst time is 9pm til midnight, can hear her crying with daddy now! I fed at 8.00 so am just hoping its not hunger making her so upset, can't bear her crying!!
thanks again for all the advice, here's hoping for another better day tomorrow
Sxx

36 yrs
1 yr clomid
FET March 07 - BFN
ICSI July 07 - BFN

[/url]

Tuesday, June 16th 2009, 10:07pm

PS - she's fed roughly every three hours today, she sleeps for longer at night (five hours last night) Should i have woken her earlier for a feed do you think?

36 yrs
1 yr clomid
FET March 07 - BFN
ICSI July 07 - BFN

[/url]

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Tuesday, June 16th 2009, 10:25pm

Hi Sarah - glad your feeling better today.

It's not unusual for babies to have a 'period' where they tend to be grumpier. It's also not unusual for babies to have periods when they feed on and off, I know my DD tended to do this up to bedtime and then sleep a bit longer on a night.

I wouldn't wake her on a night (I would make the most of it and get your head down!!)

The bf'ing groups are a good way to meet other mums too so have a nice time

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Wednesday, June 17th 2009, 9:51am

Thanks Philippa, just noticed your fab name for your daughter - duh!!! I think my brain is slowly engaging back into gear!
Last night was pretty much textbook - waking every 3.5 hours and i seemed to have more milk to satisfy her too so all in all, good start to the day. Really looking forward to the group tomorrow as well, just a bit daunting trying to be ready to get there for 10.30am!!
Thanks for reassuring me re her evening 'grumpiness' too - will just persist in offering her food, hopefully she's put on weight for the midwife visit on Friday, either way i feel more confident about saying what i WANT to do re feeding, surely its better that i stay sane and continue b'feeding rather than go mad with the expressing and end up with her on formula as i can't cope any more!
Thanks again
Sx

36 yrs
1 yr clomid
FET March 07 - BFN
ICSI July 07 - BFN

[/url]

verve19

United Kingdom

Monday, December 21st 2009, 1:47pm

Hello Sarah - how is everything going with you a Gabriella? Grace is 6 months old now she weighs 16 pound 1 ounce. I started her on solids last week. She hates veg and potatos!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE