You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 9:31pm

baby wants to feed every hour!

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 2 weeks. At first it went well and she was feeding every 2 and a half hrs - 3 hrs during the day and then longer at night. For the last week it has gone to feeding every hour during the day! i can feed at say 10 am until 10:30 and then she wants another feed at 11 am! so im feeding every half an hour and this is for most of the day. She is constantly hungry! Today we had an appointment to go to and she happened to be sleeping just before we went out so i expressed so i could feed her with no trouble when out and could only manage to get half a feed after a long time of trying. Does this mean she isn't getting enough per feed from me? I have put her on the bottle since 1pm today and she has gone 3 hrs between feeds and been so much more contented when awake but i feel so guilty an so desperately wanted to breastfeed. Has the fact i fed her bottles today ruined m chance to successfully breastfeed. If breast milk is produced on a supply and demand basis, why is my baby not satisfied each feed?
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 9:59pm

Hi, Jen

If Lydia is weeing 6-8 times per day (not so easy to keep track of in disposable nappies unless you change for every wet) and appears generally well hydrated then it is unlikely that she is not getting enough milk from you.

several comments about your post
1) Babies go through phases when they want to feed more often - this is their way of making you produce more milk to meet their demand. First one comes at around 10 days, then around 6 weeks and so it goes on.
2) expressing is not as effective at stripping your breasts of milk as is a baby who is properly latched on
3) even though milk comes in at about 3 days, milk supply and breast feeding is not really established till about 2 weeks of age
4) a once of feed by bottle is not going to ruin your chances of breast feeding if it is something that you really want to do.
5) Check and double check that baby is properly latched on at each feed so that she can stimulate your breast correctly in order to improve your supply and in order to fill her tumy well. Also make sure that you burp her and then put her back to the breast (or at least offer it) as sometimes a wind makes them feel full but once they have gotten rid of said wind their tummies feel empty again so they want to feed again very soon after stopping the previous feed (Connor was a nigthmare to burp - a feed easily lasted over and hour because he had difficulty breaking the wind and as soon as he did he was back on the boob again - only if he had burped and remained asleep could I be sure he had had his fill and then he would sleep for 2-3 hours before he started looking for the boob again
6) make sure that you are eating well and staying well hydrated - this is very important especially in these early days. For the first few weeks of C's life I would drink each time he did and ended up taking in 3-4 litres of fluid each day

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 10:09pm

Hey Jen, Lydia isn't necessarily not satisfied at each feed. Some babies (my little monkey included) love to comfort feed in between feeds. It's a nightmare! It's sometimes useful to get out of the house in between feeds to try and break the cycle, so that she is good and hungry when she feeds next. This will also ensure she takes the hindmilk, and not just the foremilk, as that is what will fill her up. The foremilk is thin and watery, and quenches the thirst, the hindmilk is thicker and creamier, and contains all the nutrients.

The fact that you have given her some bottles won't make any difference, but try not to do it too often at this stage as very young babies can quickly learn that feeding from a bottle takes a lot less effort than breast feeding.

Also with expressing, you won't necessarily get out as much milk as your baby can. Even the best breast pumps aren't the same as the stimulation from a baby's mouth. Some women find it easy to get loads of milk out, I for one struggle to get out enough for a whole feed, and I can only get more than an ounce or two if I express first thing in the morning.

When Lydia reaches around 6 weeks, she may well have a growth spurt and want to feed more often. This will probably last a couple of days, but put her to the breast when she wants it as it will help your supply build up to her new requirements.

Hope you manage to get her more settled hun. If you want any more advice just PM me if you like. x
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 10:20pm

Gosh I remember this phase! Half an hour sat with her on the boob then half an hour running around the house while she slept, then back on for another half an hour and so on. It didnt' last very long but I remember feeling a bit like a mooing cow after a while - oh i could walk around feeding in the end and forgot and answered the door to the postman with her still latched on!

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 23rd 2009, 9:25am

Just to back up everyone's words here, there are a few paragraphs here that apply to you...

Breastfeeding Basics - What to Expect

Quoted

My Baby is Too Hungry!!

An innate urge to suck means that babies want to suck all the time. It’s comforting, keeps them warm, keeps them with their mother, keeps their food supply up, it’s comfortable, it feels, smells and tastes great. Why WOULDN’T your baby want to be on the breast all day?? Feeding every three to four hours isn't normal for a newborn, feeding constantly is. It isn’t a sign that your baby is too hungry, it isn’t a sign that you’re not making enough milk (if it is it quickly fixes itself) it’s not a sign that anything is wrong. It’s nature and it’s normal. The solution is to feed frequently to increase your supply. The more you feed the more milk your breasts will make. It takes anything for a day to a few days to increase a milk supply. Feeding less (topping up with formula) tells your body to produce less milk. After a few days things should begin to calm down.

Quoted

I tried to express and barely got anything out:

Ideally you would wait three months before even looking at a breastpump. Expressing milk isn’t as stimulating for your breast as suckling your baby so if you’re struggling to feed and decided to express to see what your milk production’s like, your findings will probably be inaccurate. Expressing is a poorer way of getting milk out, it doesn’t stimulate your breasts as well as feeding and if you can avoid it during the first four weeks then do.

Quoted

Why can’t I ‘top up’ with formula if I want to breastfeed?

Your body is finely tuned to produce exactly the precise quantity of milk your baby needs. Your milk is dynamic, changing volume and consistency as and when your baby needs it to. If you miss a feed your body will automatically alter the amount of milk it makes. If you miss several feeds you may find that your milk supply decreases. Your body produces its milk making hormone during the night, if you miss night feeds the impact on your milk supply will be greater.
Babies on bottles only need to suck lightly and consistently for a quick meal. A breastfed baby needs to work harder, his gums need to massage the breast and the milk comes out at some rate between gushing and seeping depending how long he’s been on the breast. The phrase ‘nipple confusion’ is more accurately described as ‘nipple frustration’ as your baby gets cross at the effort involved in breastfeeding.

The main reason you’ve been ‘warned’ of this method is because it’s often easier to give bottles and once this is discovered many women believe that the combination of less milk in her breasts, quicker and more convenient feeds, more time between feeds and more freedom is a sure fire pointer that formula milk suits her baby more than breastmilk. This is the reason that ‘topping up’ is often the first step towards cessation of breastfeeding.

Michelle

Tuesday, June 23rd 2009, 9:26am

Like Spider it's all very familiar to me too. Rene's advice is great, do check Lydia is properly latched on and if you're not sure try and get yourself to a breastfeeding group (your HV should be able to give you info on any local ones) for advice and support. Dont be afraid to ring your HV (or midwife if you've not yet been discharged) and ask for help.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Tuesday, June 30th 2009, 7:09pm

thanx for the great advice ladies. I feel so down about it all. I have tried so hard to breastfeed but am exhausted and so have resorted to bottles and i still do a couple of feeds myself but i feel so guilty and so sad. When i'd given her a bottle she seemed full and content and slept for a few hours whereas when i breastfeed her she'd feed then fall asleep for 20 mins and then wake up rooting and crying for more food (this was before i introduced bottles). I just hate that i cant do it and i think i've wrecked my chances now anyway because i've been rarely breastfeeding for the last week :( wow i didnt think it would be so tough and i didnt think i would give myself such a hard time for not breastfeeding.
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Michelle

Tuesday, June 30th 2009, 7:35pm

Awww :cuddle

I've been in exactly that situation Jen. I was all for giving up for a few days and was giving my dd bottles and then just expressing to make up as bottles as i could with ebm. I REALLY didn't think i could do it and was physically and emotionally exhausted. I felt guilty too and if it hadn't been for the support on here i would have driven myself crazy.

The most important thing is that both you and your baby are happy. Your dd will be perfectly fine however you feed her :smile:

If you do really want to continue breastfeeding then you haven't messed things up completely - honest! You must be happy with whatever you decide to do and perhaps like me, you just need a few days to rest and prepare yourself for tackling the situation?
As long as there's milk still coming, you can always increase your supply and as for getting your dd back on the breast - it's not going to be easy but can be done.

If you know you want to use bottles though and know you wont change your mind next week - go for it and dont look back. It's up to you.

Good luck
xx

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Tuesday, June 30th 2009, 9:12pm

My baby has been doing something similar and is cluster feeding because of a growth sprurt !! I must admit that it's knackering, I've also got mastitis which isn't helping :-(

Can someone tell me that breastfeeding does get easier ? And you get more sleep ? I'm dreading when DH goes back to work
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 30th 2009, 9:21pm

It is SO SO hard in the first few weeks but it does get easier. And you do get more sleep. I promise :smile:

Poor you with the mastitis though - hope that clears up soon.

x

ps, I'm not just saying all that ^^^ - it is true, it does get much easier :D

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 30th 2009, 9:35pm

Course it gets easier! You have milk hungry feeding machines that were born with an instinct to survive. Their instinct is to suck and this in turn makes you produce milk for them. The more they suck the more milk you produce and the better their chance of survival. Unfortunately Mother Nature disregarded the fact that this whole process leaves Mothers feeling more knackered than they have ever dreamed possible :rolleyes:

I think I could probably produce documentary evidence to support my suspicion that every single breastfeeding Mother on this site has at some point said "oh my God, it's so hard, I'm so tired... will it 'ever' get easier??!!" ..... and many of them are still breastfeeding now because it did get easier. You just have to take it hour my hour, feed by feed and day by day.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, July 1st 2009, 6:20pm

Yep - it gets easier. If it didn't I would not still be allowing C access to it - and he is 2 years 7 (and a bit) months old.
Agree that it is hard in the beginning though...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Wednesday, July 1st 2009, 7:01pm

Glad to hear that it does get easier ! :D
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE