You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 12:43pm

Sterilising in the dishwasher

Does anyone do this?

FFS, this is the 3rd time I have started this thread and each time, DD2 has woken up and demanded boob! How does she know?

Anyway, she's settled again! I am going to start expressing at aome point soon. I want to be able to leave DD2 with MIL/DH every now and again to spend time on my own with DD1 and do stuff like get my hair done etc.. also I want to start donating breastmilk (heard a program on the radio about prem babies the other day and it broke my heart). I was going down the traditional route of scrubbing and then soakign all the paraphenalia in milton but I have heard that you can sterilise in the dishwasher, and being a lazy bint, this appeals to me hugely! Ours has a 90C cycle which surely must be nearly as good as a steam steriliser. Also breastmilk has antibacterial properties so the risk of infection is lower anyway. If this is ok for my own baby, would it be suitable for donating to other babies who are prem so at increased risk? Any advice welcome.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 7:40pm

Ummm... Don't have a dishwasher but TBH I would not do this when bubs is still so young and def not for donating to preemies. By all means wash in dishwasher if the bottles and paraphanalia are dishwasher safe but I would still sterilise the stuff properly.
And I would prob still rinse out after dishwasher and before sterilising - but that may be just me...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 7:45pm

RE: Sterilising in the dishwasher

Mrs. J., I think the best plan would be to check with the unit where your milk would be going, as they will have their own rules on collection and storage of EBM. Top marks to you for thinking about donating, it does make such a difference to premature babies, as some of them end up with serious gut problems with formula. clap

Michelle

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 7:49pm

It is supposed to be ok to use the top rack of the dishwasher and you can buy baskets that are designed for popping baby's bits into to keep it seperate from everything else.
My dishwasher is rubbish though and i wouldn't trust it to do the job properly so i steam instead. I also worry that there might still be residue of the rinse aid etc left behind.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 8:57pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle
I also worry that there might still be residue of the rinse aid etc left behind.

Yeah not thought of that.

Rene, you're right on the UKAMB site (link in here Donating milk?) they recommend steam or cold water.

Fi's mum, I think its a shame bf mums aren't made more aware of it this sums up how I feel about it

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
... I realised that donating a bit of milk is a pretty easy thing to do when you have a pink, healthy, happy child by your side.

It's a miracle food that only we can provide. They can put a man on the moon but they can't replace good old boobjuice.

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Friday, June 26th 2009, 10:25am

Don't know about the dishwasher but just thought I'd say well done on the donating. I really wanted to do it as I have oodles of milk and would love to help other babies get a good start but unfortunately there isn't a bank within an hours drive of me :cross:
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, June 26th 2009, 12:08pm

Worth ringing them anyway Caz, some places collect or they might be able to put you in touch with other local mums who could collect it for you.

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, June 29th 2009, 11:56am

Mrs J I used the dishwasher to sterlise my twins bottles, breastfeeding pump etc from pratically day 1. I found it loads easier with having twins and having double the bottles etc. Someone bought me a brand new steam steriliser and I hardly used it. I used the Fairy dishwasher tablets and have had no problems whatsoever. Istill do my bottles that way now and tbh I find it gets them cleaner than the steriliser. I dont use rinse aid in it though. Hope this helps.
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE