You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 7:57pm

drinking her bottle really slow

...and yet another bottle feeding question from me :D

Lydia feeds every 3 hrs through the day and takes approx 4-5oz. At first she was taking ageeess to feed and falling asleep while feeding so i changed her teats to the number 2 teats which seemed to do the trick. She started finishing her bottles (which were full 5oz bottles) within 25 - 30 mins. After a couple of weeks of her doing this she is back to very slow feeding. She is taking over an hour! I only ever feed her for an hour max so often there is feed left and i then dont feed her until her nxt 3 hrly feed. I have tried giving her less but she cries for food early if she doesn't get at least 4oz so i am working hard to get her to take her full feed. i have also tried feeding her evry 4 hrs but she wont wait. Its not that she's falling asleep (although sometimes this is the problem) She just seems uninterested and seems to mess about. How can i get her to speed up. its frustrating because i know she can do it because she has done before and she seems to polish her night feed off quickly probably because she has waited a long time through the night but her day ones are sooo slow. Is an hour normal? Can i get her to speed up? x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 8:40pm

My two used to be like that. They did start to drink faster again after awhile thou. Don't know why they did this
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

Michelle

Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 9:35pm

If she drinks the night one quickly it really does sound like she's not hungry enough to finish the daytime ones?!
How much does she take in say 20 minutes? If she's taking the first 2oz in 20 mins and then taking 40 mins for the next 2oz then she probably doesn't really need it.

I would try stopping feeding her when she loses interest. I'm only guessing but i'd say it would be less stressful for you to feed her every two and a half hours for 20 mins rather an hour every three to four hours.
At 7 weeks her tummy is still quite small and although the formula packaging suggests that a baby of this age should be taking 5oz, 5 times a day, smaller but more frequent feeds are better for some babies.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 10:41pm

Have you tried the 3 flow???
its trail and error really it may work it may be too fast. My 2 were on the 3's by 2 mths old. :smile:
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 11:14pm

My 2 went through the teats really quickly. Maybe try a 3 or a vari flow?

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 8:17am

thanks for the great advice girlies.

Michelle I did her first feed at 7am this morning (the one before that was 2am so u'd think she'd be really huingry!) I tried stopping her after 40 mins and she'd had 3oz. I then winded her, changed her nappy and dressed her and she was then crying for food again so it's as though she is hungry but she's just gotten used to feeding really slow.

1xbaby - I have 3 flow teats in the house so i will try one on her next feed

Jodie - what are vari flow teats?

cheers x

Michelle

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 9:09am

Quoted

Originally posted by jen84288
Michelle I did her first feed at 7am this morning (the one before that was 2am so u'd think she'd be really huingry!) I tried stopping her after 40 mins and she'd had 3oz. I then winded her, changed her nappy and dressed her and she was then crying for food again so it's as though she is hungry but she's just gotten used to feeding really slow.

That sounds exhausting. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon, or maybe new teats will help.

Variflow are teats that are cut differently so that the baby has more control over the speed that the milk comes out. Might be worth a try hey!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 9:15am

Hi sorry to gatecarash this but I sometimes struggle to get Isobel to have 5ozs, because she's not a massive weight (11lb at 11wks) I worry if she doesn't want to finish her milk. Sometimes it can be due to falling asleep (I wind her halfway through a feed and then she nods off!) but other times she squishes the teat back out of her mouth and that tells me she doesn't want any more.

I am going to try and maybe 3-4oz every 2 1/2 hours and see what happens.

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 9:22am

We're having the exact same issues with Thomas, these little pickles are certainly keeping us on our toes. He was a monster feeder to start with on the breast but now with the bottle he only takes about 3oz and is then batting it away, pushing the teat out etc. I have tried variflow but not going up to a 3. Will give that a go!

Not much help I'm afraid Jen, but rest assured you are not alone!
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 7:31pm

aw thanks girls.

I tried a number 3 teat today and it seemed to do the trick - she finished her 5oz in half an hour! But im afraid this is what happened last time when i switched to number 2 teats. She was feeding fast for about a week and then really slowed down. I believe she is hungry (or certainly not full) but just likes to take her time. I think that we will have a week of fast feeding and then she'll sus what im upto and learn how to slow it down again :snigger: Im constantly getting her to take more feed by tickling her foot or her cheek everytime she stops sucking. I think she just likes to take her time. I was afraid i was feeding her when she was not hungry but this morning she certainly let me know she wasnt finished after id given her 3oz and then changed her nappy and dressed her lol Does 4 - 5 oz every 3 hrs in the day sound right to you girls? She is about 12lbs (almost 8 weeks old)

if anyone comes up with a solution - let me know! x

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Thursday, July 30th 2009, 7:56pm

HUn
Not sure what she *should* be taking. We used to go from the guidelines on the box of milk. Anything approximately around what they said was *normal* we were happy with give or take an ounce or two.

Although most days were off the scaleoz wise and others nowhere near what they said. As long as your LO are happy healthy and feeding well they'll take what they need.

So much easier when they're nearly 2 and know how to say More and Finished !!

:snigger:

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE