You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 11:39am

some much needed advice please! (baby wont take her milk)

hi,

Lydia was always a very hungry baby feeding 5 - 6 oz every 3 hrs of hungry baby milk. For the last week she has not fed well at all. She is taking half the amount of what she used to! She has been dribbling alot so i thought she might be teething so i tried bonjela before one of her feeds and it helped a little. Dont know whether it just acted as a distraction of some sort. Before all thisa, about a week ago the health visitor suggested changing back to number 1 milk (rather than hungry baby) as her eating had slowed a little. But this is when she started feeding considerably less. She has been sick a little more after feeds and she seems to cry for milk and then start her feed and then cry alot after a minute or so. I will feed her hungry baby milk on the next feed and see what happens. Anyone any advice? Just scared she'll start losing weight x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 9:45pm

RE: some much needed advice please! (baby wont take her milk)

Hi Jen, I think your HV is right - 2 months is a bit young for No. 2 milk, which is casein rather than whey dominant (casein is a protein in cow's milk which babies can't digest properly, and it can sometimes cause a sore tummy) If she has a sore tummy it will make her not want to feed. You could try giving her some cooled boiled water (she won't like the taste of it at first, but it might help, and if she has an upset stomach, it m
eans she's still getting fluid, which is important)
No. 1 milk, which is whey dominant is much easier to digest, so less likely to give problems.
If she's not taking any fluids at all by tomorrow, it might be wise to see your GP, as babies can get dehydrated quite quickly.
Hope this helps.

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Thursday, September 3rd 2009, 8:47am

Hi Jen,

We had a few similar issues. From all the advice I got there are a huge number of reasons why they can go off their milk from brewing for a cold to just not being hungry for a few days. When Thomas' hunger dropped whilst still partly on the breast it turned out to be that his cradle cap had got infected and that was effecting his appetite, (it didn't flare up visibly till a couple of days after I noticed the drop in milk intake).

Once we switched to bottles we then experienced many of the symptoms you describe. He'd go for the bottle, drink an oz or so and then cry. Somebody suggested it might be frustration as the milk was coming out too slowly so we went up a teat size and it really helped.

The HV would always say if he's healthy and happy then there is probably nothing serious wrong but I know that doesn't stop you being anxious. Keep asking HV and if you are worried there's nothing wrong with going to your gp for a bit of peace of mind in my book.

Don't you think these are all the sorts of things they should write about in baby books rather than half the twaddle you do read??
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Friday, September 4th 2009, 7:57pm

thanks ladies.

fis mum - she has been on number 2 for ages, it was when i switched back she seemed to have issues. She seems a little better now and im not sure whether she has been picking up on my stress. You kindly replied to my other post on my MIL issues lol and it has been stressing me out lately. I am spending a week at my parents and she is feeding much better. I didnt want to keep her on hungry baby. The hv didnt have a problem with it, it was more me who suggested her eating had slowed so perhaps a change might be best but she just started feeding alot less. Thanx for ur advice.

caz - oh they do make us worry dont they. I will get L weighed on wednesday and see what happens. Funny enough though, i tried a 3 - 6 mths sleep suit on her 3 days ago as 0 - 3 is getting a bit small. I put the same sleep suit on her tonight and she has really filled it out so i guess she must have grown.
x

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 9:55am

so worried because my baby wont take her milk!

Im really worried about L. She is completely off her milk. She was taking about 32 ozs a day of hungry baby milk until 2 weeks ago. She started taking alot less. I switched her back to number 1 milk as she was no longer a "hungry" baby but had been on hungry baby for about 7 weeks. She does appear to be teething but i thought that hunger would win out. I try teething powder/calpol/bonjela before feeds and it improves slightly but she is now only taking about 18oz a day!! i stupidly tried her with some baby rice the other day (she's almost 14 wks) because i was so worried she was not getting enough milk. Her milk intake was then even lower, but she loved eating the rice from the spoon and ate well. I realise she is too young for babyrice and seeing as she was just subsituting the milk she was taking for babyrice i stopped the baby rice after 3 days (i was feeding her rice once a day and the rest were 2 - 3 oz bottles instead of her usual 6 -7 oz). I was so worried last night that i called nhs direct and took her up to see a dr. He checked her over and everything appeared fine. Her weight at the last visit was ok - she hadnt increased much but i was feeding her baby rice prior to this. Now i have stopped i am worried that she will lose weight now. why do you think this is? I am so concerned. I feed her about an ounce and then she struggles and cries. I wind her but she just doesnt want to feed. Inbetween feeds she seems ok. I just think its pretty drastic to drop her calories by half! surely she will lose weight because of this. do you think the hungry baby milk has done damage?

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 11:12am

Hi Jen - is she constipated?? Hungry baby milk and baby rice can cause this??

x

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

Saturday, September 12th 2009, 2:34pm

rae, no not constipated. she is having regular bowel movements just as normal. She was on hungry baby milk for a while and has always been fine with it but i only switched because she was no longer a hungry baby - i just get so worried and just feel like the dr is just dismissing it. i know they dont always have an answer but i just feel as though it must be something thats stopping her from feeding. I think its just bizare bec ause she's always been a really good feeder. She's just eratic and jerky when feeding which makes me think wind but i have tried every brand for her wind and she is bringing wind up.

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 9:42am

Hi Jen

If she was happy on hb milk then I think I would change her back if she's been upset since the change.

x

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

verve19

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 13th 2009, 11:23am

Hello Jen
You sound like me! I was so worried about missy moo's feeds. I spoke to a doctor and HV and they both said to leave longer between feeds. She is not taking the amount she should but it is not a struggle and she is taking something and she did gain weight 2 weeks ago when i got her weighed.
I leave 5 hours between each feeds and i only give her four bottles.
I offer her 7 ounces on the first 3 feeds, the first bottle is between 630 - 7am and the last bottle she will have 4 ounces. I was feeding her all the time and the HV said because she is not a greedy baby i was only ever topping her up because she takes so long to feed, since leaving 5 hours she take 7 ounces in about 40 minutes and I am less stressed. She still weighs less than your little lady Grace was 12.2 on 1st sept.
It can be very sressful, I hope you find something that suits. she might well be teething, Grace will drench her tops everyday so i think something is on its way!
GOODLUCK
Linda

Monday, September 14th 2009, 9:10am

thanks ladies,

These babies do make us worry. L has been a little better yday and so far today. I have started doing baby massage with her at home twice a day and she seems to be feeding less erratically and taking a bit more. She has also started sleeping from 7pm until 6 am which is fantastic and i guess if she was hungry she would wake for a feed. I will get her weighed on wednesday just to check all is ok. If her feeding gets worse i will try going longer between feeds like you said verve. Rae- she started being funny a little before i switched her milk and i switched her because she was not so hungry but im willing to try everything if her feeding does start to get worse. thanks for your advice! x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE