You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ginger74

Superstar

• "Ginger74" started this thread
  • Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 4:34pm

Breastfeeding and topping up with a formula?

Sorry in advance for a long post but I need advice as I am puzzled/worried re my feeding situation. :sadface: :rolleyes:

DD was born thro c-section at 37wks4days and was 2810 gramms. The hospital was extremely encouraging re breast feeding but I had nothing for first three/four days so they suggested to give her some formula to prevent dehydrating and basically give her some food/to "make her stronger" to take breast as she was considered "a small baby". The situation with breast milk has improved since then but this is our feeding regime at the moment:

I can breastfeed my DD for hours (2-3) day and night, there is a milk (at least at first), I see it on her face and inside of "nipple" (I need to explain here that due to my "flat nipples" I have to use "silicon nipple shields" so it's easier for her to pick it up). Now (it was SOOOO different first days) thanks to God most of the time we don't have a problem with latching on so she is happily sucking BUT..............

after these few hours I have to give her a formula as seems that only this can make her settled/not crying/asleep/not hungry (she makes all signals as she is) and she very happily (!!!) would finish it/100ml etc at the moment.

I feel extremely (!!!) guilty and sad giving her a formula as obviously I want only the best for my DD. We went to see pediatrician the other day (because of another reason) and he said that she looks fine/healthy, also she is putting weight very well so seems I do at least something right... here I have to add that generally she is very calm, happy and very cute baby.

My thoughts are: OR I can't provide her (hopefully at the moment) with enough milk that is why she is still hungry after few hours of breastfeeding OR she is getting too tired to breastfeed after such long time and this may improve later/when she is bigger, stronger. I do my best to improve my milk supply (drink some fenugreek tea, milk etc).

Can you give me any advice? Is this situation normal? Do you think there is chance it will improve/I will be able to give DD only my milk? What do I do wrong? What can I do?
Thank you so much in advance for your help, it's extremely appreciated.

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 4:46pm

Hi

Bells has a stinky cold at the moment but I am sure will me on soon, in the meantime have a read through of the great advice on here and I will pop a note in the staff room to get someone to come over as soon as they are online

x

Have been advised to top up, any advice ??

Topping up?!

Expressing

BREASTFEEDING - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 5:19pm

Hey Ginger

How are you my lovely! Bells will have lots more info I'm sure but from my experience I had to do the very same thing with my boys. I too felt very guilty but they were just never quite satisfied. To begin with I topped them up after every feed and eventually I moved on to breastfeeding for all each feed except for the 6 o'clock feed which seemed to be when my reserves were low and when I needed them to settle most and so I used formula then. After a little while I was able to drop the formula at this feed and breast feed exclusively and so it defo can be done.

My two definatley got more efficient at feeding the bigger they got!

Please don't feel bad about it, you have done a stirling job so far and if your baby is thriving and putting on weight you must be doing everything right! You have to do what is right for you and your baby and so go with it!
x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 5:48pm

Hey Ginger my lovely, sorry to hear you are feeling a bit worried!

First of all you aren't the only one to have this problem, and it's certainly nothing to do with anything you're doing. I too have had the flat nipples problem and breast shields certainly helped in the early days. Now though, after 6 months of breast feeding, I now have nipples like organ stops, which you could safely hang your coat on!

One of the things about breast shields is that the baby doesn't have the contact with your breast directly and so doesn't stimulate the breast as much to produce milk. This may be part of the problem with your supply. Have you tried latching bambina on without the shield? I found with Lochlan that he sucks the areola (the area around the nipple) into his mouth quite happily, and thus pulls the nipple out with his suction. You don't necessarily need to have a 'nipple shaped' nipple for baby to feed successfully.

You can also buy a device which you apply to the nipple before feeding to 'pop' your nipple out. This may be worth a try too.

http://www.mothercare.com/Avent-AVENT-tw…554031&mcb=core

This device is very effective and may provide you with a permanent improvement.

Don't forget, when feeding your baby you don't 'nipple feed' you 'breast feed'. The nipple is merely the part of your breast where the milk exits. It's actually from the surrounding area that the baby draws the milk from.

I would suggest first of all that you try to feed without the breast shields as I think you will see an improvement in your milk supply over a few days. Don't feel bad about topping up with formula, although do remember that your body is still in the very early days of producing milk for your baby, and if you miss a feed by giving a bottle instead then your body just won't provide milk for that feed. Always start a feeding session on the breast, but don't battle on with it for hours on end as you will both become frustrated. You could also try cup feeding your baby to prevent her from becoming too attached to an artificial teat. Pumping with a breast pump in between feeds will stimulate your supply, and any milk you extract could be stored and given to your baby instead of formula for when she needs a top up. The breast pump can also help to draw out your nipple as well, so you may get a double benefit from it.

Above all, make sure you are drinking plenty and eating well. You need a good 700 calories a day above what you need normally, (I aim for 1000 extra, and I am still losing weight! Thats a hell of a lot of cake!! :snigger: )

Your milk supply will settle down eventually. Usually at around 6 weeks your breasts start to provide exactly what baby needs at each feed.

I understand how worried you are though hun, as I went through it all with Lochlan. All the guilt of giving him a formula top up, worrying that it would effect me so badly that I would have to give up feeding etc. But here we are at gone 6 months, and I am still happliy breast feeding him, with plenty of milk on board! All those early problems were so huge to me at the time, but they are all surmountable, and with a little support you can get through this and happily and successfully breastfeed your little angel.

Hope this helps hunny! xxx
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Friday, October 16th 2009, 9:06am

Thank you!

First of all I would like to thank you ladies Eeyore, Indiechick and Mrs Smiff, your help and support are extremely appreciated. Thank you so much!

I have to confess I feel very down about the whole "feeding situation". As some of you know during my pregnancy I was worried about million and one thing but not at all re breastfeeding naively thinking it will all come naturally - how wrong I was!!! My baby is less than a month and I am already failing as a mother... :bawl:

I have to say to manage to breastfeed at all/baby is latching on even using nipple shields was SUCH achievement (even now to change from one breast to another can be such challenge) so to try and do it without nipple shields seems as coming back to that zero stage. I tried it and she has no idea what to do and gets very irritated and I get quite upset.

Anyway I am not giving up and will continue to try... Thank you so much again for your help. I will keep you posted!

Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, October 16th 2009, 9:35am

Ginger - i had rather flat nipples when I started to breast feed and had sore and cracked nipples as C just could not latch on properly.
Then I realised that I could use a nipple shield but knew that using it all the time might interfere with milk production. I used to put the nipple shield on and let C suck for a minute or so to draw the nipple out and then take him off, remove the shield and then pop him back on so that I would have the correct nipple stimulation during the rest of the feed. I did this for a few weeks and then no longer needed the shield as C learned to draw the nipple out without the shield. It worked for me but I know that it doesn't work for everyone.
As you can see my monster still has a suckle today and he will be 3 (years old) next month
Good luck, sweet heart
And you are not failing as a mother! Breast feeding is not easy but it can be wonderful once both you and your little one have learned how to feed...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Indiechick

Superstar

Friday, October 16th 2009, 3:52pm

Ginger hunni you are by no means failing as a mother. I had all these images about bonding with my babies by breastfeeding and how lovely and serene it would all be but the reality was very vrey different. I cried every day, winced in pain, felt totally exhausted and thought about giving up every single day. It has been the biggest challenge I have ever had to face in my life but I can honestly say it DOES get better!!!

Right now little Ginger is tiny, it's new to her and new to you and your both finding your way. The fact that your topping her up with formula by no means equals faliure!!!! Do you have any local breast feding clinics?

One of mine had problems latching on and I was advised by the breastfeeding clinic to sit on the sofa with my bum on the edge and leaning my shoulders back against the back bit, get you (top half) and baby naked and then place baby on your chest. If you want to feed on the right put babies left arm under your boob and then let her find the nipple. This will sound crazy and I was amazed but your little mite will shuffle and snuffle and wiggle her way down to your nipple and latch herself on. This took the stress and pain out of feeding and my little man knew exactly what to do so it might be worth a try?

Anyway I'm off to find Bells as she is much better at this than me.

But for know give yourself a bloody big pat on the back you are doing a great job missus and are NOT failing! Sending you hugs and kisses!

x

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Friday, October 16th 2009, 4:06pm

Oh Ginger hunny you are NOT failing as a mother! Breast feeding can be damn hard, and it isn't something that comes to naturally to most of us these days I'm afraid. I had loads of problems early on with L, pain like you wouldn't believe, then low milk supply, back ache and on and on. I used nipple shields to get around the pain problem early on. Rene's idea was a good one, to let little one start off her feed with the shields, then try removing it for the last part of the feed. I was also thinking about it last night, try and have a feed with her in a nice warm bath. The warmth helps the let down reflex, the skin to skin contact is soothing too. Might be worth a try.

Please don't feel like you are the only one struggling with this sweetie. I wish I was there to come and give you a helping hand! xx
I have 4 lovely big kids

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Friday, October 16th 2009, 4:16pm

oh thank you lovely ladies :hugs: will print this thread and will do my best to do everything you advised! thank you so much :O

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, October 16th 2009, 5:04pm

Ginger, I haven't replied up until now because the ladies here have already said everything that I would've said.

Breastfeeding very rarely comes naturally instantly. It's very rarely plain sailing and lots (probably the majority) of women feel completely at a loss at some point. I don't know a successful breastfeeder who hasn't sat, at some point, with leaking breasts, a crying baby and tears running silently down her face (usually there's a meal going cold in front of her too)

Just keep in mind that the more you feed, the more your body will get the signal to produce more milk. That whole process takes a few days so a period of frantic feeding doesn't mean that anything bad is happening, it's just natures way of keeping you with your baby, keeping you feeding and keeping up your milk supply.

Be kind to yourself Ginger. This part of parenting is really really hard. It will never be 'this hard' again so take heart, forgive yourself for whatever decisions you made to make these past weeks bearable and look to the future. Remember that babies are born to suck, it's all they enjoy when they're brand new and a constant need to suck doesn't mean that your baby isn't getting enough.

You're doing good!

Indiechick

Superstar

Friday, October 16th 2009, 5:13pm

Bells - how right, the amount of times I was crying with my dinner loving prepared by DH going cold and the babies still screaming!

Ginger - like Bells says, to begin with they do like to suck and suck and suck and it can seem endless and each feed can take forever but there is light at the end of the tunnel before you know it she'll be done and dusted in 10 mins!

xxx

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Friday, October 16th 2009, 6:23pm

I thought I was destined only to ever eat cold food again! And I used to feel so angry that while I was trying and trying to get L fed, everyone else was sat at the table enjoying their meal in peace and quiet. The emotions run wild in these early days I can tell you, but as Bells said, you will never feel this bad again. You will get through these early hurdles and things will get easier every single day.

Just one more tip :P When you take the breast shield off to try and get little one to latch onto you, make sure there's loads of breast milk on and around your nipple as that is what will entice her to come and suck. Good luck hun, and remember, I'm just a phone call away. :happy: xx
I have 4 lovely big kids

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 5:17am

Update

Well kind of...
In last two weeks we saw both: MW and pediatrician. They were very relaxed about my situation/BF and topping up with formula. MW was saying (to my mind) very strange things: "she is very small, her mouth is small so it's difficult for her to latch on etc"... I try to BF without nipple shields but without any success ( :shush: please don't tell anybody but I hate them... X( ), DD only gets upset and has no idea what to do (I even asked pediatrician to check if she has tongue tie - fortunately not), the situation honestly breaks my heart, just had a big cry about it... :bawl:

On a positive note: DD is putting weight very well and thanks to God healthy and happy child.
Will keep trying........... thank you very much again for your support.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 12:52am

RE: Update

Hi Ginger- have you tried Rene's suggestion to latch dd on using nipple shield, and when she's been sucking for a few minutes and you hear her swallowing take her off, take away the shield and she should be able to latch on - the nipple will be drawn out and your breast easier to shape because the area just behind the nipple will be softer. Flat nipples do not mean that your baby won't be able to breastfeed properly - it's just a bit more difficult to start with, and takes a bit longer to establish. Try to aim for shorter, more frequent feeds, and this should help boost your milk supply.Once you're managing this you can start reducing the amount of formula you give. Hope this helps, and well done for not giving up!!

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 6:17am

RE: Update

Quoted

Originally posted by Fi'smum
have you tried Rene's suggestion to latch dd on using nipple shield, and when she's been sucking for a few minutes and you hear her swallowing take her off, take away the shield and she should be able to latch on...

yes I did :sadface: but DD doesn't even "take a breast" - we are so far from proper latching on, she is moving face around the nipple and... starts to cry...
thank you Fi'smum, will keep trying :hugs:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 9:26am

Ginger, well done you for persevering!

When you offer your baby the breast are you using your hand to guide the nipple into her mouth or are you holding your body/breast up to her face and waiting for her to latch on?

If it's the latter then can I suggest that you use either the scissor technique or the finger/thumb/pinch technigue. Which you use depends on how you hold your baby and which you find most comfortable. The aim is to make the breast flat so that it lines up to the baby's mouth.... it's tricky to explain *goes off to search for my old posts* lots of people find latching tricky and this is a way to help that.....

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
it may help you to use the pinch tenchnique or the scissor technique to help get more breast tissue into her mouth. The pinch technique is using your fingers and thumb, the scissor technique is using your index and middle fingers to 'gently' compress the breast behind the nipple so that it's flat and lined up with her closed lips. As you rub your nipple at about her nose height she should tip her head back and at that point you bring her swiftly to your breast, right up to your fingers and at that point you whip your hand away. This 'should' help her to get a really good mouthful of breast, sucking your nipple right to the back of her throat and getting a good airtight seal.

Quoted

When you say she's not latching on... what is it that she's not doing? Does she open her mouth and get to the nipple but doesn't create suction? Have you tried the scissor technique where you squish the skin behind the areola between your first and second finger (like scissors) so that you have a flat nipple parallel to her mouth and then stuff it in her mouth, holding her behind the neck with one finger behind her head so that she can pull her face back but has support and encouragment to stay on the breast? Some people prefer to use the thumb and forefinger method of doing this, I've used both and believe that the scissor technique works better.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 1:55pm

Hi there, Bells - I agree - it depends on the size and shape of your breasts which method works best - I personally used the scissor method as I have rather small ones. It's very difficult to describe latching on without a visual aid - aren't there some videos that Ginger could watch - I don't know how to do links, but I know a woman who can!!
Ginger - I don't know which country you're in, but perhaps there's some kind of breastfeeding support group you could contact who would be able to see you and check your technique. Meantime here's some :flowers: :chocs :and :hugs:
Love, Chris x

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 5:26pm

dearest Bells and Chris,
Thank you so much for your advice and support. I am sorry to be such a drama queen but as I said before my BF situation breaks my heart, I beat myself day and night about not being able to "provide" for my precious DD. I never thought I will be in this situation (where I am from originally BF is such natural and normal part of motherhood). I am writing this and crying :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: ... okay...

I "use" scissor technique (the same reason Chris - very small/size A breasts) but she just doesn't take "breast" (move her mouth around, close her mouth and then gets very irritated so I have to put shield back)... I think the reason is she is so used to nipple shields: one thing is this "massive" plastic thing which takes probably half of her mouth and another thing is my small nipple, so she has to work very hard...

I gave a birth in Austria (so it's very often "lost in translation" situation as I don't speak German) and they were helpful re BF while I was in hospital but in the same time (I know it may sound strange but I didn't think about it) I wish they would warn me re nipple shields and them reducing my milk supply. I guess I made mistake agreeing using them at first place BUT DD didn't want to latch on then too...

Chris, very good idea re videos, I checked YouTube and there are quite few.

Quoted

Ginger, well done you for persevering!

And no, no way I am giving up, in the worst case I will BF DD using those nipple shields as long I have any milk... but it's so not ideal.
Thank you so much again. :hugs:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 12:55am

Ginger, do you have a breast pump? If you massage your breast GENTLY and stroke towards the nipple then lightly around the nipple, then express some milk with the pump ( you can save it and spoon or cup feed your baby with it) she should find it easier to latch on. She has probably become used to the shields so will fight a bit to start with. However, if you keep expressing milk into and arund her mouth it may help her to realise that the food actually comes from your breast, not the shield. I wish I could pop over and help you. :sadface:

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 6:32am

Question

yes Chris, I have a pump (not electrical one), have to confess I used it few times (after BF) so... hardly anything came out and I gave up, I guess I must try again.

Can you or anybody else give me advice PLEASE:
1. I always start my feedings with BF (using shields X( ) and to make sure DD gets my milk (and I see there is a milk, it's inside of the nipple, on her face sometimes etc) do it for at least TWO hours (hour for each breast). Do I do it right? Or it's too long and don't do anything good for my milk supply?

2. Is there any hope IF I manage to train DD to BF without nipple shields my milk supply will improve or it's too late and my milk supply is already (DD is 6+wks old) settled based on my baby's needs? (and in my case unfortunate formula addition)

Thank you so much in advance :hugs:
DH is back home tomorrow (as we live abroad he is my ONLY help and support/including moral) I will make him to watch some videos and we will try again... :rolleyes:

PS "I wish I could pop over and help you" - how wonderful this would be! Thank you! :flowers:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ginger74" (Nov 3rd 2009, 6:33am)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 10:30am

RE: Question

Quoted

Originally posted by Ginger74:
1. I always start my feedings with BF (using shields X( ) and to make sure DD gets my milk (and I see there is a milk, it's inside of the nipple, on her face sometimes etc) do it for at least TWO hours (hour for each breast). Do I do it right? Or it's too long and don't do anything good for my milk supply?

It 'is' quite a long time to be feeding BUT as you're using shields your breasts aren't being milked as effectively as they would be without which means that she is probably having to work twice as hard or for twice as long to get a normal feed. The good news is that half the stimulation for twice as long will be sending the right signals to your body to produce milk. This is a good thing and your dedication means that you are doing good things for your milk supply.

Quoted

2. Is there any hope IF I manage to train DD to BF without nipple shields my milk supply will improve or it's too late and my milk supply is already (DD is 6+wks old) settled based on my baby's needs? (and in my case unfortunate formula addition)

There's every chance Ginger. Because you've worked so hard to keep your milk supply and because you've made success a priority then you have a very good chance of your milk supply increasing if you can manage to do without the shields.

Quoted

DH is back home tomorrow (as we live abroad he is my ONLY help and support/including moral) I will make him to watch some videos and we will try again... :rolleyes:

He sounds like he will be very supportive. It must be very hard to be coping alone over there and you've done extremely well. You should be incredibly proud of yourself. You're a very determined lady!

Indiechick

Superstar

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 2:40pm

Hey Ginger!

Wow 6 weeks already! sounds like your doing a fab job missus, breastfeeding is such an emotional topic but you are perservering and it will get easier I promise! my two had little mouths that made it harder but they soon grow believe me and it sounds as if your little one is packing on the ounces and so lets face it you must be doing something right! Hang on in there hun, it WILL get easier and quicker!

sending you hugs!

x

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: 1 DD - 2005

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 7:33am

he ginger...
Oh my goodness 6 weeks...how i have neglected you. I just wanted to mention in this post, that i had exactly the same problem...I had to top up with bottle as I wasn't able to produce enough milk. You mentioned having flat nipples, I have an inverted one which made it difficult. I know how you feel hun, it is disappointing not to be able to do the whole thing By the Breast but they grow the same. By 3 months my dd was entirely bottle fed as i sadly gave up trying...but let me tell you, she is healthy her anti bodies are fab, she is 4 yrs old and never had antibiotics. My SIL upstairs who produces tonnes of milk and has always breast fed till they are about 14 months her kids have had to have antibiotics countless times, have eye infections.... Do your best to do it by breast but don't beat yourself up about it. In the big picture you will look back and see that it really didn't matter that much. She is getting fed, she is happy and you need to totally enjoy your baby without worrying about this. Sorry for the long post.... I am going over to your diary now....oh boy I am so happy for you!!!

Jan 05:BFP:
2007 - 2010 - 7 x :BFN:
DD 5yrs Old - Time to [zx103]

Michelle

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 2:50pm

Hi Ginger
I am so sorry that i've only just seen this but i have just read it all the way through and i totally understand everything that you are saying. I have tears in my eyes now, it's really reminded me of the struggle i had and i want to give you a hug :cuddle

You are doing an absolutely wonderful job, you really are. I had to use nipple shields for a long time (think it was about three months before my dd didn't need them at all) because my dd had a tongue tie and i also have quite flat nipples. I used to do what some of the others have said and put the shield on at the start of a feed and whip it off half way through, for weeks my dd used to scream everytime it was removed and i tried for hours and hours every day trying to get her to latch on. Most days i ended up giving her formula and doing lots of expressing and feeding her as much breastmilk as i could via bottle. In the end though my perseverance paid off and she took to the breast and is still being breastfed at 9 months!

I know that you will be tired and physically and emotionally exhausted but it gets much easier. You will look back and be so proud of what you have achieved!

Well done :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Monday, November 9th 2009, 7:55am

7wks 1day

Thank you so much Ladies for your understanding, advice and experience! The day I got registered in FZ was a day when my first IVF was cancelled (very poor response) but now I think it was my lucky day!

The situation is really the same here :rolleyes: but I will keep trying because I am a "crazy mother" just like you ladies :snigger: ... but in the same time I decided to set limits: I was so worried thro the whole PG due to my combined test results (and my paranoia) so now when I have gorgeous and healthy (thanks to God) daughter I want to reduce my worries as much as possible (otherwise Erkani is right I am "loosing" something these precious first very special months of happiness).
So again - will keep trying and keep you posted. Thank you so much again, your help is enormously appreciated. :hugs:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, November 9th 2009, 1:50pm

RE: 7wks 1day

Hi Ginger,
Glad to hear you're still trying,sorry things haven't improved. You said you have a hand pump - is there any chance you could get hold of an electric one - hand ones are very hard work unless you have an abundant supply. Did you know that if your baby gets breastmilk (any amount, and by any method, for 3 months, the protection from infection will last the whole of the first year. So well done for sticking with it - you deserve a medal !!!
Love, Chris x :hugs:

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 3:59am

my purchase

Quoted

Originally posted by Fi'smum
is there any chance you could get hold of an electric one - hand ones are very hard work unless you have an abundant supply. Did you know that if your baby gets breastmilk (any amount, and by any method, for 3 months, the protection from infection will last the whole of the first year. So well done for sticking with it - you deserve a medal !!!
Love, Chris x :hugs:

Not sure about medal :O but I think (in my not IDEAL case) I have some good news:
Two weeks ago I bought an electrical pump (yes hand one was SUCH a waste of money!!!) and I love it! Okay, in my case it's still 1/3 of MY milk and 2/3 of formula but I know that DD is getting it, I know how much and the other day I had 100ml (so who knows maybe "it will grow") and... I feel a touch less guilty so thank you so much for persuading me to buy it!
I wish things would be different :sadface: but I am honestly doing my best... I think. ?( :rolleyes:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ginger74" (Nov 28th 2009, 4:00am)

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 6:16pm

Hey lovely! Glad to hear the electric pump is better than the hand one for you. You really are doing a fab job. I wish everyone had your perseverance! It's such a shame you aren't nearer cos I so want to come and help you out! It sounds like you have done a great job though and your little bambina will be thriving because of it. Lots of love to you all. xx
I have 4 lovely big kids

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 7:47pm

:hugs: Ginger

You are doing such a wonderful job, your an inspiration hun you truly are.
I sat a few days ago sobbing my heart out about my feeding situation and now in comparison to yours I was bubbling for nothing. I cried reading your thread hun and really feel for you.

I think no matter what you decide to do or what the outcome is you should be well and truly proud of yourself cuz many people would have given up a long time ago.

Thinking of you and hope things improve with the electric pump. Be proud of yourself

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Sunday, November 29th 2009, 4:39am

thank you

:bawl: oh thank you ladies, thank you so much.... as the biggest part of the whole thing is this enormous GUILT (I am a bad mother, I can't provide for my child, why everybody can and I can't, why I am so useless and where is my milk? I poison my child with formula and etc etc) so your kind words are so appreciated, thank you :hugs:

Our bambina is doing extremely well (weight etc) and generally very happy child so I guess something is right. Yes pump is hard work (and especially in my case as DH is only help and at the moment he is away for example) which requires lots of planning, sleepless nights (I can pump only when DD is asleep or happy in her cot) but I am doing this... so thank you for again for your words of support. :O

So (hehe) :snigger: honestly - I have to go.... to pump as DD is fed (and 80ml were MY milk), she is happy in the cot so it's perfect time.... :8o:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Sunday, November 29th 2009, 6:17pm

clap Well done Ginger - 80 mls of YOUR milk !!!!!!Fabulous!!! You are doing brilliantly !!!!
You are certainly a determined lady, persevering all this time. So glad to hear things are improving and DD is well and happy. It sounds as if you are much happier too.
xx

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 9:10pm

Hi Ginger

I just spotted your thread, I had near exact start, c-section, my milk coming in late (day 6!!) so I did 3 formula feeds over that time, and also have quite flat nipples so ended up using shields. I was worried about supply but as soon as I started pumping realised it was actually ok, either that or the pumping really helped increase my production. Pumping can be so helpful in letting you see exactly whats going on huh and reassuring theres more in there than you think. Hopefully it will help you transition back, but unfortunately pumping won't stimulate milk production quite as much is my understanding? The main thing is you are getting some breastmilk in there!

A note on the shields... I am at 3 months now and basically off the shields (though being a wimp and going back now and then if one gets too tender to give them a break or if LO is esp tetchy about latching... tbh some of that is now due to early teething, ouch!). At some point it might be worth having another go if you feel up for it. As little ones mouth gets bigger and bigger latching gets easier and easier, honestly. And its so much quicker and easier to just breastfeed than fiddle with bottles. I look back and wonder if the periods where he was feeding very often early on were actually growth spurts rather than anything else. There are also pumping programmes around for 'increasing supply' I can email you one I have as a PM if you are interested or it would be helpful? I followed one after I thought my milk supply wasnt matching demand in growth spurts and bubs would revert back to feeding every few hours and now I have enough to feed as usual and express an extra 50-100 ml 1-2 times a day (so enough for a expressed milk bottle feed a few times a week when I'm out and about)
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 9:27pm

Oh... also want to say 80mls expressed milk is FAB hun, I have loads of friends who are soley breastfeeding and no matter what they do have had no success pumping at all, they only get like 10-20 mls when they try.

I only get 100ml off when I have replaced a feed with an expressed bottle prepared earlier and am pumping when I get home to take excess accumulated milk out, or occasionally when baby has only fed on one side I can get close to 100ml off the unfed on one. Its my understanding pumping is never as efficient as your baby, so 80ml may also indicate you have far more milk than you think! (ps - you may already do this but pumping with a pic of bubs near or while thinking of them breastfeeding can help letdown and you get far more off again - if I'm stressed even if I know there SHOULD be lots of milk should be in there I often get hardly anything out!)

Best xx
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

Ginger74

Superstar

• Germany

Friday, January 15th 2010, 7:34pm

dear ladies, I would like to thank you for all your support and advice. I guess BF journey is over for me, well I still express using electrical pump and give DD about 30 ml per day (yes it went down 110ml then 80 then...) and basically this is ALL what I have. I think to confirm this fact I am also getting kind of A/F (sorry if it's TMI). This was extremely painful experience and I am devasted that I am not capable to BF my dearest daughter but I think (at least) I've tried my best (nipple shields, without nipple shields, then pump, then try to make her latch on, then last weeks sitting for at least an hour for these 20-30ml)... so thank you very much again (ah I have to admit, BF/or not BF in my case and crying goes so well together in my case...).

Michelle

Saturday, January 16th 2010, 12:13pm

Awwww Ginger :cuddle

Honestly you should be very very proud of yourself indeed, you tried so hard and we all saw that. The fact is that after almost 4 months, your dd is still getting some of your breastmilk and any amount is beneficial.

Dont be hard on yourself, you have a beautiful, healthy little girl who has been given the best start in life and however you feed her from now on wont change that!

xx

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 9:58pm

Hi Ginger, so sorry you have got to this situation. Almost the same thing happened to me and it hurst to read your post. Reassure yourself that you have done EVERYTHING you possibly could to get breastmilk down your little one nd that hundreds of other mums in your situation wouldn't have tried even half of what you have done, your baby has had lots of breastmilk and you should feel very proud of that fact.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE