You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Netty" started this thread

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 7:39pm

Confused - guidelines for when to start weaning

In the last week 4 people have told me that the guidelines have changed again regardng when to start weaning and that it's gone back to 17 weeks !!! Apparently this isn't going to be "published" as weaning guidelines until next year ?!?!?!?!

Has anyone else heard this ?

I'm not in a hurry to start weaning but just wondered what other people had heard.
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 8:16pm

Hi Netty. I hadn't heard this. As far as I know 26 weeks is still the recommended age although I don't know many people who get to exactly 26 weeks. Its a good age to aim for though!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 11:32am

Hi Netty

The UK guidelines are that the recommended age for complementary foods is 6 months. If complemtary foods are introduced earlier then 17 weeks is the minimum age - I think this is where people get confused. The main reason is nutrition: most babies do not need other foods and are better nourished on milk alone until 6 mths or so.

To the best of my knowledge there are no intentions to change the guidelines but, hey, who knows!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 9:42pm

V odd as two people said that their health visitors had told them that !

Who knows. M is waking about five times a night at the mo poor little thing, he's always starving .......
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 9:56pm

Odd - I shall ask mine next time I see them. My understanding is that the 6 months was largely based on the maturity of the baby's digestive system so I can't understand how that might have changed ?(

How are you getting on with the feeding at the moment? It could be (those awful words) a growth spurt.....

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 2:03pm

Hi Netty

I think it very much depends on your baby - no 2 are the same! Freddie was def ready at about 20 weeks as he was so interested in what we were eating and he has got on so well he's on 3 meals a day now (plus milk).

R xx

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

Monday, October 26th 2009, 3:57pm

Not getting on too bad with feeding. Still mixed feeding, seems to be working ok on the whole. I breastfeed from first thing int he morning until mid afternoon and then switch to formula as he's starving by 3/4pm.

Think I'll do this until at least 20 weeks and see where we are then as M is definitely starting to show interst in food and is still always hungry. He's waking in the night as well so am going to switch to all formula but the first feed in a morning before I start weaning.
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 6:23pm

I think everyone should be really careful of taking advice from HVs as gospel. It seems to me a lot of HVs give out incorrect advice which is not within the guidelines. I was given an awful lot of bad advice by my HV which thankfully I ignored. 2 examples are; she suggested I give my daughter 'bickie pegs' at 12 weeks for teething (these are made 100% from wheat which can cause celiacs disease if given to a child under 6 months). She said I needed to top up as my daughter wasn't putting on sufficient weight from breast milk, in fact she was gaining weight exactly as a breastfed baby should.

At one point I had nipple thrush and my daughter had it in her mouth - it isn't always visible white patches but can just be sore - my HV mistook this for teething hence the bad info. It took several months and a good breast feeding counsellor to recognize what was really going on and help us both.

I weaned my DD at about a week before the 6 month mark and it made absolutely no difference to night wakings. These are normal at the 4 or 5 month mark. In fact night wakings are normal until school age and this mythical 10 hours straight babies and toddlers are meant to sleep is a rare and holy grail! Yes some do but most don't. DD still wakes once or twice a night at 2 - she's healthy, happy and normal - she just needs a bit of comfort from her mu or dad to get back to sleep - again completely normal.

I know quite a few friends who weaned early either on advice from family or HVs and several of them had really bad problems down the line with allergies and illness. If your child becomes intolerant to a food like wheat (which may not show up like an allergy) they are a lot more likely to wake up in the night and to get ill.

My advice is be really careful about early weaning - it's more likely to cause sleep disturbance than help sleep. And if your HV tells you something you aren't sure about check a few other sources before you follow their advice. It's very unfair to us mums who feel guilty enough as it is that we get given bad advice by the very people we are supposed to trust but the truth is we do. you see it time and again on here and other forums and from friends. HVs need better training in my opinion before they hand out bad advice and make mum's feel bad.
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 8:04pm

Hi,

well said Emilia. My DD will be 26 weeks on Tuesday and I'll start weaning her in the next few days. A lot of my friends have started weaning their babies early, I'm not saying they are wrong but when they look amazed when I say I haven't started yet it puzzles me. Why start it earlier if she doesn't need it!

One of my friends started giving her little boy baby rice about 2 weeks ago, he's only 16 weeks now. She said she hoped it may stop him waking in the night!

Like I say every baby's different but when people are amazed that DD is not on solids yet when I'm only following the guidlines...well, there's something wrong somewhere!

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 1:20pm

are the guidelines 24 or 26 weeks ?

my baby was 2.5 weeks early so do i need to take that into account ?

thanks
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 1:24pm

The guideline is 6 months and I believe that you adjust the age if baby was early too, so add on two weeks to that

WEANING - UK FOOD STANDARDS HELP & ADVICE

This thread gives you all of the government guidelines, well worth a read

x

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 1:29pm

Hi Netty

It's 26 weeks (because 1 year = 52 weeks, half a year = 6 months = 26 weeks. )

Was he delivered at 37 1/2 weeks? So essentially full term? In which case I think you don't need to take it into account.

(But just for completeness - the special care baby charity Bliss recommend that babies who were born prematurely should be weaned between the ages of five and seven months (calculating from your baby's birthdate, not his corrected-age date).Very occasionally, a premature baby may benefit from weaning before five months but this should be discussed with your healthcare team first. )

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 5:25pm

Spoke to my health visitor yesterday re weaning, she said I don't need to take into accout when he was born as it was neraly 38 weeks and nearly term.

Got the usual non commital answer of six months are only "guidelines" , some babies are ready earlier, as his parent I know best , do what I think is right etc etc etc

Google searches give me pretty much the same answers and these people get paid to do that job.

I can honestly say that my health visitor has been of little use to me all thoughout ....................
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE