You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Debs

Ace

• "Debs" started this thread

Reg: Mar 15th 2006

Children: 2 DD 11 & 3yrs old. DS born 16/11/12. 2 natural 1 iui

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 11:47am

Whats going on?

Hi Everyone

Can anyone answer my question? DD is nearly 15 wks old now and for the past 2 nights has started wakening up at 3.30 - 4.30 am, she has always been really good at night, sleeping from 7pm - 7am. I have started giving her baby rice for breakfast on the advice of HV as she is a little hungry madam and she is doing fine with her bottles during the day but I am wondering if I should give her food at night aswell or is this just a stage that they all go through? my other DD is 7 now & I can't remember this with her.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

xx

TTC 5 Years
Me 30 - DH 32
DD - 8
1st IUI 25/10/08 BFP
:happy:

Our beautiful little miracle finally arrived on Tues 14/07/09 :D Baby Cara x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 2:55pm

Hi Deb,

I've moved this to our weaning section as it will get noticed by more people who are going through the same kind of thing. The current guidelines for weaning are 26 weeks and there's a lot of information in the threads in this board regarding milk intake, hunger and sleep in the weeks leading up to recommended weaning age (and lots of people who have HVs who aren't quite up to speed on the latest information!).

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 4:47pm

Hi Debs

I agree with Bells- your baby does not need anything more than milk at her age - in fact she doesn't need anything more than milk up until 6 months. Before this your baby’s digestive system is still developing and weaning too soon may increase the risk of infections and allergies.

It is completely normal for babies aged three to five months to begin waking in the night when they have previously slept through. It is not necessarily a sign of hunger and starting solids will NOT make your baby more likely to sleep through the night again - in fact starting solids at this age is more likely to give them digestive problems in later life.

I don't agree with the advice your HV gave you I'm afraid. If your DD is hungry then more milk is what she needs. In fact the DoH states that solid foods should never be introduced before four months.

I know its hard but seriously, she doesn't need baby rice or any other kind of food at her age. She only needs milk. Please consider not continuing with the baby rice. 14 weeks is way too young for anything other than milk. The age your daughter is is when she's really become aware of the world and what's going on so it's not uncommon for her to be more unsettled at night. It will pass and will only last a few weeks.

Have a look over this leaflet which explains it better than I can :D

In terms of the waking, have you tried other things? Does/would a dummy help? Is she very upset or simply awake? Does she drop back off to sleep by herself? Do you need to shorten her day time naps at all to help with night time sleep?

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Debs

Ace

• "Debs" started this thread

Reg: Mar 15th 2006

Children: 2 DD 11 & 3yrs old. DS born 16/11/12. 2 natural 1 iui

Monday, October 26th 2009, 2:44pm

Hee hee I searched everywhere for this post then convinved myself that maybe I didn't add it in the first place ha ha. DD was fine last night, she went from 6.30pm - 5.30am which is fine with me, I blame DH for bathing her to early though. I could kill my HV :cross: I was only going by what she said & DD seemed to be getting on great with her rice, really enjoying it but on the other hand she slept well last night on a 4oz bottle because she fell asleep during it and there was just no waking her. I have been invited to a weaning day on Wed so I will be having words with her then. Thanks very much for all the advice xxx

TTC 5 Years
Me 30 - DH 32
DD - 8
1st IUI 25/10/08 BFP
:happy:

Our beautiful little miracle finally arrived on Tues 14/07/09 :D Baby Cara x

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, October 26th 2009, 2:59pm

Glad she had a better night. Love the fact you're blaming your DH - that's what I do :snigger:

It is worth a word with your HV - there's no way she should have been advising you to give solids before 4 months. God knows why she thought it was ok ?( You'll probably know more about weaning than all of them at the session now!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Michelle

Monday, October 26th 2009, 6:08pm

I just wanted to add as well that my dd has been up really early too because of the clock change. I'd forgotten the other morning that 5am was actually 6am to her :snigger:

Your HV shouldn't really have advised that baby rice, i'm so pleased that you're going to wait. If she really does need something else before bed then you can get formula for hungrier babies that can be used from birth. My dd was a very hungry girl too but had feeds throughout the night until 6 months or so. I did wean her early but not until 22 weeks and on the advice of a doctor.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE