You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Knighty" started this thread

Reg: Apr 2nd 2008

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 9:08pm

19 weeks and week 2 of weaning...

Hello ladies ...

I just wanted to post on here for 2 reasons really ... 1. to see if anyone else is in the same position and can offer advice and 2. vent my views and seek any help!

So ... my DD was 17 weeks when i last went to the clinic and saw a HV and got her weighed (she is now 19 weeks tomorrow) she only weighed 11lb8oz. When i got i her weighed 5 weeks prior to this she weighed 11lb. Which cobcluded she had only put on 8oz in 5 weeks. To me this was not great bearing in mind at the time she was on 4 x 7oz bottles a day (228oz per day in total) and sleeping through the night. I was advised to get her weaning that day to get her weight up. She doesn't look underweight or skinny and the HV said she looks healthy and well just not putting on the right amount of weight and needed more than just milk. So after an afternoon of tears and panicking that i had been starving my poor baby I started on the baby rice and upped her milk bottles to 8oz every 4 hours. Well on the first attempt she wasn't too interested but has since gone on to having a dessert spoon of baby rice with her 2 daytime feeds and sometimes still finishing her 8oz bottles!! God i feel bad ... she must have been starving but i don't get why she didn't show any signs of hunger and she is very content in herself and generally a happy baby. I am taking her back to the clinic this thursday to get her weighed again on the advice of the HV and really hope she has put on weight as if not I have been advised to take her to the docs for further investigation :-(

I tried her on some pureed carrot today and she liked it and fininshed off 1 ice cube portion plus all her milk bottles along with her baby rice with apple!

I guess what i am trying to say is that every baby is individual and has totally different needs to the next baby and it is really difficult trying to know what is best for your child. If you read all the books and listen to friends and family ... lets be honest everyone thinks they know best, you can get really down and confused at what is best.

If anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer some more advice :snigger: :snigger: please do so

thx for listening!

xx

Me 30
DH 33
1st IVF/ICSI Mar 08 = BFP :happy: May m/c :bawl:
FET Oct 08 = BFP :happy:

Olivia Rose Knight born on 17th June 2009 :happy: :happy: !!

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 10:15am

hi knighty,

my youngest is nearly 2 and still hit and miss with his food. when he was born he took formula milk no prob in hosp. as soon as we got home he refused it in as much he would only take 1 oz every 4 hrs. within 3 days he was skin and bone. i then decided to try him on brest milk. never wanted to b/f thought it was revolting. the thought made my skin crawl. dont like a bloke hanging off them for 10 mins during foreplay (you call that foreplay) let alone a bub 24 hours a day. but a starving baby make a good arguement. he took to boob immediately. my h/v was worried cos he ad lost a lb in 3 or 4 days. not good. after 6 weeks my milk dried up 1 at a time. caught an infection and my boobs are small (dont no if that makes a difference or not) with the still milky boob i gradually weaned him onto formula as well. there wasnt enough milk there to satisfy so i thought bit of both will do him good.

started weaning him at about 12 weeks cos again formula milk problem was resurfacing. by 14 weeks he was on 4 oz of milk and a fromage frais, for breakfast. fresh mash made with butter and 4 oz of milk, which he would drink all of it. weakly made high juice, sugars are good for poo and hes always been constipated. mashed down banana and 4 oz of milk for tea and just a bottle of milk before bed.

by 8 months he wouldnt take milk at all for love nor money. he will have milk in weetabix and in formage frais but as a drink forget it. even tried milk shake for him, not a chance.

yours is unusual in as much as she sounds contented with whatever you do. mine was screaming his guts out constantly when he was hungry. just keep leading her nicely like you have been. up her food intake by one meal extra a week. say this wk only one food supplement a day then next week two supplements a day. keep an eye on her pooing situation and if you think she is struggling knock a meal off and buy some laculose. you can give under 12 mths old 2.5 ml a day. its supposed to soften stools to make it easier to pass. but do all this under guidance from your doctor or h/v . ican only go on mine and my sons experiences, so medical advise is always best. above all enjoy your time with your little one, they dont stay little for long.
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 11:08am

Knighty

I am sorry to butt in on your thread but I have to answer some of the points made in the post above. As you know, we have many thousands of members and guests on the forum and we have a duty to give the correct information to them all.

WEANING - UK FOOD STANDARDS HELP & ADVICE

This thread gives the FSA guidelines on weening and why it should NOT be started at 12 weeks, it also contains all of the information needed about what foods you should give at what age - including why giving fruit juices should be avoided

Sorry Knighty

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Michelle

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 2:37pm

Awwww Knighty hun, it sounds like you're doing a fab job!
With regards to the weight issue, i just wondered if your dd is short? Dont forget that it's the three measurements together that count - weight, length and head circumference. So a baby may be over or underweight according to the charts but still be perfectly in proportion.
Many HV will advise early weaning (which is weaning before six months but never before 17 weeks) if a baby is a little on the light side or showing signs of still being hungry after feeds but it's important that you are happy with that and you go at a nice slow pace and build up the amount of food according to your baby's appetite. Avoid wheat and dairy products until she is six months old and dont worry if she's not eating a huge variety or quantity of foods at this stage, she will be getting all the nutrients that she needs from her formula still.

Hope that helps :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 2:45pm

Thanks Ladies

The HV rang me this morning out of the blue and is coming tomorrow at 2pm for a house visit so i asked her to bring her scales and we can chat about her then!!

Me 30
DH 33

verve19

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 4:01pm

RE: 19 weeks and week 2 of weaning...

hello i am so glad that you have set this thread up. my daughter born 16 th June was weighed yesterday and is 14 pound 3 ounces. She put on 5 ounces in two weeks where she has normally been putting on 8 ounces every two weeks. I dont know if i should start her on solids. She has 4 bottles every 4 1/2 hours she was on 6 ounces but we have upped her to seven ounces as off tuesday which are a bit of a struggle but she is taking them. My HV said not to put her on solids til 6 months.

any ideas?

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 6:31pm

I'm worried now, my little man is been mixed fed and he's polishing off 3 x 8oz bottles between 4pm and 2am no worries, has been waking up more in the night been hungry !!! last night he was fed at 7pm (7oz) and then woke up just after 10pm and then again just after 2sm (polished off 7oz) (well he did wake up earlier but I just left him).

Just don't want to rush weaning but don't want him to be starving !!!

He has the signs of wanting to be weaned but Im so scared if I get it wrong
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Michelle

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 10:13pm

Waking up for feeds during the night when your baby has previously slept through can be a sign that they are ready for weaning but it could also be a growth spurt or just that they are not taking enough milk during the day. My dd never slept through the night until she was 8 months old and still wakes for the occasional midnight feast now!

I wouldn't rush things on the basis of waking for night feeds, try giving more milk during the day and a larger feed before bed and see what happens.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 11:56pm

The official guidelines say 6 months and I think most of us aim to get there. Its a good idea to do as Michelle suggests and try ways to stretch out the time on just milk.

However, every baby is different and what's right for one baby isn't always right for another. Its difficult to decide but sometimes I think we have to trust our instincts and if you're a couple of weeks off the target just make sure that you take it slow and steady and don't give huge meals full of inappropriate foods etc.

I weaned DD1 VERY early on the advice of her Paediatric Gastroenterologist Consultant and was extra determined to make it to 6 months with DD2. Didn't quite make it but gave it a good shot and am still pleased I did as much as possible to get as near to 6 months as we could.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Thursday, October 29th 2009, 5:55pm

I'm definitely waiting. Already planned more milk to see what happens.

I don't know anyone who has made it to 26 weeks, all health visitors seem to have told people I know to start at about 22 ish weeks
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Michelle

Thursday, October 29th 2009, 7:24pm

That's exactly when i was told to start - 22 weeks! My dd definately was ready too, like Jodie says they are all different!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

JOEED

Star

United Kingdom

Reg: May 28th 2008

Children: 1 IVF ICSI

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 8:31pm

I wish I had seen your post I went through the same thing with Evan at 17 weeks his weight had dropped so went back to demand feeding every 1-2 hrs etc also gave him 2 8oz bottle a day to try & top him up but not a happy baby loads of tears. So I started himoff at 17 weeks now 21 weeks & he loves his food only giving him veg, fruit & baby rice at the moment but seems to like everything & he is a happy little fella again plus I m getting my sleep !!!

x x x

ME 36, DP 46
1st IVF Cycle (ICSI) MAY 08
EC MAY 08 OHSS full frozen cycle 16 frosties
1st FET 16 Oct 08 2 Embies's 11 frosties left
1 little boy born 26/06/2009

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 9:06pm

Hey Joe!!

Long time no speak!! Glad to see your little man is doing well now and enjoying his food. Olivia is loving hers to and is on 3 meals a day plus 4 bottles!

How much does he weigh now??

xx

Me 30
DH 33

JOEED

Star

United Kingdom

Reg: May 28th 2008

Children: 1 IVF ICSI

Friday, December 11th 2009, 8:16pm

Hi hun had him weighed yesterday 24 weeks 17lb 9 oz.

yep 3 meals a day still breastfeeding but trying to get him on the bottle now as he has got his first 2 teeth & I am scared of him biting !!!! ouch !!!

ME 36, DP 46
1st IVF Cycle (ICSI) MAY 08
EC MAY 08 OHSS full frozen cycle 16 frosties
1st FET 16 Oct 08 2 Embies's 11 frosties left
1 little boy born 26/06/2009

Reg: Nov 18th 2008

Children: 2 miracle IVF twin girls and 3 miracle surprises!!

What's Up?
Life's hectic but good !!!

Saturday, December 12th 2009, 5:00pm

Hi ladies,

One of my little girls is a really small eatter and she has dropped from 9th centile to 2nd in her weight and height chart.

Both girls only take 4 x 7oz bottles a day and sleep 10-12 hours and are very contented babies. K however frequently only takes 2 full bottles a day and the other two maybe hald her bottle. I have tried to feed her more and more often but she is having none of it.

K put on 9 ounces in 4 weeks and C put on 12 ounces but HV said that was ok weight gain. She said they were not getting enough bottles a day bit neither will take more. HV casually said I could try to wean K but I don't want to this so soon if it is not necessary. I can't help thinking if they are both happy they must be getting enough for them??

Can anyone tell me what the average a child of 17 weeks should be gaining a week.

I am gonna get them both weighed in 2 weeks and if she is still dropping down I will start to wean her then.

Any advice on how to get them to feed more?
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP
Twins Girls Born August 09 : D
Shock Natural BFP - Oct 12
Baby Girl Born June 13 : D
Shock Natural BFP during DR!! - October 14
Baby Boy Born June 15 : D
Another Shock Natural BFP!
Baby Girl Born January 17 : D
Hmcfeather's Diary of My Brood

FERTILITYZONE