You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "picklesmum" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Thursday, November 5th 2009, 9:18am

Question about booking a nursery place

Firstly I know all nurseries may have different policies but I wanted to run this past you ladies who may have been through it.

I am due to go back to work the middle of March. I told work I was having a year off and am owed 4 weeks holiday so the date would have been middle of May, am intending to go back earlier but have not told them yet.

I have written to my boss and asked if they will consider me working 3 days. The problem is we are merging with another company and until the takeover takes place (which should have been 1st Oct but is still dragging on!) he can't tell me as effectively he won't be the main boss anymore.

I am hoping there won't be a problem but I am planning for my Mum to have DD 1 day a week and a nursery for 2 days. I have had some info sent from one that looks really good. I am going to make an appt for DH and myself to visit there and will mention it then but I wondered if I could book a place for her, full time and then when I know what days I am doing I will be able to drop the 3 days a week.

Obviously I am hoping I will know about work before I go back but if I don't and just go back full time then she will have to be at nursery full time until its sorted or I get another part time job. I think it would be too much to ask Mum to look after her full time even for a short while (and I would still want a nursery place anyway).

Sorry to waffle on! Do you think the nursery would be funny about this? Has anyone done it before? DH said it must happen all the time. I mean I would only change it the once (but its obviously dropping days) and then the pattern wouldn't change.

Michelle

Thursday, November 5th 2009, 1:02pm

The trouble with that is you will probably have to pay for the full time place to start off with and give notice of dropping to two days per week. So you might have to pay for full time for two months but do ask as every nursery is different.

The waiting list will vary for part time places compared to full time as well. For example, we often have a six month waiting list for part time places and a year wait for full time.

The thing to do is ask the nursery manager (or whoever shows you round) and ask what their current situation is. A really good nursery WILL have a waiting list though!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Thursday, November 5th 2009, 3:24pm

Hi thanks for that Michelle. I did think it would be like that tbh. I have booked an appt to go and see them on Thursday next week so will speak to them then. Another thought I've just had is if I booked her a place for 2 days but then if I need to at a later date changing the days around? It's so complicated!

Michelle

Thursday, November 5th 2009, 4:58pm

It is complicated and nurseries vary so much, i'm used to hugely busy London nurseries so i don't know what the waiting lists are like in other parts of the country.

For any changes though, you will have to give notice and even then it depends on availability. If the nursery is full and you want to change days then you will simply be put on the waiting list until the days you want become free.

If there is a newly opened nursery near you, this will be your best bet as it takes a while for nurseries to become full and you can be given more flexibility until they run out of space. If however, you go for an outstanding nursery with wonderful reputation, there is a price to pay!!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Thursday, November 5th 2009, 5:22pm

When I ermailed the nursery about booking an appt she said they have 1 place left for Mon/Tues for January, I've emailed back to say that if I booked it I wouldn't want her to start until March when I go back to work (they have a couple of settling in visits first, I'll wait and see what they say.

There is another nursery, only second choice because bit further away and am going to see them as well, they have 3 or 4 spaces for 4 days of the week so that sounds a bit better.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE