You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "treezuk" started this thread

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 11:34pm

Help : Food Issues

I wondered if i could get some advice , for the past few days or so Mckenzi has started to pull food back of out of his mouth place it on the tray and then start to eat it from there , he currently eats 12 months + jars plus home made food aswell , i dunno whether its an issue with lumps again or not but he seems to wanna eat it just not when im feeding it to him , we thought that maybe he has decided on his own that he wishes to eat proper food for example things like fish fingers / chips that he can place in his month himself but im not sure how that will work as he can feed himself things like chips , carrots etc but he will refuse to use a spoon making it tricky for me to feed him anything other than thinks that are easy to make into cubes etc...

Do you have an suggesions , should i make food like Bangers and mash and just let him eat the sausage and feed him the mash or let him try himself im so confused and feel like after months of him being prefect with the eating we've hit a brick wall...I hope ive made sence

xxx
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Monday, November 9th 2009, 12:02am

My neice did this and my nephew just started.
Even if you placed it on the fork then fork into hand they took it off as they wanted to do it all themselves.

My sister just allowed them to eat themselves, making the biggest mess but cleaned it up later, Neice loved tomato soup and bread for dipping can you imagine the mess!!!!

Sorry its not the biggest help and Im sure someone will be along soon with better advice, just wanted to let you know this appears to be normal

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:06am

first.....breathe lol

I would just let him go for it. Give him a spoon and 'help' him load it if he will let you but otherwise you will probably find he'll just eat his food with his hands. I think it's an independence issue rather than a lump issue so don't stress too much.

What I do is just cut food into bite size chunks and she helps herself.She manages rice and peas so small food too. Bit messy but easier than having a battle with a spoon at every meal
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Michelle

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:12am

Happens all the time Treez! They get to the stage when they just want to feed themselves but at a year old, the hand-eye coordination is still not quite developed enough for spoon feeding. He will get there though and perhaps the best thing to do is just put his food infront of him and load the spoon, then hand him the spoon and see what he does with it. He'll get the hang of it eventually but in the meantime, you might have some mashed potato splattered up the wall :snigger:
He'll eat it, even if he does make a mess and by freeing up your hands and allowing you to sit and eat your meal at the same time, he will learn from watching you that using the cutlery is the way to go!

I used to sit at a table with 12 toddlers to eat my lunch at work.......you should have seen the mess afterwards!

Good luck with casseroles rotf

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:35am

Awww Treez, he sounds adorable and it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with him!

Do you remember the baby led weaning threads on here? The ladies doing that give their little ones a plate with, as you say, food that they can pick up and put into their mouths. So, as you say, put some fish fingers out, some cubes of boiled potato or some mash, some bits of cooked broccoli and some cooked carot batons (rounds are really tricky to pick up even with little fingers :snigger: ) and give him a spoon but let him use his fingers to help the food go in. You can have another spoon and help proceedings along. If you babble animatedly you can even let him think that he's doing it while you're surrepticiously sneaking in spoonfulls ... just to help make sure he's eating a good amount.

They do all go through the stage of wanting to do it themselves but not quite managing it. It's frustrating seeing them eat less than you want and it does get very very messy.... but they all need to work out that a spoon is an extension of their fingers and that it's jolly useful for getting food into the mouth. It's one of those processes like when they learn to walk and constantly fall down before they master it ... only messier :D

treezuk

Superstar

Monday, November 9th 2009, 12:00pm

Thanks everyone im glad to know im doing all the right things i give him a spoon while i have a spoon and he just chucks it about :snigger: but its a start right ??? I always give him the spoon loaded first moutfull is put in no problem , 2nd hold of the spoon he flops it down on the tray and thats it then :snigger: work in progress i know !!!

He started doing this thing where he lobs food at me is that normal to , i tell him NO you dont chuck food but he just smirks and laughs and carrys on , is this something i need to nip in the bud or just ignore his doing it as hopefully he will get bored ??? Also is it a good idea to gives jars a wide birth now and go for proper food alltogether cos to be honest im fed up buying them and them not getting eaten ???
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31

Michelle

Monday, November 9th 2009, 2:48pm

I'd ignore the food throwing, any kind of attention that you give him for that might just make him want to do it more :snigger:

Also, i'd avoid the jars especially if he's not eating them (so expensive aren't they?)
He should be fine with whatever you are having now, i find that my dd eats much better when we have the same thing and i just sit next to her and eat mine whilst she feeds herself (and the walls and floor!)
Omlettes are always great for eating together and things like roast chicken with veg, sandwiches and my dd loves wholemeal muffins that i've toasted and then topped with a tiny bit of tomato puree and then melted cheese (so it's a bit like a pizza!)

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

treezuk

Superstar

Monday, November 9th 2009, 5:51pm

Thanks for the idea's michelle that is great i was sitting here earlier getting a bit stuck on what to give him , i ended up giving him beans and sausages and all he did was take the beans back out put them on the tray and then eat them lol it was very long and drawn out process... i think im gonna do him fish fingers & waffles tonight with some pea's or carrots and see how i get on !!!

note to self need to buy some Egg's thanks michelle lol :snigger:
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31

treezuk

Superstar

Monday, November 9th 2009, 10:58pm

Just wanted to come and share that dinner was a total sucsess fish fingers , waffles and carrots :D i am so happy he ate all his dinner with no fuss and hardly chucked anything at me , i even let him have a little ketchup to dip in , he seemed so much happier being able to do that he even looked at his daddy and giggled as if to say look daddy im eating my food...
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31

Michelle

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 9:15am

Fantastic - what a good boy :happy:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 9:25am

What a clever little lad! Well done to you too!! Think of all the things he can eat now... wooo!!

treezuk

Superstar

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 6:12pm

Yeah i know more to the point bells think of all the things he can chuck at me :snigger: im seriously considering sporting an apron constantly LOL !!!
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE