You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "picklesmum" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 9:23am

Broccoli puree?

At the moment we are having fun trying things out. Isobel has had a stalk of broccoli and carrot batons but also started her off on carrot/parsnip puree. Did anyone puree their broccoli?

Also have another question (may be me being silly!) I heard that if you puree apple you have to cook it first but then I've seen mums giving their babies raw apple cut into slices.If they can have that then why do you have to cook it to puree it? Explain it to me please, I'm naive about these thnigs!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 10:09am

Hi

We didn't puree brocolli as we just gave it as finger food. But I can't see why you'd need to puree it - if you want it mushy just cooking it well and mashing it with a fork should be fine.

About the apple, it will only puree easily if you soften it through cooking - it'd be too hard to puree raw. There's nothing wrong with giving raw apple as well in slices/chunks - or you could also soften some chunks slightly so she could have them as finger food?

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 4:05pm

We pureed brocolli, takes a bit of doing and still has fleks in it but really great to mix in with things like sweet pot.

I heard that fruit should be cooked if you're weaning early as it's easier to digest but after 6 months raw is fine. As bubbles says thought if you wanted to puree apple you would need to cook it I guess.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Michelle

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 5:54pm

I've just always steamed my broccoli until it was quite soft and then either given as finger food or mashed with fork when adding to puree's. As a puree on it's own - it's disgusting, well my dd certainly thought so anyway :snigger: but she loves just holding the stalk and munching away at the top.

Apple really doesn't puree well when it's raw, i found that out the hard way! I pop a tiny bit of lemon juice into my puree to keep it's colour.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 8:44pm

Thanks girls. We tried a stalk of broccoli the other day, I don't think there was anywhere it didn't get! :snigger: even her ears! I think I've really got to persevere with this as she doesn't seem too keen at the mo. I think maybe I would be better with just finger foods and no purees?

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 10:06pm

It's definately worth a try. I know someone else who waited the full six months before weaning and their baby doesn't like taking purees so she's now going down the baby led weaning/finger foods route. I wonder whether it's something to do with waiting the full recommended six months because then your baby is obviously more mature and interested in things around her and wanting to do things for herself and she's not been used to passively being spoon fed.

Take a look through the baby led weaning thread for more info. There's also a really good book simply called 'baby led weaning by Gill Rapley if you wanted a read. I found it useful because it helped me deal with some of the fears I had about gagging, choking etc.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Friday, November 20th 2009, 2:00pm

re. the apple part, I used to peel an apple and grate it really finely and it was just the right texture for L to eat without cooking it 1st ...pretty much like a puree really... worked well for me as it was quick and easy! Nice added to natural yogurt too. It was my HV who suggested doing that (grated apple) when M was little and had the runs....apparently quite good for helping things get back to normal :)
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 2:34pm

Try pear if you want to use it raw as it's so soft and juicy babies are often able to just eat it as it is. In Asda I found these little contraptions which are a bit like a dummy with a handle, but with a little mesh bag attached that you can put raw veg or fruit in so your baby can chew on them and get the flavour and juice, but can't bite off big chunks which may make them choke. Clever little device and handy for when you're out and about and don't want to be picking squidged fruit from the pushchair!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 5:42pm

Hi Mrs Smiff,

i bought one of these yesterday then realised it said 12+ but figured it can't hurt if I'm there with her?

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE