You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

compley

Megastar

• "compley" started this thread

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 8:52am

In so much pain!

Since yesterday, I have been in alot of pain, when feeding L from the right breast. It's more than just discomfort, it's had me in floods of tears, feeling nauseous from the pain, and completely reluctant to feed from that side, though I have done, through gritted teeth and curled toes!

The pain seems to be in the nipple area whilst feeding. After the feed, for about an hour or so after the pain is quite extreme, and seems to radiate from the nipple, right through the left side of the breast, to the bottom of the breast (the left side as I am looking down on the breast, if that makes sense!).
The pain then subsides a bit, but comes back intermittently, between feeds, and is now sore to the touch.

Originally I couldn't se anything, but last night I noticed a small white patch on the nipple, which seems slightly bigger today, and the nipple seems slightly redder today.

I've made an appt to see my GP this afternoon, but am not sure what this could be? Could it possibly be thrush? I haven't managed to have a good look in L's mouth, but she seems fine, is happy when feeding (even if I'm not!).

I've never experienced this level of pain, when feeding H or L before, and I'm not sure what to do. She feeds from both sides, at each feed, and the right side is excruciating. ~I'm dreading feeding her at the moment.

I'm taking paracetamol, and took some ibubrofen (hope that's ok when bfing?). I've tried a heat pad, and cold compress (the cold compress didn't help!).

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

xxx

<

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:18am

Compley, I had almost the exact same thing. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are absolutely fine, as is swearing when feeding! See what your GP says, thrush is usually passed very quickly from one breast to the other so its usually both breasts that are affected. I was treated for thrush and I think you need to be too, you need tablets and cream for your nipples and also gel for bubster. However also check the shape of your nipple after each feed, mine was compressed against DDs mouth and was oval after a feed and I think it was just poor positioning. If you can get to a proper breastfeeding advisor then I'm sure they will help you out. They can also give you a leaflet to give to your GP which tells him/her what treatment you need for thrush. And of course keep feeding. You have my sympathy, I am wincing on your behalf.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:28am

Ooh sounds painful. Hope the GP can get you sorted.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:52am

Thanks Mrs J and Bubble.

Have just phoned the NCT breastfeeding helpline, and spoken to a very nice lady! From listening to what I described, she seemed to think it may be thrush. So, am counting down the hours until 4pm, and hoping the GP will get me sorted with the treatment (luckily I got an appointment with the GP who I'd always choose to see, if given the choice!...so am hoping he will be able to help).

Recently fed L again, and it was mighty painful, but got through it, and think the paracetamol and ibuprofen have helped take the edge of things.
Have put a breast pad inside my bra, to give the breast an extra bit of padding/protection!!

Right, better get myself together, and get off to singing, and try to stop blubbing!....Me and H have swine flu jabs today, so I'm getting myself in a lather about how H will be/him being upset etc....Also wandering, as my jab is before GP's appt should I go ahead and have it today, or postpone mine, and see what GP sees/the treatment he gives me?....best mention it to the practice nurse, and see what she says.

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 11:38am

Oh you poor love. I think it's thrush too and it sounds deep so please don't get fobbed off with cream for your nipples, you need the cream AND a good course of tablets. You also should watch the amount of bread and sugar you're eating. If you can get some acidophilous from the health food shop then I would take full dosage of that too.

Wash all your bras in a hot wash, don't use soaps or anything perfumed on your breasts and do you use dummies for Lily? If so I'd throw them all away and buy new ones.

I feel your pain, I had it for about three months but it was before the internet and nobody gave me a proper diagnosis or a useful treatment. It seems to be viewed as a small ailment, easily cleared up with a bit of cream but it isn't and the longer it goes untreated the harder it becomes to treat? I still get the occasional deep stabbing breast pain and I remember vividly the pain of feeding. Oh how I cried :sadface:

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 12:53pm

Oooh yes put a spoonful of white vinegar in the wash with your bras, it will kill the spores otherise you have to wash them on a really hot wash and it does them no good at all.

You are doing fantasticly well to keep feeding through it, I remember sobbing with each feed. I feel your pain too!

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 8:42pm

Ouch, yup sounds like thrush. Make sure she gets treated too, I got mild thrush and COdy's mouth t was hardly noticeable except for 1-2 dots.

The two other things I can think of would be a blocked milk duct, thats also really painful but usually passes as you keep feeding through it. Does heating your boob with heat pack help? Might make feeding more comfortable, then a cold pack afterwards. No lumps? I had thrush, blocked duct + mastitis!! If your lumpy with it at all and any type of chills and suspect mastitis starting up on that side, the best advice I got that saved me was get on a pump and pump all the milk out asap then antibiotic cream.

But thrush does sound most likely. oooh I hate sore boobies! Stings so bad huh!
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:06pm

Thanks everyone.

Well, not sure if I'm much further forward. Struggled through the day...put on a brave face....cry...feed (ouch!!), and repeat all over again!
Dosed myself up with painkillers, and think that's the only way I got through the feeding.

Waited almost an hour to see the GP, and was feeling completely exhausted by that point. I explained my symptoms, and that I thought I may have thrush, and within the breast. And basically, he said he's not sure that such a thing as thrush within the breast exsists, only nipple thrush, and that it's quite common...but not thrush within the breast!!!! X( ..By this point I'm feeling quite annoyed, but hoping when he examines my breast he will see that it doesn't quite look right. But no, he thinks the white patch is 'just how the nipple can look' (well I'm sorry, but that combined with the pain, is not normal for me).

So, I haven't got a temperature, or at that point any red areas, but he thinks it may be early mastitis, and has given me antibiotics. Tbh, I'm not sure the diagnosis is right...perhaps it is, and it's me who is wrong, but I'm a bit worried I'm going to have to suffer another couple of days, with things not improving, before I can return to the GP.
I did get some more pain killers, and continue to be dosed up on them, as soon as I am able to take the next dose.

So, I blubbed all the way home, have stared the antibiotics, and am hoping for some improvement, but not banking on it!
I did notice a red, linear area on my right breast tonight, and it did feel more lumpy, but am not sure if this could indeed be the start of mastitis? Or the fact that although I've fed from the right side, at each feed today, I've got L off, and on the other side, at the first feasible point, as I am in so much pain, and can't bear it, and so therefore, the milk has built up a bit, making it red and lumpy?

So am not really sure what to do now, how long to give it, to see if things improve?
I'm still erring on the side of caution, that it could be thrush, and as you say Bells, have new dummies on the shopping list for tomorrow ( will add white vinegar too!), as well as washing the bras, and have put my nightwear/towels etc in wash, and used clean ones this eve.

xxx

<

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:11pm

Compley have a look at this http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/p…_March_2009.pdf Not FZ endorsed and see if it helps. I would try contacting the breastfeeding network and see if they can advise you.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:24pm

I agree with Bells - sounds like deep-seated thrush. If it was mastitis or breast abscess you'd have a temperature and feel "flu-y" If it's too painful to feed from that side, could you express (gentle massage and hand expressing) enough to keep from engorgement and just feed from the other breast. Did the GP not give you treatment for thrush as well? It wouldn't have done any harm.
TBH not many GPs know anything about breastfeeding.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fi'smum" (Dec 8th 2009, 9:25pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:28pm

Oh my!!! Ductal thrush doesn't exist does it not?????!!!!!! X(

PLEASE get a second opinion! The red areas could well be inflammed ducts due to you not feeding properly because of the pain, it can certainly lead to infection but you still need treatment for whatever's underlying.

Antibiotics, 'if' you have thrush, will possibly make it worse... I could positively scream on your behalf!!!!

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:35pm

Thanks Mrs J. I read that, and one of their leaflets earlier. It definitely seems to be in the right breast only, at the moment, although I have had a few pangs, at the base of my left breast today, but only a few times.

The pain is absolutely excruciating, I almost don't know what to do with myself, when feeding L, if that makes sense! I have thought a few times today, does it seem a bit better? but then consider the pain relief I have on board, and that it still hurts quite alot, with that. Andl also the immense difference in how it feels, feeding on the left side.

The red area is a recent development, but seems to have gone down a bit now. I massaged the breast, where it was lumpy, so not sure if that helped, as it feels slightly less lumpy now.

Think I will give them a ring tomorrow, see what they can advise. I will have had another night to have seen how things are going by then, so will be able to see where we are with things.

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:41pm

Cross post Compley.

As I said, I had it for months and by the time it was diagnosed it was in both breasts but I'd say that it was certainly more in one than the other. At no point was it ever the same in both and at first it was only in one side... so I don't totally go with the idea that it must be the same in both to prove as thrush.

I remember the pain. My silk dressing gown brushing against my nipple was torture and feeds were miserable. You MUST get some systemic treatment and soon!!! I had to tell my GP what drugs I needed, she checked the information over the phone with a lactation consultant and prescribed me the medication under the proviso that I knew it wasn't licensed for breastfeeding mothers (at that point). It may be that you have to tell them what you need and stand up for yourself a little.

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:44pm

Fi's Mum, that was one of my concerns, that GP's may not be the best people to help here! I almost thought of asking them to see if the mw could come and have a look, but as L is almost 4 months old, and she is extremely busy, thought this would be doubtful...

My HV's aren't the best, but don't know it it's worth ringing them as well tomorrow, and basically pleading that I need some help!

Bells, I felt so peed off with the GP, and a bit of loss of faith, because as I said earlier, I have always found him so good, so was a bit flabbergasted by him really. I sat in there, and ever since coming out, basically thinking 'this isn't sorted, and even thinking at least I've got some decent pain relief, to try and get me through tonight...'

My gut feeling is that the read areas are due to poor feeding on that side today, as I know I've fed badly from that side, and L probably hasn't had chance to drain it properly.

Will try the breastfeeding network, HV, and even get another appt for tomorrow, with another GP???

xxx

<

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:46pm

Hear Hear!!!

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 9:49pm

Another cross post there Bells!!

Yes, think you are right. I may try and print the leaflet I found from the breastfeeding network, and take it along, as it had all the info re medication needed for thrush etc.

Don't know what happened today, I'm completely run down, with one thing and another, and this is sort of the last straw, and well like I said the GP left me feeling uncertain, as I was so sure all day that he would give me the treatment I feel I need.

<

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 10:00pm

My last post was in esponse to Bell's one before yours!! :D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 10:06pm

(you know, on the new site we get a message telling us if we've cross posted... it's FAB!!)

And yes, I think that you need to speak to a lactation consultant, explain how difficult it is for you to be treated, ask if she will help you get treated, find out what the latest medications are for ductal thrush (for me it was ten times the normal dosage found in a Canestan Once treatment), write them down, hoof it to your GP and say "I've spoken to a lactation consultant and we agree that I have ductal thrush. I believe that I need XXXX and if you'd like to speak to (lactation consultant) to check, this is her number.... I'll wait!"

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 10:10pm

Thanks Bells, Have just got dh to print out the leaflet from the breastfeeding network. Will ring for another appt tomorrow morning (just getting through to the surgery is a hurdle in itself!). Then contact the breastfeeding network, and hopefully see if I can get somewhere with it all!

xxx

<

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 10:11pm

It's disappointing when you find a GP that you normally trust lets you down with something like this, but I agree you need to get info written down to take to GP to make sure you get right treatment. And Lily will need treatment too, it almost certainly will spread to her mouth.
This is a busy little forum tonight eh Bells!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 10:14pm

Chris, it sure is!!

It's a shame that the GP wasn't more helpful but as the name suggests, he's a 'general' practitioner and as such probably doesn't come across such pinpoint problems as thrush during breastfeeding. After all, if we had a toothache we'd see a dentist, a verruca we'd see a podiatrist, a pulled muscles we'd see a physiotherapist .... for specific breastfeeding problem you need to see a breastfeeding professional.

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 10:20pm

You're right there Bells!...don't suppose you'd fancy a trip to Bristol, and my GP's tomorrow!! :snigger:

Seriously though, thankyou everyone. Have just taken some more painkillers, and am off to try and get a bit of sleep, will let you know how I get on tomorrow xxx

<

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 12:28am

If you feel like one side isnt drained properly, can you pump the excess milk off? When I had everything, pumping was way less painful than baby feeding and I was told to clear out the affected breast if possible, it made me 100% more comfortable straight away, whether it helped clear all the passages and keep things flowing or just drain gunk and start of infection out I don't know but it made a huge difference. Just a thought, I had multiple things going so not sure if its just thrush it would be the thing to do, but does sound like you are a bit clogged up on the sore side and dont want to let anything else get going in there.Good luck tomorrow!
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 1:49pm

Well, managed to feed L in the night. I usually feed her lying down, but sat up, and put light on dim, to make sure positioning was correct, as didn't want to add to problems!

Woke up this morning, and the red area on my breast was there again, along with the other symptoms, and also a tiny amount of what seemed like discharge from the nipple.
Made another appt, armed mysef with all the info I thought I may need! Spoke to the NCT breastfeeding line again (the lady I spoke to reacted in a similar way to you Bells, when I told her the GP suggested thrush in the breast may not exsist!!).

And I'm pleased to say that the GP I saw this morning did not brush me off, in relation to the thrush. She seemed more knowledgeable about it, and more positive and informed about the help I had gained from here/the NCT etc.
She examined my breast, which is in a bit of a sorry looking state now! And prescribed fluclozanole tablets for me, and miconazole gel for L (and she said I could apply this to my nipple too). She said she thinks the red area that has now appeared may possibly be the start of mastitis, as a result of not having been able to feed well from that side, and the problems that can bring, so she suggested continuing the antibiotics for that, as well as the other treatment.

I was so relieved when I came out...relieved I didn't have to 'fight'....relieved that I got the appropriate treatment, and that L has some gel too...and with a bit of faith in my GP practice restored too!

I've already started the fluclozanole. Have a 7 day course. Am keeping up with the pain relief, to basically keep on top of the pain as much as I can (it's still really sore!).

My sister is going to pick up some acidophilus, as she works near a health food shop, so that's kind of her.
I'm in the process of washing sheets/towels/bras/nightwear (with the vinegar as you suggested Mrs J!).
I've got new dummies for L.
Dh is working tonight, and we're having some issues with H and his sleep too. He comes into our bed (gets out his own bed in the night), gets very clingy, wants to cuddle/hold my hand etc, and gets very upset if I'm feeding L, and this isn't possible, and we then have full on tantrums. So it may sound a bit feeble, but dh's parents offered to have him tonight, so I can just focus on feeding L. I'm finding each feed time quite hard at the moment, and so I've taken them up on the offer, just makes life a bit easier for tonight, which I need right now!

Bells, I'm also going to keep an eye on my diet as you suggested, and limit the wheat/sugar a bit. I will admit to having quite a sweet tooth, and it has got out of hand a bit lately!

With the red area on my breast, I'm trying to massage it when I feed, and inbetween, and apply heat, to help it clear. I haven't managed to express, as I think H would find it all quite intriguing, probably want to play with the breast pump, and it could all end up a bit fraught! Though do you think it would be worth trying to do it, when dh is at home. Will expressing a bit off help clear the red area/lumpiness?

Is there anything else I should/could do, to help? Hoping I've covered most things now, but just thought I'd check!

Thanks again everyone!

xxx

<

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 1:49pm

Well, managed to feed L in the night. I usually feed her lying down, but sat up, and put light on dim, to make sure positioning was correct, as didn't want to add to problems!

Woke up this morning, and the red area on my breast was there again, along with the other symptoms, and also a tiny amount of what seemed like discharge from the nipple.
Made another appt, armed mysef with all the info I thought I may need! Spoke to the NCT breastfeeding line again (the lady I spoke to reacted in a similar way to you Bells, when I told her the GP suggested thrush in the breast may not exsist!!).

And I'm pleased to say that the GP I saw this morning did not brush me off, in relation to the thrush. She seemed more knowledgeable about it, and more positive and informed about the help I had gained from here/the NCT etc.
She examined my breast, which is in a bit of a sorry looking state now! And prescribed fluclozanole tablets for me, and miconazole gel for L (and she said I could apply this to my nipple too). She said she thinks the red area that has now appeared may possibly be the start of mastitis, as a result of not having been able to feed well from that side, and the problems that can bring, so she suggested continuing the antibiotics for that, as well as the other treatment.

I was so relieved when I came out...relieved I didn't have to 'fight'....relieved that I got the appropriate treatment, and that L has some gel too...and with a bit of faith in my GP practice restored too!

I've already started the fluclozanole. Have a 7 day course. Am keeping up with the pain relief, to basically keep on top of the pain as much as I can (it's still really sore!).

My sister is going to pick up some acidophilus, as she works near a health food shop, so that's kind of her.
I'm in the process of washing sheets/towels/bras/nightwear (with the vinegar as you suggested Mrs J!).
I've got new dummies for L.
Dh is working tonight, and we're having some issues with H and his sleep too. He comes into our bed (gets out his own bed in the night), gets very clingy, wants to cuddle/hold my hand etc, and gets very upset if I'm feeding L, and this isn't possible, and we then have full on tantrums. So it may sound a bit feeble, but dh's parents offered to have him tonight, so I can just focus on feeding L. I'm finding each feed time quite hard at the moment, and so I've taken them up on the offer, just makes life a bit easier for tonight, which I need right now!

Bells, I'm also going to keep an eye on my diet as you suggested, and limit the bread/sugar a bit. I will admit to having quite a sweet tooth, and it has got out of hand a bit lately!

With the red area on my breast, I'm trying to massage it when I feed, and inbetween, and apply heat, to help it clear. I haven't managed to express, as I think H would find it all quite intriguing, probably want to play with the breast pump, and it could all end up a bit fraught! Though do you think it would be worth trying to do it, when dh is at home. Will expressing a bit off help clear the red area/lumpiness?

Is there anything else I should/could do, to help? Hoping I've covered most things now, but just thought I'd check!

Thanks again everyone!

xxx

<

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 2:07pm

Great news about your GP visit. You must be relieved that she was so understanding - confrontation is never pleasant.
Yes, expressing a bit should help the lumpiness, particularly if you massage the lumpy bits before and during expressing. If the ducts are not cleared properly it could lead to a breast abscess. Do you know how to do massage effectively without damaging breast tissue? If not, I'm sure there'll be. a video on Youtube or something. Bells would most likely know of anything.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 2:12pm

Sorted the triplicate posting for you Chris. :D

Laura I'm so pleased you went armed with info and came out with a result. Hopefully it'll clear up quickly now. I think you've done the right thing asking your parents in law to have H tonight - you'll need the rest and it means you can concentrate on feeding L.

Hope you see improvements really quickly.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 2:39pm

Chris, I'm not 100% sure, I have been doing it in a soft, circular motion, massaging towards the nipple.

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 2:56pm

Thank goodness!!

You're quite right to look at your sweet tooth and try to limit the amount of sugars you have now, just until you're on top of this at least.

It sounds like you're doing exactly the right things to help get this under control. The gel you have for your nipple and L's mouth works hand in hand with the tablets but I urge you to continue with it for 'at least' a week after you finish the course of tablets.

You've also discovered what the usual complication of thrush is and not feeding due to the pain. The most common secondary conditions are inflammed ducts which can sometimes lead to mastitis and then the dreaded abscess. You've carried on feeding and are tackling both problems head on, for that you deserve a big pat on the back.

Stay topless as much as possible, if you wear breast pads change them VERY regularly (as soon as they're moist) and keep on with the gel!!

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 6:13pm

Laura only just seen this

Wanted to say well done for keeping on going even though it must have been so sore :sadface:

Glad you got to see another GP who was helpful, It makes you so mad when drs arent helpful as according to some drs the genetic condition I have doesnt exist, Well hello!!!! Im here!!!

Hope it gets better really soon hun and thanks for all your help with my problems too

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 9:26pm

Have carried on massaging the red area, and applying a heat pad. Tried to express, but didn't get anything out. It still looks a bit red and feels lumpy, so am hoping I'm doing enough to stop it escalating.

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 9th 2009, 9:44pm

As long as you're managing to feed from that side you're keeping things moving. Once you stop feeding the area swells, the narrow tubes in the milk ducts can become so inflamed that they block, the milk can't get out and this causes the heat, pain and lumpiness. So long as you keep feeding you reduce the chances of the area backing up, swelling and blocking totally.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 10th 2009, 12:14am

Your massage technique sounds fine Laura.You could also stroke the affected area towards the nipple while L is feeding. You've done amazingly well, coping with all this and having a toddler to consider as well. I agree with Bubble, it was a good idea letting H go to his gran's for the night. He'll probably have the time of his life - my kids used to love sleepovers at my mum's.

compley

Megastar

Thursday, December 10th 2009, 9:14am

Thanks. It was good just having L to sort out last night, and she was a bit more unsettled too, so at least I only had her keeping me awake!
(And you are right Chris, H absolutely loves spending time with his Grandparents, so much so, the other week, we went to collect him and he tried to take his coat and shoes off again, when he realised we were taking him home!!). I know we are really lucky, as we have support from both of our families, and this past few weeks or so they've helped so much, with different things, it means so much to us, and we appreciate everything they do.

Though I'm still sore, the pain has subsided a little. The area is still a bit red, but I am trying to make sure I let L feed from that side fully, before swapping to the other side (I will admit I start each feed from the right side at the moment, to get the pain out of the way!). The nipple looks slightly less white too.
Will keep up with massaging the area, and am going to continue the pain relief, and hoping things will start to feel more comfy soon!

xxx

<

compley

Megastar

Monday, December 14th 2009, 9:48am

Sorry, it's me again! Thought towards the end of the week things were settling down, and was starting to ease off pain killers a bit on Saturday.

The red area has completely gone, and the breast feels fine, as in no lumps. However, the patch on the nipple, that was white, seemed to get a bit of a scab, which came off, leaving it quite red and raw. This has been painful, like a cracked nipple I suppose. I've kept up with feeding L from both sides, the gel, tablets, letting air get to breasts when I can etc. But since yesterday afternoon, and into this morning, the pain in the right breast seems to be getting worse again. At first it did seem to be just the nipple, so I thought it was where the nipple was a bit sore, from being a bit red and raw! However, the breast seems to be getting sore again now. The worst area of pain is if I am looking down on my right breast, from a sitting position, its the the area on the left side, where the breast meets the chest (this area was really painful last week). The breast/nipple is very sensitive to touch etc.

When I'm feedling L, it's a bit uncomfy, but not as bad as last week. The left breast, apart from the odd pang, seems fine. I fed L at about 7am, and have been in pain since.

I don't know what to do really. I thought I was getting there, but now I'm not so sure! I'm getting a bit worried about what is going on with my right breast. I finish the fluconazole tomorrow (7 day course, of once daily tablet at 50mg). I'm back to dosing up on pain relief.

I'm at the end of my tether! This is getting me down now! It's not helped by the fact we are getting more and more feeds where L gets really distressed when trying to latch on, and so it can take a while to get going with a feed, and several attempts to latch her on, which isn't helping my nipples!!! (I think it's where she is impatient for the milk to start to flow, and gets a tad annoyed!!).

She also sometimes seems really unhappy at the end of a feed, crying depsite being winded and offered the breast again. She will come off and cry. A bit of distraction/cuddle seems to calm her, but honestly, it is all getting a bit miserable at the moment.

I absolutely do not want to think about stopping bfing now, and up to now I've been really happy with how it's all gone, so it's really important to me that I get on top of all this!!

I feel like I'm spending most days either crying, or on the verge of it! Generally, now that L is a bit more lively, and H, although gorgeous, is being quite challenging at the moment, well I'm wandering if any of this will ever get easier!!!

Sorry, a bit of a digression there!! Should I go back to my GP? Is it normal for thrush not to have cleared up by now? Was the treatment dose not high enough? And I guess I'm worrying what if something else is going on, though I've had a good feel/look at the breast, and can't find anything that worries me, lumps/bumps etc.

xxx

<

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "compley" (Dec 14th 2009, 9:48am)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, December 14th 2009, 11:36am

Deep seated thrush can take a while to clear Laura. It does sound like you need to go back to GP for more treatment. Is Lily's mouth clear of thrush? The infection could be going back and forth between you. I would think the antibiotics wouldn't have helped either, kind of working against the antifungal.

compley

Megastar

Monday, December 14th 2009, 11:57am

Thanks Chris. Yes, the GP looked, and I've kept an eye, and L's mouth looks normal.

I did think the antibiotics may not have helped things, but took them as the breast then got red and lumpy, and GP thought it was worth taking them both.

Just rang GP, no appts for today, so will be on phone first thing tomorrow!

xxx

<

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, December 14th 2009, 1:41pm

Could you get an emergency appointment with them? It sounds horrible for you.

x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, December 14th 2009, 3:19pm

I second that the antibiotics will have hindered the antifungal's action. The antibiotics obviously kill all bacteria and the thrush thrives without friendly bacteria to control it... so not a good combination.

I would definitely get back to the GPs and get another course of tablets, maybe the dosage needs to be higher too?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, December 14th 2009, 8:32pm

Compley the dose does indeed need to be higher. You need fluconazole at 150-300mg daily, you also need antifungal cream for your nipples, make sure you are applying it to both sides, and L needs the gel too, regardless of how her mouth looks. Thrush need treating aggressively or it just doesn't clear up as you have found. Has your GP seen this leaflet http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/p…et_Feb_2009.pdf

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrsjasper" (Dec 14th 2009, 8:32pm)

compley

Megastar

Monday, December 14th 2009, 9:18pm

Thanks Mrs J! I have that leaflet, and was armed with it last week, but on re-reading it today, noticed as you say, that the dose should have been higher. So will be on to GP tomorrow morning, and take the leaflet along.

xxx

<

compley

Megastar

Tuesday, December 15th 2009, 1:43pm

Just to update! Saw the GP this morning. Took along that leaflet Mrs J, and the GP was really nice, said thanks for bringing it along! She prescribed a loading dose of 150mg, then 50mg fluclonazole twice daily, for 10 days. Got some more gel, and painkillers too. So am really hoping I'll now start to get on top of this!

Feeling a bit better (emotionally at least!!!) just from having seen the GP and being prescribed some more treatment, and hopefully this time, will soon be on the way to feeling better!

Thanks again everyone! xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "compley" (Dec 15th 2009, 1:43pm)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 8:48pm

And how are things today? Hope the drugs are kicking in and you are feeling better.

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 9:23pm

Thanks Mrs J. Well, I'm hoping the higher dose is doing its work! I'm still getting abit of discomfort, but fingers crossed, things seem better than they were a couple of days ago, and feeding L from the right side is actually beginning to feel a bit more comfy, which is a big relief! So am hoping we carry on in the right direction!

L had one of her usual 'fraught' feeds, but I did a bit of reading up, and tried the breast compression method, to try and speed the milk up, and don't know, it may have just been luck, but I managed to get her calm and feeding quite quickly, and she then took a good feed. I'm also trying very hard to stay calm when she gets like this. I'll give it a good go, but if we're not getting anywhere, let her (and me!!) calm down, and try again a bit later, all the while remembering she's never let herself go hungry up to now, so she isn't likely to start now!

Had her weighed today, and she is 11lb 12oz, so quite dinky, but I stood firm, didn't let them worry me with their charts etc, and reiterated she seems healthy and happy etc to me!

xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 9:33pm

So glad to hear things are going well. Her weight gain might well have slowed a bit if the thrush has been making her fussy at the breast, but as you so rightly point out, the numbers on the chart are only one indication of how she is doing and not the be all and end all.

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 9:52pm

Yes, I think it will be interesting to see what happens when all this clears up, she may well settle more with feeding. I think, all things considered, the thrush, and that she has been quite snuffly, up until recently, she's not doing bad at all!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE