You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "kiwimaya" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Sunday, December 13th 2009, 11:29pm

Problem with manual breast pump - any advice on suitable alternatives

Hi
I'm using a tommee tippee manual breast pump. Its been okay up until past 2 weeks when the suction has started to pull my nipple all the way down the tube which holds the flange (not sure if this is the right term) which results in it being rubbed against the plasticy concertina bit (sorry not very technical). This is becoming uncomfortable and decreasing milk flow.

Can anyone recommend a manual pump which has a longer tube, or do I need one that has a narrower flange (if that's the right word for the thing you put your boob in!) Any suggestions/advice gratefully appreciated. (I'm expressing for a baby that hates the bottle - but persevering as may start to like it one day and I can have a night out xfingers !)

Many thanks

Jen
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, December 14th 2009, 10:22am

Why not Google "breast pump reviews". I know of Avent and Ameda handpumps,but don't know how they compare. And I'm sure some of the other mums will be along with personal experiences. :smile:

Michelle

Monday, December 14th 2009, 10:32am

I got on ok with the tommee tipee one but i did have to replace the valve at one point because it kept on doing funny things with the suction - have you got a spare valve that you could try?

I also had a medela electric one which was far more efficient and comfortable because of the different settings. The one i had could be used plugged into the mains or with battery power, so could still use it whilst walking around (which i often did!)

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Monday, December 14th 2009, 5:18pm

Thanks Chris and Michelle

I will try the value (that's the white thing that points into the bottle right?) - I never thought it may be a suction issue as opposed to size.
I am tempted to look into an electric one but cost may be an issue. Thanks for your recommendation. I just hope I don't come up against the same issue.
Chris - I'll do another google search, I tried one about problems and breast pumps but will have another dig around if have a chance tonight.
Thanks for your help
Jen
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Monday, December 14th 2009, 5:37pm

i got the avent manual pump (from tescos as they are almost half priced at the mo!) and ive found it easy to use. they also come with a spare valve thing which i thought was a bonus! i must admit i have weak wrists and wass worried about the pumping thing BUT i reckon after a few weeks i'll have stronger wrists and forearms like popeye lmao

Tuesday, December 15th 2009, 11:12am

Thanks Popppit - I'm off to Tesco in a mo so will check them out. Been to busy to express since I posted but hope to do so some point this week. I think I need a pump in which the tube that runs down from the bit you put your boob to the bottle is longer than the tommee tippee one. I think it may be to do with the shape of my boobs - big and sagging :D :O

xx
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, December 16th 2009, 8:44pm

Jen before you fork out any money, why don't you have a go at hand expressing? I've found I get more milk out that way. Here's an easy guide (not FZ endorsed link) http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/en/fe/pa…?n1=3&n2=9#sub4

Thursday, December 17th 2009, 7:58pm

Thanks mrsjasper.
Hadn''t thought of that. Have been put of by experiences in hospital after E was born. He feed until 3 days old and I was extremely stressed out by an expressing regime I was put on (would not do it second time around). Various members of staff popping in every 3 hours to express me until I said I think I can do this myself, and until ready to go on electric machine. Its not for me, hand pump was so much easier.

I actually considering now that it will be so infrequent that E will have a bottle that on those occasions may have formula available. E has been refusing the bottle for about 2 months now so have wasted a lot of own milk. So may just carry on with formula.
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201