You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SCOTTIE" started this thread

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Thursday, December 31st 2009, 9:17am

OK....... Help needed, am I getting night BF all wrong?

Ok here we go.....are you ready for this?!

My wee lady is a fist/thumb sucker, tried her with a dummy but wouldnt have it. But my issue aint with that its during the night am i getting her feeding cues right? She generallly goes down between 9-10pm & around 1-2am i awake to her frantically sucking her thumb so i put her on the breast & she feeds for 10 mins (her norm) her but she doesnt cry for the feed & still seems really quite sleepy. The same will happen between say 4-5am but some nights she will go till after 6am ?( She winds fine after it & generally goes back down no probs. Am i picking up on these cues right or should i wait till she is more awake, i am just worried i am feeding her when its may be just comfort she wants. I guess i am worrying because other babies are going 7 hours at a time by Bs age & they are also BF but i realise all babies are different. Should i perhaps try a dream feed at say midnight as another mum has suggested? But i feel all her night feeds are dream feeds as she doesnt seem to wake up?! :snigger: During the day she feeds 4-5 hourly but usually 2 hourly between her afternoon nap & bedtime.

I feel ok feeding her twice a night & dont feel really tired as i now nap most days in the afternoon with her.

Am i just being neurotic? HELP!
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 31st 2009, 11:42am

I think that your little routine sounds lovely. It's more usual for a BF baby to wake for feeds after 4 hours (at her age) than it is for a BF baby to go 7 hours so I think you're the norm here. In fact, it sounds ideal.

If she was waking less frequently you would probably be worried about your milk production... there's always 'something' to question ;)

Thursday, December 31st 2009, 12:46pm

Thanks Bells. Just needed reassurance i guess that i am getting it right & i am picking up on her cues correctly.
SCOTTIE

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 7:17pm

It sounds very similar to what I did. I always took the view that I'd rather feed her at night even if she was only stirring gently as she would then fall back asleep easily and quickly. I feared if I left her then it would escalate into tears and screaming and she'd take longer to settle. Like you they were all 'dreamy' feeds and I never did a 'proper' dream feed when I went to bed. She/I/we (never sure who it really was!) stopped night time feeds at 6 months when she started sleeping through.

It sounds as though what you're doing works really well for you both so go with it - especially the afternoon naps. How perfect!

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 8:40pm

Sounds quite similar to what we do here too! L goes longer between feeds in the day, but then does 4.30-5pmish, and 7pmish, before bed.

If she wakes fairly early into the night (up to about 1amish), I'll have a bit of a go to see if she will settle with her dummy. If not, then I feed her then, but if she wakes any later than that, I don't tend to let her 'wake properly', I feed her lying down, and she (and sometimes me!!!) often nods off during the feed, and I either put her back in her cot, or she then co-sleeps until the morning.

I did a 10pm dream feed with H. He would then wake at about 3am. Often it would be hard to get him to feed at 10pm, not always easy to settle him after, and I usually stayed up until after this feed. He dropped the 10pm feed before his night feed! (well I say 'dropped', he actually adamantly refused to feed!!).
So with L, I decided to let her set her own pattern! And she will usually go from about 7pm, until about 1-3am. I'm happy not trying to get her to feed at 10, because as I said, Im not sure it worked that well, when I did it with H. It also means I can get an early night, and not wait up for that feed!

Don't worry too much about how long she goes at night, compared to other babies, because as you say, they are all different! And our LO's can also be going along doing one thing, sudddenly change...we wander why, and before we know it, change again, or revert back to what they had been doing!!! The most important thing is that it sound like what you are doing is working for you all, which is great!

xxx

<

Sunday, January 3rd 2010, 7:48am

Thanks Bubble & Compley. Yeah our routine does seem to suit us, although some days i do feel really tired i just try & make sure i snooze in the afternoon with her :happy: She was awake at 6am today :rolleyes: Not quite sure what happenend last night but she was late to settle but did so with no protests & also seemed really restless overnight. Not awake just sucking her thumb & wriggling like MAD! Almost like she wasnt getting into a really sound sleep. I fed her twice as usual but it didnt seem to help although she did take it. She did sleep pretty late on her PM nap yesterdaythough so going to make an effort to ger her down earlier for it today as that may be the cause. Oh well off to get my brekkie, bye for now x
SCOTTIE