You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "elvisnniamh" started this thread

Reg: Aug 8th 2008

Children: m/c at 14 wks 2007

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 8:48pm

Hormonal, tearful in pain and On the verge of quitting!!

Hey Girls
hope someone can help...I really feel like I am on the verge of quitting, and because I am so confused I dont want to make a decision either way yet. My baby is 3 weeks and 4 days (every day counts!!) and I am in complete agony with the breast feeding, I have a cracked nipple on one side and the other is also quite painful, my midwife was a breastfeeding nazi in my opinion and just advised me to feed over the pain!! I have been able to express the past few days as the pain has been unbearable, and the baby took a bottle no problem. I have had to combine the breastmilk with formula as I havent expressed enough. I had an episiotomy and then a wound infection, which I found tough going so basically I feel like I have been all over the place!! I feel like I havent stopped crying today and my poor DH doesnt know what to do, but is being mega supportive. Everything I look up says that sore nipples are down to problems latching on, but the baby looks exactly how she should, and looks the same as in the hospital and in front of the midwife. Any advice would be really appreciated, I feel like such a mess at the minute.....
Thanks in advance
A
8 X BFN Clomid & Metformin
9th round - Mar 09 150 Clomid :BFP: SHOCKED

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 9:22pm

Firstly, congratulations and a happy new year!

The pain sounds horrible, poor you. If you haven't made a decision either way yet and think that there is a good chance that you will want to continue breastfeeding then you need to ensure that you do things now that give you the best opportunity to continue. The best way to keep your supply strong is to put baby to the breast as often as possible. I know that must just sound evil given the pain you've described but it is honestly the best way to ensure that your supply remains good. Expressing doesn't have the same impact as a baby suckling does and by giving formula then your body thinks it doesn't need to produce as much milk. So although both things give you some immediate respite they're not brillant for solving the problem longer term.

Are you certain your positioning is spot on? Is she opening her mouth wide, are you lying her with her tummy facing yours so that she isn't having to turn her head to get your nipple? When she is on the breast is she making swallowing sounds? I often found that if I counted to ten the pain had stopped before reaching ten. Does it hurt just at the start of a feed or throughout?

Although the latching might look right I think it might be a good idea to get to a breastfeeding group or contact an advisor to get them to check. Can you do this?

I was really unwell after giving birth as well and literally had to go to bed and get DH to bring baby bubble to me for feeding and he looked after her the rest of the time. Is there anyone else you could ask for support? You need to make sure that you are eating well and resting well too. It has a direct impact on baby. Chocolate is essential too!!

Also don't be too hard on yourself. The first few weeks after giving birth can be torture and I think we've all had very similar low points to you. You're doing really well and it does get easier - promise.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Feb 24th 2009

Children: 1 DD - 2005

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 9:28pm

Hi,
So sorry to hear you are finding it so difficult. I too found bf'ing really difficult and had to give up in the end. Not for the same reasons as you but nevertheless I had to give up. I think the sore nipple thing is very common and if you really want to go on, then I am sure it does get easier. The only advise I would give you is to not beat yourself up about it. if you do make the decision to stop then that is fine. There are some bf nazi's around that is for sure. My dd was basically starving as i was unable to produce enough milk. i have one inverted nipple and i think that was the stem of my problem. My dd is now 4 yrs old and never so much as had a sniff of an antibiotic. My SIL bf all 3 of her kids till about 14 months and all 3 of them had antibiotics by the age of 6 months and countless times since. Formula milk is fine too. To be honest, I don't think bf is easy for many people. Whatever you choose to do, your baby will be just fine.
I am pretty sure i haven't helped - but I didn't want to read and run hun. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Jan 05:BFP:
2007 - 2010 - 7 x :BFN:
DD 5yrs Old - Time to [zx103]

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 9:34pm

Thanks K and Bubble!!
Bubble at the beginning the pain was just for the first few seconds, but then it was uncomfortable throughout the feed, the cracked nipple looks disgusting, however it does look like it is on the mend and is starting to heal...unfortunately the local breastfeeding group is not up and running again until this wednesday, I hope to be able to go to this as I dont know anyone else who is breast feeding at the minute and it would be good to meet up with other mums.
Thanks so much for your support
A

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 9:39pm

just another thought, I got some cream to put on my nipples it was like a really oily cream. I will have bought it online and it is supposed to really help with cracked nipples although thinking back, it might have been the prevention of. I think here, in italy, they rub olive oil into their nipples. You could maybe try this after feeding so there is no taste for baby later on. Good luck hun.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 9:42pm

A little bit of soreness or tenderness at the start of a feed is not uncommon but a cracked or bleeding nipple is, as you've read, generally an indication of a poor latch. I think if you can hang on until Weds and get someone to check your latch you may find that you just need to adjust it slightly. In the meantime feed as much as you can, use lanisoh, take some painkillers about 30mins or so before a feed if you need to (paracetemol and ibuprofen are fine) and if you can, wander around without a bra and top on so the air gets to the wound to heal it. Watch how you're using your breastpump as well as sometimes that can cause irritation.

Breastfeeding isn't meant to hurt so just remember that once it's healed the pain will go and, if you want to, you should be able to happily continue. x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 9:51pm

Hiya A,

It really sounds like you have had a tough few weeks, and are giving this your all, so give yourself a big pat on the back for that!

I don't know much about them, but am sure someone will soon be along who does! But I think that some ladies who have had cracked nipples have tried nipple shields.
I used lansinoh on my nipples, although some ladies recommend rubbing a bit of breast milk in, after a feed. Letting the air get to your nipples as much as possible will hopefully help with the healing.
Going along to the bfing support groups sounds a good idea.

I have taken paracetamol and ibuprofen whilst bfing, so you could take some pain relief, to help take the edge of things. The pain sounds quite intense, so you could check with your GP, but you may be able to take some other pain relief, for a few days, to help you through this.

It sounds like you have had a difficult recovery from the birth, and it is still very early days, so there are lots of hormones flying around, which can wreak havoc with how we are feeling! A supportive partner can make a huge difference, so your Dh just 'being there' for you will help. If possible, let him do all the practical baby care, nappy changing, making drinks for visitors, meals for you, when he is around, so you can rest up, and concentrate on feeding your baby, and recovering from the birth, and infection.

You are doing well expressing. Your body will be responding to this, and continuing to produce breastmilk, although as Bubble says putting your baby to the breast is the most effective way of establishing your supply (though I know the thought of doing this is probably making you wince right now!).

Bfing can be tough, and can bring some low time.s With help and support, and hopefully getting you feeling more comfortable, and getting through this diffcult time, you will be able to get your baby back on the breast.

xxx

<

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "compley" (Jan 2nd 2010, 10:16pm)

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 10:02pm

That's the stuff...lasninoh that I used! Thanks Compley...you have a better memory than me!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 10:58pm

Hi Elvisnniamh, and happy new year,

Poor you - it's really hard when you have problems like this and there's nobody around to help. As Bubble said, a bit of stinging at the start of a feed for the first few weeks is common, and does go away, but cracked nipples are always down to poor latching on. If the nipple seems to be healing, then you've probably managed to correct the latch. I'm afraid it's going to hurt until it's completely healed, but there are some things you can do to help.

1) Take paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly.

2) Don't wait until your baby is crying for a feed before you start - that can make you rush the latching on because you want to get food into her as quickly as possible.It's more likely then that it won't be quite right.Pick her up when you see her just beginning to stir, but is not quite awake and ravenous. Sit comfortably, with your back well supported and hold her so that her nose is level with the nipple. Shape your breast with fingers and thumb just behind the areola. Tease her top lip with your nipple until she tilts her head back and opens her mouth really wide then quickly bring her on to the breast, take a deep breath and count to ten,and keep hold of your breast until she changes from fast sucking to long slow sucks and little pauses. You'll probably hear her swallowing too, and at this point the soreness should ease off. If it doesn't, try bringing her in closer to you so that her head is tilted back and her chin is close in touching your breast.Make sure your arm is well supported so that she can't slip back during the feed.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 11:19pm

I somehow managed to post that before I was finished!!
3)When you finish the feed spread a little breastmilk over the sore nipple and let it dry on. This helps it to heal. Better than any creams, and it's free!!
4)If only one nipple is cracked you can cheat a little. Start every feed on the side with the good nipple,and if it's not the side you were due to start with,wait til she's doing long sucks ( that means the letdown has happened) then at the first pause take her off (finger in the side of her mouthand break the vacuum) and move her quickly over to the side with the sore nipple and latch her on. The milk will have let down in that breast as well, so the soreness will ease off sooner.
5)Don't use a pump on a breast with a cracked nipple - the suction will open the cracks and interfere with healing. Also, your baby's saliva has antiseptic properties so helps stop infection getting in through damaged nipples.
6)Try to avoid giving formula,as it will send the message to your brain that your body doesn't need to produce as much milk.
Hope this helps.
It really does get better - honest !!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, January 3rd 2010, 1:39pm

Hi Elvisnnaimnh
I have not further practical advice to offer, Bubble has posted exactly what I would say. Just wanted to say well done to you for keeping going through such a tough time, you are doing a great job. Hope things get easier for you soon.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 3rd 2010, 7:54pm

Just wondered how things have been today?

x

Sunday, January 3rd 2010, 11:04pm

Fi' mum - next time i am bf'ing (and it will happen!!!) will you come to my house please. You sound like you REALLY know what you are talking about!

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Monday, January 4th 2010, 2:10am

Erkani she does :snigger: Has been a lifesaver to me

Hun so sorry your having trouble, I hvent experienced cracked nipples but am still having battles of my own with BF'ing and wanted to pop on to offer my support, Not much more I can say than whats already been said, I only got to 4 weeks exclusively feeding and am now topping up with formula, If this is something you really want to do and feel you would regret giving up then persist as long as you can cuz once you start on formula its a slippery slope from there as I have found out, I only started on 1 bottle a day and now am giving sometimes 5 a day.
If however you are comfortable with the idea then thats fine too, Its all down to how you feel and whatever decision you make is the right one for you as I have finally learned myself.

I really hope nipples clear up soon and feeding becomes more comfortable, Lots of hugs from someone who knows it just isnt as easy as it looks

suki

Ace

Reg: Apr 11th 2008

Monday, January 4th 2010, 11:04am

Hope things are going better with the BFing, wish I'd had all the advice here when I was having problems, but I was so stressed it just didn't dawn on me to use FZ, doh! As well as all the advice already given, I found that once I got a better postion to feed R that latching on became much easier and so sore nipples were less of a problem. I ended up using a BF pillow + another pillow to support R so that it was easier to manouver her onto me. In hospital the midwifes had always just looked at me feeding and said that it looked fine, but it took 5 mins with my midwife when we got home, actually watching me putting R to the breast, to give me the best advice and the support to keep going. I hope you manage to get out to the BF support group, It makes you feel so much better to get advice and support from other sore, tearful mums who are going through the same thing. ( just like FZ but you get to see the other knackered souls face to face!) Good luck. xxx

nat :BFP: Feb 2008 mc 7wks

IVF April 08 :BFP:
FET April 2010 :BFN:
IVF July 2010 - ET postponed
FET Sept 2010 :BFP:

Monday, January 4th 2010, 12:12pm

Hey everyone
Thank you soo soo much for all your advice and support. Chris, I took your advice yesterday about starting on one and then moving to the cracked nipple and AMAZINGLY it didnt hurt! Its such a psychological barrier too I think, my brain was telling me I couldnt do it but I did and it was fine. I am still using the Lansinoh cream and have started taking painkillers again. I have still been using formula but am now trying to get back in a routine with the BF. HOWEVER, I now think I might have thrush!!! not sure as baby sleeping and haven checked her mouth, but my nipples are constantly tingling and sore and I keep getting the let down feeling frequently. Hope its not, but will let you know. The main thing is that I am trying to keep going as opposed to giving up and I wouldnt be able to do that without all your support. Thank you so much.

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, January 4th 2010, 5:40pm

Hi Elvisnniamh, glad to see things are getting better on the latch front. As for the tingling nipples, in the early days of b/f nipples can be very sensitive,and the cold will make fhem tingly/sore. Try keeping your boobs warm in this weather and see if that helps - Fiona was a winter baby too, and my mum used to tell me to wear a scarf crossed over my chest under my coat when I went out, to "keep the bairn's milk warm", but it did help with the tender nipples!!

Erkani - I would very happily come to Sorrento next time you're b/f - if someone paid my fare!!! :snigger: Thanks to you and Pammy for the vote of confidence. Apart from my own experience of b/f my babies, I spent the last 24 years of my career as a midwife working in Parent Education, and my particular interest was b/f. Helping mums to b/f happily is very rewarding, and it's the part of the job that I miss since retiring 4 years ago. Being a "virtual helper" on FZ from time to time makes up for that. :)

Friday, January 8th 2010, 2:12pm

Hey everyone
just a quick note to thank you for your support over the past wee while. I decided to stop breastfeeding this week and have done it slowly. I finally realised what an emotional impact it was having on me and ultimately my baby!! I really wasnt in a good place and now I have made the decision I can pat myself on the back and say that I am good enough and that 1 month was great!!!! I feel so much better and am enjoying my time with my baby even more.
Thanks again to all of you

A

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Friday, January 8th 2010, 3:30pm

Hi A,

You sound really happy and positive, and it is important that you do what feels right for you and your baby.

Enjoy these precious early days, and take care xxx

<

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Monday, January 25th 2010, 9:04pm

another option if it gets too bad is to get some nipple shields and just use to help your worst nipple while it heals, helped me get through it when one of mine was cracked and bleeding, just gave them a break when I couldnt stand it any more.
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

Tuesday, January 26th 2010, 9:44am

Well done for making the decision that suits you. Your baby will be fine just the same with or without breast milk. Well done for being strong and making the choice that is right for you and baby... good luck and i hope now you and baby can go on to really enjoy these very special days.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests