You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Princess of the Universe

• "Grace" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 12:03pm

OK, I have been gettong conflicting information about how freqently I should be bf Jensen (is there any subject regarding pregnancy and babies there is only one school of thought on). Basically the bf book I bought said bf should be every 2-4 hours, when Jensen was born he didn't feed well, in fact he didn't ask to be fed until he was 3 weeks old and prior to that I had to wake him to feed or he just wouldn't bother.The mw advised waking him every 3 hours to feed but I noticed that he would be on the boob for the same length of time regardless of the length of time between feeds and, as he was losing weight and I was being threatened with re-admission to hospital, I started feeding him every 2 hours to maximise the amount of mummy juice going in (and at this point he started gaining weight so it must have worked). When he finally started asking to be fed he continued on the 2 hourly schedule (day and night) and now puts on about 7oz a week (fantastic). Now, however, I am being advised that he should be feeding every 3-4 hours during the day and longer at night and I have effectively taught him to keep "topping up" every 2 hours instead of taking a full feed at alonger interval (he now feeds for about 10 -40 mins) and I should be lengethening the interval between feeds. Now I would love it if he went for longer periods (especially at night) but have always fed on demand and was assuming that sooner or later he would extend the feeding interval himself as he got older. So what is the truth? should I start trying to lengthen the interval because he never will or can I just continue as I am.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 3:15pm

A good rule of thumb is that at a month babies need a feed every hour. At two months every two hours, at the months three hours and at four months four hours. Obviously this doesn't go on after 4-5 months as you need to get food into him frequently.... but I think it's a good benchmark for the first four months.

If he's gaining weight and not causing you any problems then I would carry on as you are. Ignore all advice from Mums using formula as it's obviously completely different stuff and takes much longer to get through the digestive system.

Reg: May 26th 2008

Children: William Arthur and Emily Annabelle

Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 3:25pm

Hello Grace,

I am agree with Bells, if your LO is benefiting from boobies why not?continue how you are, BF babies is different from Bottle Feeding, from bottel you know exactly how much they eat but from boobies you dont.

My LO was hungry all the time, and he was feeding every 2 hours until 4 month but now is bother in the day just only when is tired he wants his boobies.looks like you are doing exelent job.

Tatiana :xxx3:
Wish you all good luck and BFP in 2011

its a girl

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 4:22pm

Hi Grace, he sounds pretty normal to me as B can still feed 2-3 hourly during the day & she is almost 4 months old! I have just let her lead me since her BF has been established (also needed prompted in the early days) & now we have a lovely routine. She has gradually stretched out the night periods herself & now usually only feeds once overnight between 7pm & 7am. I did nothing to prompt this, no dream feeds etc she just did it on her own. My mum tried to get me to give her a formula feed at night back in the early days of major sleep deprivation to make her go longer but i resisted & i am so glad i did. You are doing a FAB job & Jensens weight gain is testament to that!!! WELL DONE!
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]