You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 11:28am

scary decision

ok....so dp and I have made a really scary decision today :(

dp graduated 4 years ago and took up a job pretty much straight away. It wasnt great money but with few jobs about it paid the bills. He has been with this company ever since and has made little progression because of the lack of opportunity. They've always promised him more money when the work comes in (which hasnt happened in the 4 year he's been there). He's looked for jobs with no success and a really good opportunity has come up working for a very well known company. His friend works for the company and he has just been offered the job for alot more money than he's on now....the only draw back is it's only temporary for 4 months! The reason its temp is because the person who's job it was has been suspended and from what it sounds like they wil not be welcolmed back. Dp has taken the job which is so frightening because at he end of the day this is 4 months work. If they dont take him on after 4 months im guessing he wont be entitled to JSA. Im going back part time and have signed a contract and can do anymore than 22 hrs so if dp loses his ob our annual income will be 12k. im really worried but i know that he would have kicked himself if he didnt take this fantastic opportunity. Can anyone offer me any reassurance or advise anything we can put in place before the 4 months are up ? what would we be entitled to with an income of 12k?
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Reg: Jan 31st 2010

Children: One of each

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 8:19pm

Hi there - sorry no-one has been able to shed any light. What a scary time for you - I can symapthise, been there, done that more than once now.

All you can do is pray that his contract is extended / made permenant after 4 months. The way that "temporary contracts" work now, mean that you can only work for the same employer for 50 weeks out of 52 (don't quote me on the exact figures), else you are considered a permenant employee with permenant benefits. That is worth bearing in mind - he may get to nearly a year, and be "contract ended" for several weeks.

As for what to put in place... save as much as you can. My DH works seasonally, and we save constantly when he is working to see us through the quiet months.

On 12k you would get a nice amount on working tax credits. I can't quote exact figures, but it will be a few hundred a month I would guess.

Good luck!
Little Miss:xxx3:
Mummy to "one of each" - ED Hoping to help someone fulfil their dream

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 8:39pm

thanks for your reply :)

I just hate uncertainty. I'm so anti risk taking but i felt like i should suport DP and trust his judgement. I guess we would just have to live on the breadline for a while until he gets another job. hopefully it wont come to that :)

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 8:43pm

No worries!

I know it's hard - but do try not to worry. Worry is evil, and can consume you - it's so not worth it! Enjoy Lydia and know that DP is doing all he can to support you all.

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 8:53pm

visit the hmrc website and theres a section for an estimate of what you could recieve and any other help you maybe entitled to. hope it helps :)

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 11:03pm

I can relate to where you are.
DH just got laid off on friday and without his wage we getting about 12k a year too, Not a lot when you have been used to more than double. I would deffo say your entitled to Working tax, Anything over 16 hours would get you something. Do you already get child tax credit?
I hope the 4 month turns into a full time contract. If your really worried you could save up as much as you can from his new wage and use it if worst happens to tide you over.
Sorry not been much help

Monday, February 22nd 2010, 12:40pm

Thanks ladies,

I have used entitledto to work it out and we would have enough to cover all bills and mortgage and we'd have to cut our food bill slightly (which we could do) but we would have £0 left after the essentials but i guess that's what to be expected until he got another job.

Pamela - hope dp gets another job soon - fingers crossed for you x

Monday, February 22nd 2010, 1:04pm

At least its not a minus! I hope it doesn't come to that for you.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE