You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 12:47pm

Was i just empty??

Hiya,

I need some help please

Yesterday Isla was feeding what seemed like most of the day (she had just 1 nap for 2 hours), anyway she was crying for more food and around 6.15pm she was really weird, kept crying when feeding then pulling away, struggled to get her to go on (she sucked for a bit then off again all upset) ?(

was i just totally empty? didnt know what to do so quicky defrosted some EBM for DH to give her in a bottle and i expressed again later on when she was sleeping, not sure if this was the issue or what the best thing to do is if it happens again

so confused and a bit upset if i dont have enough milk for her - she has been fine since but then not been feeding as much today as we have been out and about

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 12:58pm

sounds like a growth spurt to me....though I am as new to this as you are!
Martha did this when she was around 10 days old and it lasted a couple of days. She did the same last night so I am expecting her to do so tonight. Growth spurts around 6 weeks are pretty common I think.

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 1:13pm

Hi not sure if i'm right but you prob wasnt empty she may have been fussing because it wasnt flowing as easy and she was having to work harder to get milk and maybe she was tired after feeding all day, as Jensqu said she was prob having a growth spurt - L tends to feed all day and is more grumpy and fussy when having a growth spurt, i also find stopping and burping him if he's pulling and fussing esp if hes been feeding all day helps!
Problem with giving EBM when shes having a growth is that your stopping her from producing more milk - shes feeding so much so the boobs make the right amount of milk for her at this stage!
Dont be upset hun i'm positive you have enough milk (v. rare not to) and you'l prob find your boobs will be massive later :D
Hopefully bells or someone will be along soon to advise
blowkiss

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 1:57pm

thanks guys,

I hope it was just a growth spurt - i made sure to express last night to make sure my milk production wasnt affected.
Weird thing is today shes very sleepy and not eating much, exact opposite from yesterday but still different from normal, she does have an eye infection though so not sure if shes just feeling poorly

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 2:33pm

could be hun - Lucas is being a right grump today and being really fussy
always something to worry about isnt there
blowkiss

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 4:07pm

It's likely to be related to a growth spurt around six weeks and her need for constant feeding is just her getting your body prepared for needing a bit more from you over the coming weeks. Completely normal and nothing to worry about but try to feed through it (rather than using EBM) so your supply meets her demand.

Also if she's feeling a bit under the weather and was feeding all day it's likely she was just getting a boi overtired and frustrated. Were you in the house all day yesterday? Sometimes I found that if I was in all day baby bubble would want to constantly feed but if we got out for a bit it actually broke that cycle a little and she would go for longer than she ever would have done if we stayed in.

Hope her eye infection clears up soon - poor little thing.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:07pm

hi guys,

thanks for the advice, will def feed through it next time, jus9t had no idea what was going on last night.

Bubble, i was stuck at home yesterday due to icy pavements (too hard to push pram), isla also goes longer when we are out
im sure it is growth spurt - they do grow so quickly, maybe she will fit into more of her clothes soon as she is still ickle and only in a few new born outfits

thanks again guys

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: Apr 2009- Suprise Natural BFP!!!

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 5:18am

I found the same thing recently with Dylan- he's just 4 weeks old. Had a mega hungry day, draining both boobs then a really sleepy day. I was told it was probably a growth spurt. He's back to feeding like mad at the moment and my boobs never feel full. I'm worried my milk is drying up. They used to feel full and hard but now are really quite soft- does this sound like the milk is drying up. He has to feed off bothe breasts in order to fill himself up... is this normal? He is also really windy (Infacol helps) and farts loads- usually pooing at the same time. He also has green poos most of the time. I have talked to the HV about this several times but no one seems to be concerned... I just don't think it's normal?!?!

We go to a breastfeeding group each week as I have really struggled with it. Huge problems with latching on and mega sore nipples. Being stubborn I just kept going despite the pain resulting in a very upset Mummy and Baby. Things are a bit better now but my 'technique' still needs work. Dylan is gaining weight, on average 5oz a week. The HV does not seem overly concerned... am I just a paranoid first time Mum?

PS: Sorry to hi-jack this thread, just hoping for some advice! xxx
[/align]

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 8:27am

Hi Dilly,

Once your supply is established you won't get hard boobs unless you go longer than normal between feeds, your boobs are now producing the right amount of milk based on previous feedings so you're not overfull (clever eh!).

Breastmilk is very, very easy to digest so you may well find you get lots of poos (my son goes little and often by pooping almost every feed), wind is also very common, I swear Jensen would fly round the room like a punctured balloon if I let go of him. Greem poos are quite common and may be related to something you are eating, my MW advised that I should only worry if they were dark forest green.

I had loads of probs with latch in the early weeks but it does get better, now I could bf upside down in the dark if the need arose (although i can't imagine it will) so keep going it will get better!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 8:47am

Dilly, your little Dylan sounds just like Isla with the farting / pooing, feeding from both boobs as well as growth spurt and i also never get that full feeling in boobs, except as Grace says when she has had an extra long sleep. Strangely was very good to read your post as i know its not just me

Well done on continuing BFing when in pain, its so hard (i still have mastitis and one boob is very sore to feed from some times). Like you i am very stubborn and determined to BF til 6 months, will see how it goes.

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, February 18th 2010, 9:29am

Dilly, huge pat on the back for keeping going despite all the problems. I'm sure you have heard this before but it does get easier, you just need to be stubborn determined to give it your all. The green poo and windiness can sometimes be a result of too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk but that is usually accompanied by poor weight gain so it doesn't sound like thats the issue, 5oz a week is blinking fantastic, well done you. As Grace says, it could be related to what you are eating. I know MrsSmiff cut out dairy in her diet and it made a big difference, so that could be worth a try.

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 7:35am

Jane, Cody was the same, there seems like loads of growth spurts in those first few months, I always worried I had no milk but just wait a few days and it will seem like there is loads again, milk supply and bubs needs seem to go up and down a bit for a start. Actually just the other day I was wondering the same thing and Cody is 6 months, another growth spurt as seems like lots of milk is back again now! The upside is I've found the few days after a growth spurt are great for getting off extra milk, seems like they adjust to the higher demand and when it calms down again you can let him feed and get extra off afterwards (for what I call 'my stash'), if you then keep doing it, it keeps supply up so the next growth spurt that comes along you have the extra milk to feed through it without the wake ups, it really helped me get through them. But I know expressing is controversial in the early days!

Dilly, Good on you for hanging in there! I ended up using nipple shields on and off when my nips got too sore (eg cracked and bleeding) it let the worst one heal by giving it a feed 'off' now and then, that helped keep me going, by 3 months everything sorted itself out. It can also help to try different holds, for ages I found the football hold the easiest one to use, it just seemed to work best for me, it does get better, they kind of take things into their own hands far more after 3 months, and will even start reaching and grabbing to help shove it in themselves!! To give myself a relax/easy stressfree feed when I was going through that stage I also fed at least once a day in bed, that is lying down on my side, we could just snuggle up side by side, no pressure and he got a really good feed without me having to worry about positioning etc so much. Helped keep me with it and enjoy the feed and cuddle, plus you can get a lie down and even read a book! (I had to do that to ensure I didnt fall asleep!) Cody was also really windy and would have trouble sleeping as he would constantly be pulling his legs up to his tummy. I cant stress enough... burp burp and burp them again, it makes such a difference, dont get lazy with it. I also went to a cranial osteopath and within 3 sessions Cody was 100% better, I was cynical but cant recommend it enough. (Cody was c-section and I dont know if this applies to you too but they said they see a lot of those babies with digestive issues, their theory was those babies didnt get that big get all squashed up coming out then the sudden release on birth where all their muscles spring back and relax and they take a huge first breath, Cody was always very tense and tight and getting him to relax everything really helped things flow and bubble :-) He used to hate being massaged he was so tense now he loves it, well mostly! Just a thought in case its a possibility).
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

tessie

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 9:15pm

Definitely sound slike a growth spurt. They also often start cluster feeding the in the evening and will pop on and off for a few hours. In theory this fills them up so they can do a longer stretch of sleep.