You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Cheryl" started this thread

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 9:30am

A couple of questions

Hi, i've just started expressing breast milk so that I can have time out from little one. At the moment i'm only expressing once a day, first thing in the morning from the breast that Aiden has not just fed from and i'm getting anywhere between 2 and 5 ounces depending on how many times he's fed during the night. I'm worried about expressing more than once just in case theres not enough milk left for Aiden (my breasts are always fuller first thing which is why i'm doing it then). The problem is that when Aiden takes milk from a bottle, he can take 6oz so it's taking ages to build up stores, will have to express every day for two weeks just to get enough for a night out so am too scared to take any out with me so I can feed him by bottle when we're out and about! I guess the question i'm asking is, if I express more during the day will I still have enough milk when Aiden feeds or do I need to be doing something to increase my milk production?

Also, how long can I leave Aiden without a feed? He usually wakes up every 2-4 hours during the night for feeds but that has been increasing over the last couple of nights and last night I fed him at 7:30pm and he still had not woken up by 1:30am so I ended up getting him out of his cot at 1:45am and fed him asleep because I was worried that he needed to feed, he then didnt feed again until nearly 6am. Should I have left him to wake up on his own for a feed or was I right forcing it on him?
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 10:06am

Hey Cheryl

I personally would leave him to sleep. I found TJ always let me know when he wanted fed. If he sleeps longer then more sleep for you :D
Coul you not express when your giving him the EBM and make some up from that and the morning express? As far as I know its ok to mix your milk. I used to do it, Maybe 5 different occasions of an oz at a time to get a bottle made up.
The expressing along with feeding during the day would increase your supply, The more A sucks the more you will make so you might find that for a few days A feeds a little more than often to up your supply.
Good luck hun and hope you get the break you need

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 10:29am

Hi cheryl. I am new to all of this but martha has recently started sleeping for longer at night - anything from 5 to 7 hours. I don't wake her and her weight gain has been the same in last week as previous weeks - 7oz - so am sure she is getting enough food. Surely aiden would wake if hungry? Unfortunately i am full and leaking after only 3 hours at night but i use this opportunity to express. At night i fill up quickly so have enough for her when she wakes later. I would expect that your body would take the expressing in the same way as aiden feeding, i.e. Make more milk! So would adjust to it. How do you feel about mixed feeding? If you are having trouble expressing enough for your needs then using formula for the odd feed would be an option. Altho i am able to express ok at the mo if that changes then i fully intent to fall back on formula for times when i need a little bit of freedom. X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 3:00pm

I would also be inclined to let him sleep, and use the chance to express if your trying to build a 'stash' :-). If he goes down at 7:30
you could express at say 10:30 or even 9:30 (and get to bed), and if he gets up at 1:30 you will def have enough there for him. (If he surprises you and gets u earlier and yourve just expressed you can always just give him that bottle. As long as theres at least an hour and a half to 2 hours between your expressing and his feed you should have 'refilled' by then :-)

When they first drop a feed thats an excellent chance to get some milk stored away. Remember you may only need to have enough for 2-3 feeds
stashed, as when you go out you will get home really full and even if he feeds straight away you may well have enough left over thats been
building up to still get half another feed off. Its always worked that way for me. I can usually get most the next replacement off.

When Cody first dropped his 3am feed I forced myself to keep getting up for a week and get a full batch off at that time, as my milk was always
most abundant over night/early morning, it was a way to get my stores up fast. But the more traditional way is to take off extra after feeds throughout the day, or take say 1-2 ounces (say 2 in the morning and 1 throughout the day, stopping in the arvo when your supply will start to get lower) off before a feed then let him feed and teach your boobs to overproduce.

After you get a bit of a stash I would be inclined to try and get him into routine now where you do the old wake at 10/10:30pm to give him a nice big feed to go down for his longest sleep from then, and get yourself to bed and get a nice sleep in yourself. Hes shown you he can sleep 5 hours easily. An 11 pm-3/4 am sleep is probably something your starting to need at this point yes? And it sounds like Aiden is a clever wee lad already willing to cooperate! If hes fed well all day it shouldnt be a problem. I would be a little worried about him going longer than 5 hours at his age but thats not based on any proper info. Like others said if hes still gaining weight it may well be ok. I remember being told when Cody was just going on 3 months that he should be able to do at least 5 hours by then no problem as he was gaining weight well.

The great thing about expressing regularly is that when they hit a growth spurt you can just feed through it without all the wakeups as you have your body producing the extra milk there ready, so just be prepared to go through a few stints when theres a growth spurt when expressing extra stops working for a few days. Like Pam I always defrosted and mixed milk up, its not a problem, just dont mix previously expressed cold milk with newly expressed warm milk, something about the different temps does something I think.
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Deidre" (Feb 25th 2010, 3:02pm)

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 3:01pm

weird, sorry dont know what happened to the formatting on my last response!!
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP