You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jessica

Superstar

• "Jessica" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 9:29pm

10 Feeds a Day?

Hi all,

Lucas has always been a frequent feeder - proper feeds too, not snacks, as his monumental weight gain testifies! We were down to about 7 feeds a day with him sleeping through from 10pm till 7am / 8am however at the end of January he started waking in the night again and is still doing so - usually 3 times - so we're now on 10 feeds a day.

I don't have a problem with doing this (except for the fact that I'm dog tired), and am not looking for advice about how to refuse him feeds; my concern is that I think this started happening just as I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight so I'm wondering if maybe I've lost some fat reserves or something which means my milk has turned a bit "semi-skimmed"?!

I haven't done anything at all to lose weight, except bf. I've always been fairly slim, though I have a bit of a flabby tum these days, post-baby, however my BMI is back to 18.5 so do I need to eat more cake? Would me putting some weight on make a difference to my milk quality?

Or, could there be another reason for the increase in feeds? It can't be a growth spurt, surely, seeing as it's been going on now for about 6 weeks...?

Oh, and I don't know whether it's relevant or not but we started baby-led weaning as he turned 6 months. He's having lots of fun but isn't eating a huge amount solids-wise yet. I don't want to give up on BLW just to try and reduce the number of bf feeds he has as I know it'll all settle down eventually and I really think BLW is the way to go in the meantime.
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 9:53pm

Hi Jessica,
Maybe Lucas needs more solid food ( more high calorie food) now. What is he eating in the way of solids?
Don't wory about your milk. The quality of breastmilk produced by women who are underweight is the same as that of any other mother. However, if you keep going at this rate your own weight will drop unless you eat more cake. :licklips: So putting on more weight won't affect the already perfect quality of your mlik, but it should give you more energy.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fi'smum" (Mar 10th 2010, 9:55pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 11:22pm

I don't have a problem with doing this (except for the fact that I'm dog tired), and am not looking for advice about how to refuse him feeds; my concern is that I think this started happening just as I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight so I'm wondering if maybe I've lost some fat reserves or something which means my milk has turned a bit "semi-skimmed"?!

I won't tell you how to refuse him the comfort of feeds, as Mum you know him better than anyone and I know that a baby that needs his Mum needs his Mum.

I will say though that there is a stage where children (not just babies, this occurs throughout early childhood... often after the cessation of breastfeeding) become very aware of themselves and clinginess can creep up as they figure out that they want Mum, they get Mum and as a result, they learn to wake themselves up. Not that this is a problem 'if' Mum doesn't mind (which I'm positive you don't) 'but' a baby that wakes themself up for Mum is the same as a baby that wakes themself up for a dummy that has fallen out or if the mobile has turned itself off and it's often a learned behaviour, a patttern if you like. If he's missing out on sleep because he's learning to wake himself up then there are ways of comforting him without adding a breastfeed that 'could' help him to settle back into sleeping through..... :innocent: Now I've given you advice that you didn't want ..... sorry :O

Of course, if he's guzzling a full breast three times per night then it may just be that he needs it at this moment in time for whatever reason. I'd never refuse a hungry baby a breastfeed. Again, as his Mum you know better than anyone what the case is.

I haven't done anything at all to lose weight, except bf. I've always been fairly slim, though I have a bit of a flabby tum these days, post-baby, however my BMI is back to 18.5 so do I need to eat more cake? Would me putting some weight on make a difference to my milk quality?

Putting weight on won't help but making sure that you eat three good meals a day with healthy snacks and plenty to drink will help you relax about your own intake and therefore trust that you have the fuel to sustain another life. It's another box ticked and ruled out.

Or, could there be another reason for the increase in feeds? It can't be a growth spurt, surely, seeing as it's been going on now for about 6 weeks...?

I agree with Chris in that continuing with the higher calorie foods is the way to go. If you're happy that your own weight is being well sustained

Oh, and I don't know whether it's relevant or not but we started baby-led weaning as he turned 6 months. He's having lots of fun but isn't eating a huge amount solids-wise yet. I don't want to give up on BLW just to try and reduce the number of bf feeds he has as I know it'll all settle down eventually and I really think BLW is the way to go in the meantime.

I love the BLW approach and we have several Mums on here who have been very successful with it. I know a couple of them spoon feed alongside BLW.... not sure how you would feel about that? How many meals per day is he having and what kinds of quantities is he taking?

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 8:30am

Hi Jessica

I remember that baby bubble increased her daytime breastfeeds when we started BLW and for quite a while she didn't recognise solid food as something that could satsify her hunger. We've not been purist about BLW and have spoon fed alongside at times, esp things like yoghurts and porridge in the early days (now she attempts to spoon feed herself!). You could try that? And offer snacks as well which are high energy and easy to eat like banana. It did take a while for her to realise that she could have solids instead of a breastfeed instead of as well as.

Conversely to you it was when we started blw that she actually started sleeping through (don't throw the food at me!!). Does he seem really hungry at night? I wonder if its a thirst and trying water might help?

Oh and eat cake!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 8:56am

Just to say that I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above! Also, I used to find that increasing my protein intake used to help when Lochlan was going through 'piggy' phases. Red meat is great, but veggie foods such as lentils are good too if you don't do the carnivore thing.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 9:29am

I had a similar experience with my two and so did a bit of spoon feeding alongside BLW just to make sure they got a good amount. Up until 8 months one of mine was waking 3 times a night and I just couldn't function anymore and eventually realised that I had got myself in to the cycle Bells talks about where I had almost taught him to wake up and need me :sadface:

I think when all else fails 'Eat Cake'! :thumbsup:

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, March 11th 2010, 9:31am

I don't have any advice to add except to say that eating more cake is nearly ALWAYS the right answer :)

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE