You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SCOTTIE" started this thread

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 8:54pm

Considering adding in a formula when i start weaning - any recommendations?

Hi everyone

B is 6 months in 3 weeks & I am very pleased to report she has been exclusively BF till now & will be till she starts weaning at 6 months. However I was considering when she starts weaning if it would be ok to introduce a formula alongside her BFs to free me up a bit when we are out & about or to allow her to be babysat. OMG that sounds really selfish :sadface:....am i bad for wanting to do this? I would express but i am currently only getting 2oz at a time......therefore it will take forever to get enough for a feed! I am currently expressing once daily in the morning & freezing the 2 ounces i am getting in preparation for mixing with her baby rice when she initially starts weaning. Also using some to practice her sippy cup technique which she is doing very well with :D

Please help! Has anyone else done this & if so which formula should i use? Also why do i feel so guilty for even considering formula?
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 10:57pm

Hi
Just to say we exclusively BF up to 6 months. E would not take a bottle after numerous attempts.
However for some reason at 6 months he would drink milk from a beaker - the no frills tommee tippee ones. I hate expressing so I have been using formula - Aptimil is the one generally recommended in this situation. I'm only replacing one feed at the moment, the mid afternoon one. E has dropped the mid morning feed himself.
At the moment we manage fine on BF first thing in morning (7ish), breakfast (9ish), lunch (12ish), formula in beaker - i offer 150ml a sometimes not much taken (3ish) , dinner 5ish, bf (7ish) and bf (11ish) (this is all very ishy as we work round whats on for the day). This seems to be working well for us. I'm toying with the idea of swapping one of the later bf with formula, but not sure if ready to take that leap yet!
If you do change make sure you feed from both sides so to reduce changes of engorgement/mastitis ( a friend got mastitis recently by not doing so).
Good luck
Jen
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 7:55am

Hi Scottie,

You have done so well bfing B, a huge well done!

I think it can bring a mix of emotions, when we start thinking about doing different things as parents, and feeding seems to be a big one! It is easier said than done, but you should not feel guilty at all. Each of us, as Mums, as parents, need to do what is right for us and our babies, and that will mean different things/different ways of feeding, due to circumstances, preferences etc etc! You are not selfish, you are thinking of different feeding options that will work for you all, and if you can get a balance you are happy with, that is great.

Mixed feeding can be a really positive experience. As you say, you get a bit of freedom, which I will admit for myself is nice!I have found expressing quite difficult, and was only getting small amounts. I had enough for the few times I needed to leave L in the early days, but had to be realisitic, that as she got older, using EBM was not going to be a feasible option for me.
For me, with both H and L, when they started solids, it felt for me, the right time to introduce some formula, both in their food, and as a milk feed. We used aptamil, but that's just my preference. With H I mixed fed from about 5-7 months, then swapped to FF, for a few reasons. However, circumstances are different with L, and she is over 7 months now, and we are doing mixed feeding, and it is working well.
She has a bf on waking. then breakfast. She has solids for lunch. She has a ff at about 3pm (I swapped this to ff, as I think she will be having this when I return to work, and again if I want to go out during the day/leave her, it does mean her 'usual' routine allows me the freedom to leave her during the day). She has solids for tea, and bf before bed, and a late night ff at about 10pmish.
So yes, she is only having 2 bf's, but it works well for us, and I really enjoy those 2 feeds. at bedtime, we have a snuggle whilst she feeds, which is lovely, especially if we've had a busy day! It gives us a bit of time together, just cuddling.
I'm hoping, and we'll see how it goes, to carry on mixed feeding when I return to work, though she'll be mostly ff the days I'm at work.

Some people, and my HV suggested it too, go straight to a sippy cup, skipping a bottle. However, I admit we've used bottles with both H and L. It works for us, and I'm not too worried about it. L has a beaker with water, with food, so I'm fine with her having her milk from a bottle.

Anyway, I don't mean that to sound all about me, just wanted to let you know what we have done/what's worked for us.

xxx

<

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 9:03am

Meant to add! When we started the mixed feeding, I dropped the 3pm bf first. We/L then stopped night feeds. I kept the 11amish bf up, and L dropped this by herself, as she took more solids. This has meant up to now, as it was quite gradual, I haven't found I've been sore/engorged etc.
And when I mentioned the sippy cup, don't think I gave a good description! I meant the tommee tippe no frills beaker, as kiwimaya mentioned.

xxx

<

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 10:08am

Thanks Kiwimaya & Compley for your replies. I feel really emotional about it & really never expected to as in the early days i was sure come 6 months i would be like right thats enough now get of my boobs! But i am so NOT! Totally the opposite in fact but i want to be realistic as i want B to be totally off the breast for her sake when i return to work when she is a year. I am returning on nights starting at 7pm till 730am the next morning so i will be gone for well over 13 hours at a time. Therefore i want DH to be able to feed/comfort her in another way at bedtime, morning & during the night etc when/if she wakes. Although she is a thumb sucker which is obviously always available for comfort, so thats a BONUS :snigger: Plus as you said Compley i would like to have the option to leave her in the daytime as my family/close friends are desperate to have her all to themselves! I just dont want to get to 11 months & be rushing to wean her off the breast. This way we can do it gradually, allowing her & me adjustment time.

As for the sippy cup we have all sorts but she is great with the no frills one from the 99p store (think it is a tommee tippee) which she has been using for a couple of weeks with EBM no probs :D I dont intend to give her a bottle, want to go straight to the cup if possible. The HV also said this would be fine.

Looks like aptamil may be the best formula, should i use the follow on one then?
SCOTTIE

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SCOTTIE" (Mar 18th 2010, 10:13am)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 11:25am

Hi Scottie,
Nothing to add to Compleys post, its everything I would advise. Follow on milk is not necessary, its a bit of a marketing ploy by the formula companies. They are not allowed to advertise formula for babies under 6 months so they tweak it a bit and pretend its something different and special, they are then allowed to advertise it and it gets their brand name in mums minds for if they are not breastfeeding younge rbabies. (Steps off soapbox now!) Ordinary formula is fine.

Oh and DON'T feel guilty, you are her mummy, you do whats best for you and your family. You have breastfed up to now and given her the very best start and she will still be getting the benefits of breastmilk, just with a bit of formula now and again. Its only the same as feeding yourself home cooked fresh food with the occasional ready meal. If you succeed in not feeling guilty, please tell me how!

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 12:03pm

We just went to the first milk aptimil one which E likes. At a year (I think) they can go onto cows milk so will continue with this first stage milk until then. If a remember rightly the health visitor said it doesn't matter which aptimil you use.
Laura - I think that we're going to be changing the late night bf to ff soon. I had no real sadness at dropping the daytime ones and as E is such a glutton for solids he does have much anyway so I just found it easier. However I the late night one will be harder for me, and I've been dithering on starting the change. Its good to hear it worked for you. On the plus side I am hoping that it may be a step along helping E to drop that feed sooner rather than later and more sleep for DP and me.
Good luck Scottie.
Jenx
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 12:15pm

I have a few cartons of ready made SMA first infant milk in the cupboard that we bought in early on just in case BF didnt work out as a safety net. So could i just use this then? Its in date till Aug. But since getting it i've heard it can be bad in causing constipation.
SCOTTIE

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SCOTTIE" (Mar 18th 2010, 12:16pm)

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 4:47pm

I'm sure that you can use it and see how bryony goes with it. Aptimil was recommended to me by a few people and by health visitors as its meant to be 'closest to breast milk'. I don't know how much the different/closeness will make to trying to do combination feeding. We did also have SMA which E did not take to though we weren't using a beaker then and he wasn't taking to anything. When we tried him on the beaker he took to aptimil so didn't try the SMA again.
Sorry can't help more. No sure about the constipation thing
Jen
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 8:20pm

A lot of babies get constipated when moving from njust breastmilk to solids too, its because of the extra effort it takes them to poo! I had an interesting time of it with DD2 but plenty of fruit and veg sorted it out. The ready made formula tends not to constipate babies, not sure why, also if its not her only source of nutrition, if she is getting plenty of veg and fruit and boob juice too, then its unlikely that the type of formula you use will make that much difference. And in fact if you are only giving formula every other day or less, ready made probably your best option as the powder will go off before you get through a big tub.

Did all that random waffling make any sense at all?

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 8:57pm

You made perfect sense Mrs J thanks so much. Thats interesting that ready made formula doesnt tend to constipate as much. I will probably stick to ready made for convenience anyway & as you said dont think we would use a big tub quick enough. Plus if i may need to chop & change to get one that suits her wouldnt be worth it.

Thank you Jen for all your advice as well.

I will update the thread when we start to let you know how we get on x
SCOTTIE

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Thursday, March 18th 2010, 9:02pm

Hey Scottie

Iv been using aptamil and have had no problems, I know 3 people who used SMA and had constipated babies, Cow and gate meant to be good too.

Your not selfish and you shouldnt feel guitly, Youv done FANTASTIC to get 6 months with BF and if you want to add formula I think there is nothing wrong with it.

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 11:25am

Well we did it B is happydance 6 MONTHS OLD TODAY happydance & i am so happy to report has been exclusively breastfed till today :weehee:

So this morning for breakfast it was some boob followed by a couple of spoons of babyrice which i had to mix with formula as i lost all my lovely freezer stock of EBM due to a power cut when we where away over Easter :mood: I am really :angry: as it took me AGES to get it built up only managing to express 2oz at at time!!!! Oh well its done now & although I still feel emotional still about reducing breastfeeding I have definetly decided to start to introduce some daily formula feeds now .......B being willing of course xfingers

Will keep you all posted x
SCOTTIE

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SCOTTIE" (Apr 7th 2010, 11:28am)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 11:30am

Well done Scottie. Its a great feeling to know that your little one has had the very best start in life isn't it. I hope you feel suitably proud of yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE