You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "picklesmum" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 10:11am

Possible redundancy/flexible working turned down

Hi girls,

Don't know whether anyone can help? Just looking for a bit of advice really.

Was due back to work on the 6th April from maternity leave. Have had 12 months off.

Before I left I didn't tell work that I wanted to do 3 days. About September a colleague told me there were rumours that we were merging with another company (I work for a firm of Solicitors) I started emailing my boss then to ask about working part time and he told me that we were merging but he couldn't do anything about my hours until the merge had taken place.

Anyway it took place and I had a letter from them also enclsoing a flexible working form 'should i wish to change my hours upon my return from maternity leave'. I filled ito ut and sent it to HR, on Mon 1st March I had a call, I wnet in and saw them saying I wanted to do 3 days.

I had a call from them on the 15th saying unfortunately they couldn't accomodate my request, they had a full time position. The only way they could do it was if they or me found someone to do job share.They said they would be happy to reconsdier then.

I then had a letter confirming this on the 18th. I called them and now they are saying that they only want 1 person full time.

I'm going in to see them at 12.30. Its like they've gone back on theri word though becasue they originally said they would consdier job share.

Please excuse my typos, I'm trying to type really fast as got to get ready in a min!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 12:14pm

Afraid i don't know enough about the legal side to be able to offer advice. However i am sure there is a government website and/or helpline you could call. Not step if citizens advice could help? I know that the nct site has a guide you can download but i haven't read it. Url is www.nct.org.uk/returningtowork

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 12:33pm

Have just read the section on government site about this. I suggest you read it as it contains info about details they must give if they reject your request, the meeting you will attend and how to appeal the decision. Did the letter you receive contain a business reason as to why your application was rejected?

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 4:00pm

Hi Jen, thanks for that, useful. They won't budge on the job share so I have 3 options, go back full time, appeal or be made redundant. Don't want to go back full time, don't particularly want to appeal but think i may have to.

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 7:15pm

Evening

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. I was in a similar position - I wanted to reduce my hours and my request was turned down as it apparently 'didn't meet the needs of the business'. I couldn't afford to walk away and knew an appeal wouldn't get me anywhere so ended up going back on my pre-DD2 hours which has been a bit of a nightmare.

However, I have finally managed to get them to agree to reduce my hours from 1st April - mainly because they're looking to make some savings - and I can't wait.

Is there any way you could go back til you find something else?

Hugs to you - leaving your baby to go back to work is hard enough isn't it without all this aggro!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Tuesday, March 30th 2010, 4:16pm

Hi there,

I hope you manage to sort this out. It seems companies are less likely to go for job share at the moment due to increased costs.
My friend used to work 3 days but recently was told for business reaons she would have to work 4 days, she went to citazens advie but no choice.
My DH has just been refused flexable working for when i return as well, so annoying and he is also deciding if to appeal but doesnt look worth it (he is the only person on site who can do his job)

Good luck

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Reg: Sep 28th 2009

Children: A beautiful, miracle FET baby girl

Tuesday, March 30th 2010, 4:27pm

I've worked in HR and am afraid to report that you don't have much of a leg to stand on, sorry :sadface:
Your employer is only obliged to 'fully consider' your request (and document that 'consideration') - that is the extent of their responsibility.
Given that you work for a firm of lawyers, I have no doubt that they will have all of their paperwork fully in place and that if they don't want you to work part-time, they will be well positioned to ensure it doesn't happen.

The ONLY hope you have is if there is another person in the firm who does exactly the same job as you, and who HAS been allowed to go part-time. Then you could appeal and claim some form of discrimination. If not, I don't think you have any other options to be honest....

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm guessing you'd rather know the score than not.
January 2010 - Natural FET cycle
Harriet Amelia was born on 16th October 2010 - we are SO happy!!!

Wednesday, March 31st 2010, 9:57am

Hi ladies, sorry I got it sorted a few days ago. It's complicated but the company that have taken over ours have also taken over another firm and in June we will all move into one big office. I happened to find out from a colleague that the receptionist at this other office only worked Mon and Fri and that they had a temp to cover the other 3 days so I suggested that I job share with her and we wouldn't need the temp. They agreed (how could they not!) they didn't even know about this, I knew they wouldn't as they've taken us over but know nothing about us at all.

The reason I was thinking of appealing is because I had had a letter just a few days before saying they couldn't agree to me doing 3 days and the only way it could work is if I job shared then they changed their mind and said no. One of their other offices (they have about 5) has/had part time, job share, receptionists so it seemed a bit unfair.

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Wednesday, March 31st 2010, 1:15pm

Thats what happened before me the girl who did this job (and Im still great friends with!) Went 4 days a week whilst having fertility treatment, then whilst she was pg. They tried to get her a part time job but there wasnt any as wed moved offices from Crawley to London. Glad its all sorted though, its another thing to not have to worry about-jsut gotta leave her now eek! xx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE