You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Tuesday, March 30th 2010, 4:04pm

BF and returning to work

Hiya,

Im trying to plan ahead, bascially i return to work in June FT (no choice as i earn double DHs salary - and he just had his request to work part time declined).
Anyway i want to continue to BF, ideally exclusively for 6 months and beyond if possible. My concern is if i will be able to express enough during the day while at work (will make full use of the policy for allowing me to express / store etc), currently i dont get a huge amount when expressing - largest amounts are when Isla started to sleep through night and i woke up rather sore to express. Basically when im not feeding her throughout the day will i have enough to express at work for her feeds at nursery he following day or is there something i can start doing now to ensure enough milk to express.

I know an alternative would be to introduce a formula as well during the day but i really dont want to do this and esp not before the 6 months.

thanks in advance for your help

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, March 30th 2010, 8:43pm

Sorry WeeJaney, my maths isn't up to much, how old will she be when you go back to work? Firstly, is there any way you can have all the holidays you have accrued on mat leave before you go back to delay your return a little bit? Secondly, a former FZer, Sunshine went back to work when both her boys were around 3 months old and with expressing and breast feeding, they were both exclusively fed breast milk until 6 months old so it is doable. What hours will you be working? How long will you be away from your little 'un? how far away are you from home/childcare? Could you squeeze in a breastfeed in your lunch hour if you nipped home or someone brought your baby to you? Here are some other threads you might find useful:

Increasing breast milk production
Expressing
How much milk will my baby need?

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Tuesday, March 30th 2010, 9:18pm

Thanks Mrs J, i will have a look through those threads
Isla will be 20 weeks when i go back, that is me also adding holidays to the end to extend it a bit. Unfortunately i wont be able to squeeze in a lunchtime BF as the nursery is too far away for me to walk to (DH has the car as he works 15 miles from home and im 2), i will be working from 9-5 (wont do futher work / calls til she is in bed) so dropping LO off at 8.15, then DH drops me off before heading to work and vice versa on route home.
I think i really need to work at increasing supply so can express more during day and at night as well to hopefully have enough for her, the link on how much she needs will be fab, must start recording her feeds as she is very much a snacker and feeds a little and often during the day (also going to try and reduce that before i go back) but sleeps through.
I feel guilty if going back to work stops me exclusively BFing but know i have no choice but to go back so just need to do all i can to keep her fully BF

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, March 30th 2010, 9:29pm

I feel for you, I really do. It IS possible to keep her exclusively breastfed though and its not forever. Some useful info if you follow the links on this page too (this is an external site so FZ is not responsible for its content) http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html There's also a forum on there and this section http://forum.kellymom.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21 seems to be full of mums who are working and pumping so there will be lots of useful tips there.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE