You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Deidre" started this thread

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 10:50pm

Dieting and exercise while breastfeeding?

Hi everyone

Well, its about time I got serious about losing this post baby weight! I am around 10 kg heavier than when I did IVF and need to get my BMI down again if we are going to do a FET later in the year (as I'm a BMI of 31). Bubs is now 7 months, on solids but breastfeeding every 4 hours still.

To be honest I'm a bit scared about doing too much exercise or limiting my diet while breastfeeding. Is it really just a matter of drinking lots of water if exercising and not having that second dinner? ;-) I seem to be so hungry since breastfeeding I have actually gained 3 kg of the weight I originally lost after his birth! I used to jog lots but boobs are really not up to doing much of that now even if I give a feed just before my run(I went from size C to E!!).

Any hints and tips for safe weight loss while breastfeeding?
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 7:22am

Hi deidre

I put on a lot of weight when breastfeeding too despite not putting on a lot whilst pregnant.

In terms of exercise, my boobs were a K and what I found worked for me was to wear 2 bras, my feeding bra underneath in case, and my sports bra over the top. This seemed to keep them quite contained.

The majority of breastmilk is water so yes, it's really importanat that you drink loads but I would also say that you need to have a balanced diet. I didn't have carbs with my evening meal and that worked fine for me but did have them with lunch, and the weight did come off! You have got a little bit of an advantage in that you're burning an extra 500 or so calories through breastfeeding.

Good luck

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, March 31st 2010, 8:25am

Hi Diedre,
I've moved this down here, hope thats ok with you. I thought you'd get more response and also it might be of use to other bf mums who have some lard to shift !
I found these for you
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/mom-exercise.html
These are obviously external links and FZ is not responsible for the content.
I seem to be quoting Kellymom all over the place at the moment but I like it, their information is evidence based, its not just opinion, its based on proper experience and research about breastfeeding so its reliable.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE