You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "poppit26" started this thread

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 3:39pm

just started weaning

hi there....bubs is 17 weeks (i know recommended advice etc but it was suggested by HV) and hes like a lil baby bird! hes had baby rice mixed with formula and has been munching his way through a jar of sweet potato bake. now the questions is...how much how often?

hes been having a (baby) spoon of b/rice with formula for brekkie (made with the contents of his 7oz bottle, then has his bottle but may not have it all and have the rest within the hour. he sort of tells you when hes hungry if you know what i mean. then he has lunch os potato bake and a bottle, he'll have his 'high tea' bottle around 4pm with his tea about 6pm with a bottle between then n 8pm, last bottle around 10pm then bed. obviously with naps in between. hes seems okay with this and i havent had to force/ coerce etc. so i presume hes ready/happy

on the other hand when hes being flipant with his bottle hes started to gag with it and seems only really happy with his bottle when its nap time....i feel its a bit too early for a sippy type cup ?(

any advice would be great!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 9:11pm

Not sure Poppit. Don't forget at this stage milk should still be his main source of nutrition so solids should really be just about exploring tastes and textures so I would suggest only small amounts otherwise he might be too full to take in enough milk and miss out on nutrients he needs. What does your HV recommend?

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 10:09pm

Poppit

I started giving TJ some solids when he turned 4 months, He is back on just milk as he wasnt needing them and being sick etc what I would suggest is giving him his milk first then trying him with some food afterwards, This makes sure he is still taking his milk, I think they recommend 21-28oz a day up til a year old so that would be 4 x 7oz.
Perhaps instead of putting baby rice in his milk make it up and spoon feed him, Also half a rusk is a good one mixed with milk, more ways to add more milk in.
Have you recently upped his teat size? just thought that might be why he could be gagging on his bottles, Iv bought fast flow teats but TJ not ready for them yet.

You could try morning bottle then 4 hourly milk feeds which would be your 4 bottles and then some solids in between if he seems hungry before his 4 hours.
Hope you get on ok, There is heaps of info on the web but I guess you really know best with ho much he wants/needs etc.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 10:29pm

Have you looked at this thread Poppit WEANING - UK FOOD STANDARDS HELP & ADVICE ?

It clearly sets out the guidelines on weaning. Given that your HV has suggested early weaning I think the best thing would be to ask her advice on how much and how often.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 11:29pm

he' ll have 6-7 bottles a day @ 7oz each ( he weighed 20lb 13oz @ 16wks) sometimes he'll have a bit more oor half hour later he'll want a bit which is why HV said he seems ready. i was told not to give rusk til @ least 6months due to gluten allergy risk (to be on the safe side apparently though we have nothing like that in the family) though she didnt give anymore advice. may phone her tomoz
when he doesnt want any more food he spits it out or starts :raspberry: everywhere! when hes had enough milk he just turns his head away

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 1:29am

Mmm...

Well my love. It's tough being a new Mum on the receiving end of advice from lots of people. Your HV is, of course, a person with some medical knowledge and she has met you and your baby so she's going to be the most trusted person (regarding your little one's health) to you at the moment.

The problem is that your health visitor doesn't seem to be following current guidelines regarding weaning. Now, it could be that she's a maverick, it could be that she's stuck in the olden days or it could be that your baby is an anomaly and, for some reason, he needs weaning much earlier than other babies.

I'm one of those Mums from the 'olden days'. When my eldest was born the information was to wean at 16 weeks. This usually meant that eager Mums around me were weaning at 10-11-12-13 weeks. That consisted of spooning several teaspoons of slop into their mouths in an attempt to get them eating, get them sleeping, quieten them down and be ahead of the crowd. In fact, years ago, the earlier you weaned your baby, the better your baby 'was'. Go figure...! I even have pics of me feeding my baby in a bouncy chair because she couldn't sit up!! Imagine feeding a baby solids who couldn't sit unaided!!!!!

In hindsight, there was no real reason to feed the babies so early, not with the proven research showing that children weaned early are more prone to alleries and being fat in later life....

I also went through the whole 'spitting it out, wiping it off their chin, putting it back in, them spitting it out... etc...!' thing. In hindsight and with the benefit of modern research and advice I wonder why I spent those months pureeing food and poking teaspoons of goo into mouths when I really wish I'd just held off and waited a few more weeks. Baby led weaning wasn't invented back then (I didn't even have the internet too find out about other methods) so I took the word of my HV as gospel. How I wish I'd waited, researched and had the benefit of Google.

All I'm saying is, your HV may be right, she may be wrong. If your baby isn't that bothered and if you're spending your days making up runny stuff that's being spat out.... maybe it's too early to wean? Milk is the biggest factor at the moment, would your life be easier if you were's bothering with baby rice and stuff?

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 11:12am

i know what you mean bout the old rules as my to other DS now 14 n 11 were weaned from 12 wks neither are overweight etc though my eldest was diabetic from birth (they seem to think though they didnt pick up on it til he was 4) so this bubs isa bit ofa mystery lol hes not spitting it out and seems to be enjoying it, he had creamy porridge this morning and it was gone very quickly and spent 5 mins after playing with the spoon in his mouth.

as for my HV....jury is out my mate cant stand her! she does seem to give conflicting advice as a few weeks ago it was no dont do that til 6 months then a cpl weeks later have you tried him on ...whynot? etc

pamelag088

Superstar

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 5:39pm

poppit you get gluten free rusks

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 7:17pm

good point and it is duly noted :) hows you...havent seen you about, hows you doing?

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 7:23pm

I have to say - I waited to almost 6 months (without few days) and I am so happy with this decision, DD is/was so ready to have solids, love it and never even spit any of it, it goes very easy and basically joy all over. I was reading alot about 4 months 6 months etc and decided to wait. Good luck with your weaning, I don't want to .... you know but I would wait a little bit.

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

pamelag088

Superstar

Saturday, April 10th 2010, 10:05pm

Il say Im fine and thats that :snigger: More info in my diary if you really want to know.

How you getting on? Did you get the gluten free rusks? M seem to be any more content in the belly dept?
Tj been all over the place sleeping through one night and waking twice for a feed the next. Content with 4 bottles one day and needing 6 the next. Not sure whats going on but he seems to know what he is doing so leaving it up to him. He will be 5 months in 10 days and going to ask the HV about solids too. Not planning dropping his milk just adding more on top of his milk.

Sorry totally hi-jacked your thread :snigger:

Friday, May 14th 2010, 1:57pm

JUST STARTED WEANING AGAIN PROPERLY THIS TIME....
and now hes more interested in putting his hands in it! can remember what im supposed to be doing! lol

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE